• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Im Pre-Op.. But...

Marie1986

Im ready to start my life
Could i ask a few Questions?

1. How long after surgery was you back to your normal daily activities? (I have a 3yr old)

2. Is there anything you need Post-Op, that you wish you had done/got Pre-Op? (Any heads up, kind of forgotten things?)

3. Did you make any freezable meals Pre-Op for Post-Op? If so.. What were they and do they need to be calorie controlled? (i.e.. in the Liquid/purée stage)

I just want to kind of prepare, i have 9 days of pre-op diet left before surgery and i just want to be ready as.. the OH is hopeless and ive given him the majorly hard task :cool: of looking after the little one for 2 weeks Post-Op! :D

Thank-you in advance for your replies!

Marie x

Could i ask a few Questions?

1. How long after surgery was you back to your normal daily activities? (I have a 3yr old)

It took me about 5-6 weeks but I'm older and have other health issues. Some other people do/have done better.

2. Is there anything you need Post-Op, that you wish you had done/got Pre-Op? (Any heads up, kind of forgotten things?)

Yes: lots of different flavours of NAS squash, and NAS ice-pops in the freezer To help with getting the fluids in, which is hard in the early days.

3. Did you make any freezable meals Pre-Op for Post-Op? If so.. What were they and do they need to be calorie controlled? (i.e.. in the Liquid/purée stage)

Soup frozen in ice cube bags - carrot and coriander blended with tofu for added protein was my favourite + buy a few tins of Campbells Beef consomme. Lovely in the early days.
Don't worry about calories, just avoid fat and sugar but ensure plenty of protein. Melted cheese on soup helps too.

I just want to kind of prepare, i have 9 days of pre-op diet left before surgery and i just want to be ready as.. the OH is hopeless and ive given him the majorly hard task :cool: of looking after the little one for 2 weeks Post-Op! :D

Marie x

Glad to help and I hope it did. Get plenty of rest whilst you can post-op. xxx

Hiya,

Give it a few weeks, but people are all different. I wouldn't haowever, be picking your 3 yr old up for a few weeks. I think you need to do a comination of playing it by ear and seeking the guidance of your medical team.

Don't think there was anything. Other than getting yoghurts and soups in.

I bought some mash potato and cottage/shepherds pies and put them in the freezer. Have to be honest and say I didn't watch the calories, my priority was getting better.

Marie x

All the best of luck Marie and I hope you stick around after your op. x

:hug99:

I didn't struggle after my op with my 3 & 7yr olds. My youngest is pretty independant & was happy to do things if I made it a game for her. I didn't need sleeps during the day & was able to spend some quality time doing quiet things with her.

I didn't drive for 2 weeks & felt 'normal' inside my tummy after about 5 weeks.

I used arnica tablets which helped I think with the bruising

I had plenty of soups frozen & some pureed meals but it was nice to make what I fancied on a day today basis as my tastes change so much now!

Ditto Cah-ching post.

Nothing that I remember - but that could just be my age!! Oooo just remembered peppermint tea and peppermint cordial for trapped wind!!

I didn't bother with meals but did make lots of soups. Didn't worry about calories just getting better.

As above re meals for yourself but would freeze food for OH and baby.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Reactions: Bev
Thankyou for your advice.. its Fantastic!

C-C.. I shall stay around.. x

D-B.. Thankyou for the bruising heads up.. x

A-M.. Oooh peppermint tea! :D Thankyou.. x

Not a lot to add to what's been said already , definately get some wind relief stuff, deflatine and gripe water are good as well.
Organise some help for just after for household work etc and don't be afraid to ask visitors to take a rain check as you might want to sleep a lot in the couple days after the op.

I bought healthy options style steam meals and whizzed them up with a hand blender.
Slimfast (for the nutrients & liquid form food) and yogurts
Also any non lumpy soups are great , especially at this time of year.
Soluable aspirin or nurofen meltlets.

Take a mouth spray in to wet your mouth while you wait for surgery as you can't drink for a few hours.

Generally speaking think about lower fat and sugar where possible but don't worry too much about it at this stage x

Reactions: Bev
Firstly Marie i think you should mention that your surgery will be 'open' so the whole picking up a 3 yr old may well come under the same bracket as ''no housework for 6 weeks'' unless of course you fancy a nice hernia :(

Buy plenty of soups and get some frozen mash in ready for when you can have it with a bit of grated cheese or corned beef......

Best piece of advice i can give you is 'LISTEN TO YOUR BODY', let this rule you and not what you think 'You should be doing'... It's a blooming hard op and recovering after the open surgery is more uncomfortable than a laparoscopic surgery i'm guessing....

Good luck Marie, your time is round the corner xxx

Firstly Marie i think you should mention that your surgery will be 'open' so the whole picking up a 3 yr old may well come under the same bracket as ''no housework for 6 weeks'' unless of course you fancy a nice hernia :(

Buy plenty of soups and get some frozen mash in ready for when you can have it with a bit of grated cheese or corned beef......

Best piece of advice i can give you is 'LISTEN TO YOUR BODY', let this rule you and not what you think 'You should be doing'... It's a blooming hard op and recovering after the open surgery is more uncomfortable than a laparoscopic surgery i'm guessing....

Having now had both, yes definitely! I'm almost 4 weeks post-op and very weak and sore still. That will make your recovery MUCH slower pet. It takes time for those muscles which have been cut, to knit back together again.

Also...buy or use some of your toddlers sippy cups (the type with a spout) to drink out of..even use baby fork, teaspoon etc and buy some tiny Chinese style bowls to eat out of. This all helps to eat more slowly, sip more slowly, and with portion control. It's all a BIG learning curve but these things have and still do help me.

Is it a band or bypass you're having?

Ooh Hunny, as far as im aware im having my surgery ''laparoscopic''? Well thats what i was told! lol..

Oooh that sounds very yummy, considering i now have the taste for milk and bovril!

Thank you Julie for your advice..

Marie x

Also...buy or use some of your toddlers sippy cups (the type with a spout) to drink out of..even use baby fork, teaspoon etc and buy some tiny Chinese style bowls to eat out of. This all helps to eat more slowly, sip more slowly, and with portion control. It's all a BIG learning curve but these things have and still do help me.

Is it a band or bypass you're having?

Thankyou Charis!

Fabulous handy tips there..

Im having a Band..

Marie x

Ooh Hunny, as far as im aware im having my surgery ''laparoscopic''? Well thats what i was told! lol..

Oooh that sounds very yummy, considering i now have the taste for milk and bovril!

Thank you Julie for your advice..

Marie x

Hi Marie

As far as I know ALL bands are fitted laparascopicaly so dont worry. You have marked your post lap band but some of the lovely bypassers have offered some advice, however the recovery time for a bander is a lot less than an open bypass.

I would advise to be cautious with lifting for a couple of weeks. Everyone is different but I was back at work after a week. I felt a bit more tired than usual during my first week back but I put that down to lack of calories.

Good luck x

just wondering are the kids sippy cups better than using the bottles of water with the cap tops? xxxx

I've found them better as you do get just a little sip. You can really glug from those bottles.

no didn't take them in, I used straws in hospital. But sippy cups are better. I got mine cheap from Sainsburies.

Hi Marie
I was back at work after a week but I did notice I was more tired than usual. I think the advice about listen to your body is excellent advice. I would say I was completely back to normal after two weeks but I still didnt do any lifting at that time so just watch picking up the little one.
Soups and slim fast were the only things needed for a while as well as something for the wind! After that I bought one person ready meals of cottage pie, mash, cauliflower cheese, corned beef hash, low fat custard, yoghurt etc for the mushy stage and this wasn't cos I couldnt cook the food but it helped with portion size. A one peron ready meal did me for two or even three meals at the start.
Hope that helps but ask away if you have any questions
Best wishes
Jo XX

Back