• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How soon did you return to work post-op

penelope1008

Hi, my date is fast approaching and I have booked a leave of absence for 3 weeks as it now turns out the last 3 weeks of term so not too bad for cover either as my remaining class is out on work experience for 2 of them so only my support lessons to cover for the boss and no planning for me beyond my teaching class. But I am just wondering how long I should be taking off. The Bariatric nurse says I should be back in 2 weeks, perhaps 1 as some of her patients have done, from reading many of the posts here I am not sure either of these is a good idea. How long did any of you take off, if my date hadn't changed I wuld have still had a few weeks of term to do if I took 3weeks off. Our schol is a huge one nearly 2k pupils over a big site and the bag I carry with my work and stuff to support the kids I work with is a ton weight so not sure it would have been a good idea or even going in for the last week if they only sign me off for two weeks in the end.

Sorry cant help as I'm pr-op like you. Ive heard of people taking at least 3 but sometimes as many as 6. I'm planning on taking 4 and hope that will be enough but I will just have to see. I think the main think is listen to your body and go with it, dont put too much pressure on yourself. If you are ready after 3 weeks then great x Good Luck x

hi, i think it really all does depend on your job, i had eight weeks off in total but im a personal carer to a client with a brain injury who can sometimes be aggressive. i took that long because i do a lot of moving and handling.

i was off for 4 weeks with a sedentary job. You shouldnt be carrying heavy loads too soon after surgery as you risk a hernia.

hi, i think it really all does depend on your job, i had eight weeks off in total but im a personal carer to a client with a brain injury who can sometimes be aggressive. i took that long because i do a lot of moving and handling.
Of course, I hadnt thought of manual jobs silly me I just assume everyone sits on their butt all day like me lol x

I went back to one of my jobs on tuesday, after 9days. I look after 4yr old twins in the afternoon for about 3 hrs and only collect them and cook dinner, get them ready for bed. They know I have had an operation to 'make my tummy smaller' and are very good. Still hugging me but being very careful, bless them. Buuuut, I am exhausted! 2 days of work and I slept for 13hrs last night!!!

My other job is as a health care assistant (home care) and took 3wks in total (another week and a half) off that job due to the bending and lifting etc. Surgeon said this is fine but tbh am dreading going back unless my energy levels improve as I work 11hr days when I'm at both jobs!!!

I had my pre-op yesterday and they told me at least 4-6 weeks of but ive only told work 2 weeks, think everyones different and depends how u feel afterwards. I have my OP date for 20th June so fingercrossed everything goes ok, both my jobs are sat down at a desk so i should be fine.

I'm still off back next week, after 8 weeks.xx

Thanks ladies don't feel so bad taking the 3 weeks I had booked. Which is taking me until the end of term and then I am lucky with the summer break of another 6wks so I should be fighting fit after 9wks off and able to lug my bag around but I take your point of not carrying too much weight incase I get a hernia last thing I need is more time off for that.

Great question! I've told work I'm aiming for two weeks off, mainly because I only get ssp so have had to use my holidays. I'm fully expecting three weeks though! X

i gotta do it in 2 im self employed and cant get cover for any longer than that

I must admit I am lucky with holidays although the pay for 40 weeks is spread across 52weeks which isn't so great nor the kids when they play up. But the holidays do allow us a chance to recover before the next round and for me once again an op prior to the summer break means I have a bit longer and paid to recover.

HI HUN,
I had my last day at work today before my op on Monday. I've told work 4-6 weeks, they've had to get a temp in to do my work and she'll be there til end of July.
And my boss even told me today not to rush back til I'm ready and then to do shorter days to ease myself back in! Mind you makes up for all the hours I do and don't get paid for! I get paid for 35 and did 48 this week trying to rebuild a database following a huge company restructure!

i informed work that i was having my op on the 30th of august .............they asked how long i'd be off and my reply was 3-8 weeks you should've seen their faces ............it made i laff :8855:

I only had a week, but I was driven into the office and I sit down all day. Everyone is different. I wish I had taken more time off looking back x

Back