• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Im not fat enough!!!!

Starlit_Cazza

Testing the water...
Just followed the link from "where to start for NHS funding". This is what is says for my PCT:

BMI over 60 or over 45 with serious comorbidities such as established ischaemic heart disease, type 2 diabetes requiring oral medication or insulin, life-threatening sleep apnoea, severe uncontrolled hypertension, benign intracranial hypertension, history of transient ischaemic attacks or stroke, severe lower limb major joint disease requiring orthopaedic intervention which is precluded on safety grounds due to the patient’s BMI.

My BMI is "only" about 44 right now. Urgh, just my luck to live in a PCT are that seem to have the highest requirements...:mad:

So to qualify for NHS funding down here I need to get my weight up to 400lb!!!! That means a gain of about 9stone. Its mad :mad:

Is it worth me even applying or do I just give up now?

Hi.
sorry to hear this. Thats worse than mine. I am the same as you but I am not giving up! do you want to join me on a journey to beat this! read my posts and we can start planning what to do next. Everyone will help you on this forum.

oups! forgot to ask..do you want the op? you didn't say :(

Do you have any co morbidities? My BMI was 35 when I applied but I had high blood pressure, cholestrol and finally had a test to say I had mild sleep apnea which swung it for me. I would say nothing ventured nothing gained if you can put together a good case, ie the affect it has on your day to day life, any depression anything that you can think of. Also there is a list somewhere of many illnesses that you may have but not thought about that can help your case. I am sure someone will post the link to the list shortly (something I dont know how to do sorry)....my mum used to say to me those that ask dont get and my reply was well if I dont ask how do you know I want it...go ask chick...xx

I have a long history of depression - a lot of which is weight related. I was blessed with low blood pressure though however I do have back problems that are largely weight related.

Ginger - I am at the very early stages at the mo - I think surgery might be the only option for me to permanently get this weight off to be honest. However whether that is banding or bypass i have no idea - I guess that I will make that decision under guidance should I ever make it past the GP? lol

Do you think the fact that I work for the sodding PCT would swing it for me? :8855::8855::8855:

just followed the link from "where to start for nhs funding". This is what is says for my pct:

Bmi over 60 or over 45 with serious comorbidities such as established ischaemic heart disease, type 2 diabetes requiring oral medication or insulin, life-threatening sleep apnoea, severe uncontrolled hypertension, benign intracranial hypertension, history of transient ischaemic attacks or stroke, severe lower limb major joint disease requiring orthopaedic intervention which is precluded on safety grounds due to the patient’s bmi.

My bmi is "only" about 44 right now. Urgh, just my luck to live in a pct are that seem to have the highest requirements...:mad:

So to qualify for nhs funding down here i need to get my weight up to 400lb!!!! That means a gain of about 9stone. Its mad :mad:

Is it worth me even applying or do i just give up now?

do not give up ! I was banded with a bmi of 42, in my area the bmi required is 40+ or 35 with co morbilities, you stand your ground with them as this is to improve your quality of life.

Gosh so sorry to hear that.
You keep fighting, I wish I had even asked for it, as I have loads of co morbidities and depression pcos and a list a mile long, But when I want something I want it now, and I didnt want all the rigmorol of everything and waiting. But, I think I would have got it now after reading and learning so much about it, But Shhh I better not let my husband know what I know. mmmm I wonder if you can claim it back????

Do you think the fact that I work for the sodding PCT would swing it for me?

Laughing here..... now I know this should we be even helping you.... ONLY JOKING!!!

I can only advise you as I have been advised and that is to NOT give up and keep fighting.

I am not using my depression in my application as I feel it may go against me at some point. I have other health issues that are of greater concern to me. I think most of us with a weight problem is do suffer with depression to some degree but I am choosing not to go in that direction. My hospital delayed my friends WLS because of her depression as they felt it would go against her recovery and motivation. It delayed her op by 2 years. It can be a sticky area. It's a tough one but thats just what I think.

Do not give up!!

I am sorry to hear of your situation, my advice would be to try any way do your research go forearmed to your gp have all your arguements together and down on paper so you don't forget get a copy of the NICE recomeendations for surgery i have the paper details somewhere i will find it and post it and cross reference what they say to your case and keep on til you get an answer there is loads of support on here so youve come to the right place

Back