• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Most extreme criteria for WLS? And most diverse!!

chivasgirl

I was just looking at some of the other PCT guidelines. I read this one about Dudley PCT:

"BMI over 60 or over 50 with serious comorbidities (ischemic heart disease, type 2 diabetes on oral medication or insulin, life-threatening sleep apnoea, severe uncontrolled hypertension, benign intracranial hypertension, transient ischemic attacks or stroke, severe lower limb major joint disease requiring orthopaedic intervention which is precluded on safety grounds due to patient’s BMI, severe dismobility due to obesity sufficient to affect essential activities of daily living). For Chinese and South East Asian patients, BMI levels as per NICE Guidelines."

What on earth is the deal if you are a chinese or south east asian patient?? I don't understand why it would be okay to be chinese or south east asian to be treated under NICE guidelines if everyone else isn't!!

Anyone throw any light on this?

Surely BMI is based on height and weight though so it shouldn't make a difference what nationality someone is.. ! Confused!

There are a lot more weight associated problems for people of chinese or asian origin, they are more prone to things like diabetes and a few others which I can't remember. It's like how sickle cell anaemia is much more prevalent in people from Africa etc.

but surely they could follow same guidelines then as they are more likely to qualify as they would have the co-morbities anyway.

How bizarrre!!!!!

Back