• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much notice?

candie

fabby not flabby :)
How much notice do you get before you go back to the hospital for pre op checks etc?I am on the waiting list and have been to see the surgeon once, and he said the op will prob be in April, but I want to loose a bit of weight before I go back really:eek::eek:
Also do I get the diet thing and have the pre op check on same day?:confused:

Hi Candie,

I didn't get much notice at all lol. I was under the impression after seeing Mr Brough the first time that I would hear quite quickly, so 4 weeks later when I hadn't heard I ended up speaking to the lady who schedules the ops for him, and got my date over the phone (caught her at the right time). I think that was 4 or 5 weeks before the op, and my pre-op was 15 days before the op itself so I had to start the diet the next day.

At the pre-op I saw the nurses, who did the MRSA swab, blood tests and an ecg. I also saw the dietician, who gave me the pre-op diet and discussed the post op stages etc too.

HTH :)

Shel

Thanks shel;):D

I was told on the tuesday night I was having the op on the friday, my pre op was for the thursday and I was told to just eat healthy till the op, however, on the tuesday night or the wednesday (cant remember which now) I was told the op was on saturday....the pre op was something and nothing and as I took my mate with me we had such a laugh with the nurse at the Spire, we were labelled trouble....its all exciting I think as it means your on your way..xx

Just checked my blog, dates as follows

30th April - Initial appointment with Mr Brough
16th June - Phone convo with secretary given date
1st July - Pre-op appointment
16th July - Surgery

I spoke to her that day because I had a letter confirming that all of my other consultants had agreed to the surgery (he checked with a couple of them cos of my health probs) and that I would be added to the waiting list, which freaked me out as I thought it meant 3 months from then not from the appointment in April. I can't remember her name for the life of me but she was a god send when I spoke to her!

Heres a link to the blog post which covers the pre op appointment and whats involved http://gastricbypass.blog.co.uk/2008/07/01/pre-op-appointment-4390490

My answer to this one is always, how long is a piece of string?! It varies from surgeons to hospitals. I was 18 months from initial appointment to op, but others that went on the waiting list the same time as me (6 months before op) are still waiting for some reason!!

Harrass, harrass, harrass!! ;)

Thanks everyone:DI am happy having it in April or later, as it gives me time to help my Daughter with the baby;):D

Hi Charliegirl is the spire the same as the alex?...if they only did your pre-op the a couple of days before do they not have to wait for blood results and is there not a danger your liver would be to big...im only asking this cos im worrying i havent had my pre-op yet and i keep thinking something will happen which means they will cancel op!! they also didnt seem to make a fuss about the pre-op diet just sent it me via e.mail..i will follow it to the 't' but i am wondering at the importance of it..dont i go on!!

Back