• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I had no idea Revision existed!

PixieX

Hi all, I'm almost speechless !!!! I have never heard that Revision Surgery exists - surely for it to exist, that means it's needed and if it's needed that must mean that I'm not the only person feeling a complete failure for struggling with weight gain after bypass surgery

I had a full bypass approx 8 years ago in Sheffied. I was 26.7 stone. I lost 13 1/2 stone over the first year and then plateaud. I didn't receive any counselling or coping strategy development - just off you go a day after surgery and come back once a year for blood tests.

Over the past 3 years, I've started to struggle again, turn to food as a crutch after some painful bereavement and tough life stuff and hate myself more with every regained stone. I'm 18 1/2 stone now and officially morbidly obese again.

I'm not sure that if I actually want further surgery but what has astounded me is that there may be a few other people for whom WLS has not answered all their weight problem prayers.

I wouldn't wish the embarrassment, worthlessness and failure feelings I have for finding myself in the cycle of weight gain after such a massive op but maybe there's more to my perceived failure than me just being an idiot?

X

Kar8858

Don't feel like you are the only one...it seems after the initial honeymoon period of weight loss a lot of people start to put it back on..old habits die hard!
I think in a few years the nhs will move away from wls as long term it won't save them money like they had hoped due to patients regaining several years out and the obesity related illnesses returning.
Wls is not a miracle cure..just a tool..and over time tools wear out!
Just try regain your initial focus and get back to basics..only you can do this for yourself, your tool is still there! X

top_kat

You are not alone. I am currently waiting to convert from a failed Band - my tool - to an MGB

Bear

I think Karina hit the nail on the head. The surgery is a tool to get you to a place where you're confortable. It's then up to your mindset to keep you in that place. It really is so tough Piziex and don't think you're alone. I got to my current weight 8 months post sleeve surgery. I'm now 21 months post surgery and although my portions are still half the size of a normal person, if I don't keep an eye on things, a couple of pounds slips on. I truly think the body adjusts to the limited portions we can have. I'm sorry you didn't have counselling (were you NHS??). I had private surgery but equally had no counselling or really much guidance at all. We're all essentially on our own, although this forum can be a support system. Would it be worth you trying to get that counselling now?