• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Revision of Gastric Bypass

fhmt

Hi

I've just had a gastric bypass revision - had bypass done 5 years ago and didn't realise until after my second pregnancy post op that things weren't as they should be so had CT scan which showed something which needed to be looked at so endoscopy and laparoscopy were booked! Found out I was accidentally pregnant week before op! Most horrendous pregnancy entailed ending with me on oramorph for the pain I was in at baby finally arrived at 35 weeks after being barely able to move since 20 weeks due to twist in my bowel - husband had to stop working full time and become cater - it was a nightmare! Baby completely healthy so then had 2 ops as above where they discovered a 'blind end' so food had been getting stuck there and I usually bought up anything that was not a biscuit and didn't disintegrate straight away! As a result I was malnourished and they inserted a feeding tube into my stomach (not recommended). I had this for four months whilst they re nourished me and got me as healthy as possible to 'survive the op! I then had a revision to remove the blind end and get rid of vast numbers of adhesions (original bypass was open) and sort out kinks and twists in my bowel! I'm 5 weeks post op and went as well as it could. I'm suffering from hunger in both stomachs old and older!! The hunger from my old stomach where they inserted the feeding tube. My stomach also feels incredibly numb and as a result find it incredibly difficult to judge quantities? I just wondered if anyone else has had similar? They refashioned my pouch again so I'm back to square one not quite as horrific as it was first time round but hate that I can barely eat again and have to go thru it all again! I was happy where I was at I originally had lost 10.5 stone in 6 months and had put three back on (could only eat biscuits!) and I was happy.

Apologies for sounding so down about it all - it's just been a long and horrid journey. I had no choice but to have it done due to malnourishment and constant sickness. I am hoping someone will tell me that there is light at the end of the tunnel as am So incredibly resentful I had to endure it all again.

How horrible :( it sounds like you have a team who are supportive - have you spoken to them about support and help? It does get easier with time and you know that having been down this road once before. Also remember that the nerves will need 8 weeks to heal and don't expect to feel your restriction until then. You've done it before and you will do it again.

Thank you - especially about the stomach nerve endings needing 8 weeks. Although I have done it before it is very difficult to judge what is a normal way to feel especially since the first time it was never right. I could not drink more than 60mls at any one time the first time and the thirst was horrendous so was quite shocked that I could drink a drink albeit slowly this time round. Hoping I will be able to gradually eat normal foods again. Craving apples, salads and meats as haven't been able to eat properly for almost 6 years. I cannot regret it for a second as now have three gorgeous babies age 3, 2 & 1. My fatness had previously been a fab form of contraception - not one I'd recommend though lol xx Thank you again. Sometimes you just people to remind you that it is going to get better.

I completely understand. There are several people here who have had revisions - some very successfully.

Back