• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I know how the NHS wastes money!

Peterborough Guy

Luton and Dunstable
So as some of you will know, I have signed up to be a DJ at the local hospital radio station, which I am looking forward to, as I use to be a DJ years ago at weddings and black tie events etc.

Anyway, you wouldn't believe what hoops I have had to jump through to be a volunteer DJ.

Firstly I had to go to a 'Introduction to the Trust' presentation, which to be fair, wasn't aimed at volunteers at all, and was from 8.30-13.00.

Also had to get a 'CRB' done, which I can fully understand is needed.

Two references were needed.

And now, I have been 'accepted', I have to go and have a 'screening' done and a fitness test, even though I have my ID badge and free parking now. If I was running the trust, I would have thought the 'fitness test' would have come first, because if I don't pass that, I can't work, which means all the others things have been a waste of time.

Grrr NHS Trusts lol

sounds a little back to front lol

Your logic is flawed. The fitness test will cost them more money than the CRB check and that is carried out externally and takes time to complete. What is the point of checking if you are fit enough to be passed as an acceptable risk by their insurance company, (A requirement of their insurance policy, even as a volunteer you are "employed" by the trust whilst performing work on their behalf) only to then find that you're unsuitable to work with children or vulnerable people? No point what so ever. So maybe it's a good thing you're not running the trust LOL :D

There is a great deal of money wasted by the NHS and during my five weeks in hospital with my background running a business for my employer, I saw lots of ways to save real money, but the process you allude to is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Well done with the volunteering and good luck with it, it's nice to give back.

Your logic is flawed. The fitness test will cost them more money than the CRB check and that is carried out externally and takes time to complete. What is the point of checking if you are fit enough to be passed as an acceptable risk by their insurance company, (A requirement of their insurance policy, even as a volunteer you are "employed" by the trust whilst performing work on their behalf) only to then find that you're unsuitable to work with children or vulnerable people? No point what so ever. So maybe it's a good thing you're not running the trust LOL :D

There is a great deal of money wasted by the NHS and during my five weeks in hospital with my background running a business for my employer, I saw lots of ways to save real money, but the process you allude to is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Well done with the volunteering and good luck with it, it's nice to give back.

I take your point Karl, and I have run my own business as well, but either way, you could be out at either stage, if you dont pass the fitness test your out, but if you dont pass the CRB your out, so its a no win situation.

I take your point Karl, and I have run my own business as well, but either way, you could be out at either stage, if you dont pass the fitness test your out, but if you dont pass the CRB your out, so its a no win situation.

I am incredulous as to what you were trying to achieve with this thread, unless it was just another way to let us know what a great thing you are doing in volunteering to do the radio work.

You seemed to be claiming that the NHS were wasting money because they should have done the fitness screening tests first? yet clearly this is more expensive than the cost of a routine CRB check, and I know the costs because all my 300 field based staff are CRB checked, and all have to have fitness for work medical checks too.

The CRB check takes several days if not weeks to be completed dependant on the efficiency of the local police authority, and of the three costs the least so its a no brainer to get that completed before the others, or so I would have thought :confused: so again I have no idea what purpose this thread serves

Well Gary, whatever the purpose of this thread, I think you do right to let us all know about your voluntary work as hospital radio DJ. I tend to see your point of doing the fitness thing before the CRB as, would you really apply to do this knowing your background would be checked, if you had something to hide?! I get your point about the hurdles you have to go over in order to do something fairly straight forward, I had to have my garden fence repaired so I could look after a boy in foster care, so he didn't get out of the garden. He's severely disabled and can't even move around the living room....? Anyway, fence is fixed!
Good luck with this new venture, and if you do requests, will you play Blueberry Hill, by Fats Domino please..... x

I don't understand the fitness test part of it, but with ur weight loss ull sore top marks...... Most companies are backwards in coming forward these days.

Hopefully ull be on the air soon hunnie xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Most posts that you apply for these days need checks of one sort or the other, whether they are totally neccessary for every little thing is debatable, but I guess its a means to an end!
Wishing you well Gary at being a hospital DJ. I`m sure you`ll make lots of patients very happy.

Please can I have a request for my hubby to be for Hot Chocolate `It started with a kiss`

Love Kat

Back