• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Time off work post op?

Hello everyone,

I have my RNY Gastric Bypass surgery on 17th October. I have decided not to make my surgery decision public, so rather than take time of work sick I have booked the 2 weeks following the op off work. I do a desk job. Will this be enough do you think? I would be interested to know everyone elses experience of recovery time. Also, how long before you were driving again?

I was driving after 2 weeks. I was off work for 11 weeks post op. My job is very active, I nurse on a stroke unit. But had I had a desk job I think I could have gone back after 4 weeks. Everyone is different, but it is major surgery. Look after yourself.

I was driving after 2 weeks aswell and went back to work exactly 4 weeks to the day. I work 12hr shifts at a desk but I found it pretty hard first few days with fatigue. But after a week back I was just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I was told I could be signed off for three weeks but most people go back after two... I am also doing a desk job so hope to be back at work just as you are getting back from 'your hols' ... apply lots of fake tan! lol. This question has come up a bit on the forum so I have been clocking the answers with interest for the same reason...and the majority seem to go back 2-3 weeks post op. With regards to driving you may not be covered by your insurance to drive before you go back to work.

I could never have gone back after two weeks. 3 minimum. I got 9 weeks off partly because of the way the school term works.

I am determined to heal fast! :)

Lol, its not the healing thats the problem! Its the fatigue.

So I understand but I'm hoping I will be ok. I really want to keep my op under wraps if I can

Hi I took 2 weeks holiday and also have a desk job - I could have gone back after a week as I felt fine. The hardest will be eating on front of people (or not eating lol).

I had my bypass just over a year ago - best thing I ever did. I'm at goal now and I'm really happy with everything, which if you read my earlier posts you will find funny as I regretted it for a couple of months lol

Good luck with your op x

Forgot to say I did have a week at my mums being waited on hand and foot - I have three kids and my MIL came down to look after them but I'm sure having a whole week of rest really helped my recovery. I didn't really suffer with more fatigue than usual but my youngest were 2 and 3 at the time so I was always shattered anyway lol

Hi I took 2 weeks holiday and also have a desk job - I could have gone back after a week as I felt fine. The hardest will be eating on front of people (or not eating lol).

I had my bypass just over a year ago - best thing I ever did. I'm at goal now and I'm really happy with everything, which if you read my earlier posts you will find funny as I regretted it for a couple of months lol

Good luck with your op x
Thank you so much, that is really good to know. I will be at my parents for the first week and longer if I need it. Fingers cross it will pan out as I hope. Nervous now but good to hear of your success. Well done and thanks for the support x

Hi jane, I'm two weeks post op today. I've been walking most days and started driving yesterday. Started on puréed foods today so hoping that will improve the tiredness, hoping to get back to work next week. X

Hi jane, I'm two weeks post op today. I've been walking most days and started driving yesterday. Started on puréed foods today so hoping that will improve the tiredness, hoping to get back to work next week. X
Thank you. So good to hear. How have you found things post op?

The first few days were a little rough for me tbh. Mostly because the surgery brought on a killer of a 3 day migraine, pain wise very little. By day 4 I was walking, slowly but feeling much better. Every day since I have just felt better and better. Not to jinx it but food wise I have had no problems, early days yet, but very optimistic.
Good luck for your op and a speedy recovery. Let us know how you're doing. X

I took two weeks minus a day after my bypass. Was driving after about 10 days. I also have a desk job. As Lippy says, the move to purees makes it easier as those first two weeks post-op on very few calories are very challenging (on top of the recovery from surgery). You will be on simple liquids (ie coffee, tea, NAS squash, diluted fruit juice, etc) which will put your body into ketosis. I thought I was going to collapse I was so weak - I'd done four weeks pre-op liquid LSD of approx 600cals a day, so was really at my limit. I was glad I was not at work for those first two weeks after. Everyone is different. You should not push yourself. As I say, I was weak but ready to return to work. I don't think I went back too soon, but that's just my experience. xxx

I took two weeks minus a day after my bypass. Was driving after about 10 days. I also have a desk job. As Lippy says, the move to purees makes it easier as those first two weeks post-op on very few calories are very challenging (on top of the recovery from surgery). You will be on simple liquids (ie coffee, tea, NAS squash, diluted fruit juice, etc) which will put your body into ketosis. I thought I was going to collapse I was so weak - I'd done four weeks pre-op liquid LSD of approx 600cals a day, so was really at my limit. I was glad I was not at work for those first two weeks after. Everyone is different. You should not push yourself. As I say, I was weak but ready to return to work. I don't think I went back too soon, but that's just my experience. xxx

This is good to know.. I was getting a bit worried as I have only booked two weeks off and in my head I am going back after two weeks. But a lot of people have said considerably longer... When I had my gallbladder removed by keyhole a few years ago, I was at a party 3 days later and back at the desk 4 days later...so I just assumed it would be the same just took extra time for the throwing up and feeling weak which I want to do in he comfort of my own home.

I only took one week off after my bypass - I have a part time desk job - was tired first few days back but just kept fluids up and managed OK - you will be fine x

I am pretty active at work an could not have coped. But everyone is different.

I think the most important thing is to listen to your team. If they say 4 weeks take 4 weeks. Likewise if they say less or more, listen to them. They do this for a living so really they should know best.

I got a slap on the wrist from my surgeon for only taking 4 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I work from home, so will probably be ok with 2 weeks to recover from the fatigue! I'm glad I'm at home so I don't have to explain the eating (lack of) to everyone!

Back