• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much should i be able to eat?

juliagulia

IM 10 weeks post op. what size protein should I be able to eat per meal? 2 oz? 3?4? I know to stop when I'm full but I'm just trying to get an idea where other people are at

Hi. I quite literally JUST joined the site and I'm booked in for Gastric Sleeve in 2 weeks, eeek! and my dietician showed me a product she got from Great Ideas in Nutrition

It's a plate and bowl that has diagrams on it to show how much of the plate should be filled with protein, how much veg/salad etc. It also comes with a book and a 'Snack Bible'. It's a bit pricey at around AU$60 but I think it's something I'll be getting just to dumb it down for myself. I don't know if it's something you'd be interested in but even if you just have a look at the pictures to get some kind of idea. Hope this helps! :0)

Hi Julia. I'm pre-op, but the literature that has been supplied to me from Heartlands is that from 5 weeks post-op you should be having 2 to 3 portions of protein a day, each 60-90grams (2-3 ounces each portion). I hope this helps.

Hey there. Im about 8 weeks post op. i can eat about 1/3rd of a ready meal.

A full bag of crisps

1/2-3/4 of a wrap

1 piece of toast

So id say roughly half of what a 'healthy persons' portion size is.

Hey there. Im about 8 weeks post op. i can eat about 1/3rd of a ready meal.

A full bag of crisps

1/2-3/4 of a wrap

1 piece of toast

So id say roughly half of what a 'healthy persons' portion size is.

I am very surprised that those are the foods you are choosing to eat. :eek: They are the exact foods I will go to great lengths to avoid. I was told to eat dense protein at 8 weeks and then fill up on veg! I can't think of any crisps fulfill that criteria! Are you not scared of falling back into bad habits or malnutrition? Does your dietitian offer you any advice?

i am very conscious of eating protein. I always use a small side plate for my meals, 1/2 is veg, 1/4 is protein and 1/4 is carb. (I never actually weigh it - but pick things like salmon, fish, chicken etc) I am 10months post op now and still find a side plate satisfies me - sometimes i cant finish whats on plate so I always make sure I eat my protein 1st.

Julia am I right in thinking you are in the USA? I think you should be aiming for at least a half cup portion of food at any meals. Plus remember to eat your protein first.

Wendy

I am very surprised that those are the foods you are choosing to eat. :eek: They are the exact foods I will go to great lengths to avoid. I was told to eat dense protein at 8 weeks and then fill up on veg! I can't think of any crisps fulfill that criteria! Are you not scared of falling back into bad habits or malnutrition? Does your dietitian offer you any advice?

I think the poster is trying to give an example of how much she can eat. I doubt very much she is having those foods at every meal.

It is annoying though that some starchy carbs go down easier than a lot of protein filled foods. I suppose it teaches us the foods that got us overweight in the first place are still difficult to resist.

The WLS is just a tool and I know I am still learning exactly how to use it. ;-)

Wendy

I still think 8 weeks post op is very early to have tried all these foods! I am going to treat my tool like the gift it is.

I was merely listing foods which have an obvious size. I dont weight things, so thats why i said roughly half a healthy persons portion.

Today im having garlic and rosemary infused shoulder or lamb, with stuffing, mash, mushy peas, a roaster and gravy. And portion wise, it will be about what i expect a 7 yr old to eat. So half of a side plate maybe??

Ive lost 4lbs this week trying new things and learning what works for me. :)

Gift it is, but at £9k an expensive one!!

That sounds yummy MissDiet :)

And you are right at the expense!

honeykiss said:
Julia am I right in thinking you are in the USA? I think you should be aiming for at least a half cup portion of food at any meals. Plus remember to eat your protein first.

Wendy

Yes Wendy I am in the USA! What was the give away?
I avg about 3 oz-4 oz so I'm ight where I should be!
Thanks for posting

Back