• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ill before op...help

LisaG

Disappearing slowly
Hi all,

Just wondering what happens if you're not well before the op?

I've been hiding myself away so not to catch any germs but my office buddy was coughing and spluttering last week and now I have it.

I'm hoping it will go before my op...16 days, but what if it doesn't? Will they cancel my op?

Help!:cry: _____________

Hi Lisa i can tell u we are all worried about that, the same happened to me a week b4 surgery, i dosed myself up on nurofen every day to keep symptoms at bay right till the night b4 my op and also took Echincea which boosts ur immune system.
What i was told that as long as ur dont have a temp or the cold is on ur chest you should be ok but def try and dose urself up now xxx

i have been the same...caught my cold 2 weeks ago...luckily i am one of these that get everything really bad staright away then slowly get rid of it.
my op is in 4 days...and am now just trying to get rid of the tail end of my cold, though i am nowhere near as bad as i was about 10 days ago....fingers crossed i'm ok on saturday :)

Exactly the same thing happened to me - had a cold 2 weekends before, it went, came back the weekend before, I dosed myself up on Lemsips till the day before the op and was fine thereafter. I think sometimes its almost as though your body is saying - Woah, hold on, whats happening here - and it goes into meltdown hence you get all sorts of bugs going round! Dose yourself up and you will be fine!

Hi LisaG
I have been unwell last week also and just getting over it and getting in a state about my op on Tues. I went to see a gp and was told that the surgeons would only be concerned if your blood pressure or your pulse was raised at the time and if you are getting over it all should be well x

that's good to hear...so basically don't stress out about the cold and your blood pressure won't be through the roof, just high due to stress of op hehe j/k :D

it seems to be pretty common, perhaps its stressing out about having surgery that does it. i too have had a stinking cold, sore throat and lost my voice,(my hubby was very plzd) so i got myself off to the docs and got some antibiotics just to be safe, its best to get checked out just in case you need them. hope you feel better soon hun x

Thanks everyone - it's kind of good to hear I'm not alone...must be down to the anxiety. Starting to feel a little better today - just have to shift this cough. Better start dosing myself up :)

Back