• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Band Nerves!

Selah

Hello guys this is my first ever post!
I am having my Gastric Band Op a week on Thursday!!

I am excited I need this to change my life but again worried about lots of things. Unfortunatley my parents are not pleased and think that its the easy way out!

But both of them have not struggled with their weight for 10years now like I have and I am sure most of you would agree that surgery is not an easy option!

Ok so I have a pre-op to attend where they say they are taking blood/urine why? what are they checking for? and what else should I expect at the pre-op??

Also a womenly one for the girls classic timing Im due right over the Op how do I handle that at the hospital...

Also how long will I be in hospital Iv googled loads and it seems to range from 1night to 3nights?

I seem to have found lots of info on pre and post op but not much about the hospital stay part which is what I am most worried about.

Thank you for any replies
Cheers xxx:)

Hi there,

I have answered your questions based on my experience, but remember there are no set answers here as we are all individuals and our bodies work differently.:)

Hello guys this is my first ever post!
I am having my Gastric Band Op a week on Thursday!!

I am excited I need this to change my life but again worried about lots of things. Unfortunatley my parents are not pleased and think that its the easy way out!
The anxiety is normal, I went through every emotion possible prior to surgery. Also, weather they agree or not, this is your decision to make your life better.

But both of them have not struggled with their weight for 10years now like I have and I am sure most of you would agree that surgery is not an easy option!
Certainly isn't, it's painful (not to scare you) and a real rollercoaster to begin with, filled with some frustrations and elations.

Ok so I have a pre-op to attend where they say they are taking blood/urine why? what are they checking for? and what else should I expect at the pre-op??
They are just making sure there are no underlying reasons why surgery should not go ahead. They want you in the best shape you can be for the operation. These tests are checking for a wide range of things from diabetes to cholesterol, to liver and kidney functions. They are standard for any surgery. You will get bomabarded with info at the pre-op, and its a chance to ask qusetions.

Also a womenly one for the girls classic timing Im due right over the Op how do I handle that at the hospital...
This happens to them a lot, the nurses are well trained to help you with this so try not to worry;)

Also how long will I be in hospital Iv googled loads and it seems to range from 1night to 3nights?
Or it can be a day case, like mine, was home within 12 hours of arriving. This will depend but it is very common to stay one night.

I seem to have found lots of info on pre and post op but not much about the hospital stay part which is what I am most worried about.
My mum gave me the best advice on this, once you get there, just let them guide you and give yourself over to their care. I was scared stiff of hospitals and now - no fear whatsoever. The staff are lovely and have been trained to deal with the nerves, its all very natural and normal.

Thank you for any replies
Cheers xxx:)

Welcome and well done for choosing wls. Wishing you well with op.

Thanks Caz its really helpful to hear from people who have been through it too! And the pics are amazing!! I hope I am as sucessful as you!! only a week to go now!!

:D

Goodluck for Thursday, let us know you are safe and well...and don't worry you will be fine.
Are you on a pre-op diet?

Gastric Band Thursday 21st May 2009

Hi there

Anyone going to Dolan Park, this Thursday?
Am absolutely bricking it...:wave_cry:

Selah...good luck for Thursday :fingerscrossed:

Melificent..I'm there next Monday, hope it goes well for you too :)

Yvonne xx

Hi there

Anyone going to Dolan Park, this Thursday?
Am absolutely bricking it...:wave_cry:

Hi, I had mine done at Dolan Park. I thought it was brilliant - the staff were nice and the surgeon was lovely ( Mr Sigurdson) and v good. The beds were automatic which was my favourite bit.

New Gastric Bandit

Hi Everyone

Had my gastric band yesterday at Dolan Park. Not sure what to expect at the moment - don't feel any different other than having been kicked in the stomach by a horse! Afriad I'm going to forget and go and eat a burger or something! Did anyone else feel the same?:confused:

Hi there Selah, I'm just wondering how you are doing and how the op went yesterday :) Xx

Also, melificent I'm sorry I can;t help you as I'm awaiting a bypass but I'm sure someone will be along to help :) Glad to see your feeling ok other than the bruising, good luck on your journey Xx

Hoe your feeling ok Melificent, Ill be @ Dolan on Monday for mine.
I think i may actually wet myself with excitement and nerves :p

Em x

Goodluck selah, I have my Op in the morning and am strangely calm hun.

You stop worrying and you will soon be over and done with. x
I will let you know how I am A.S.A.P so you know what to expect.

Hi Selah how are you feeling after you band? I'm suprisingly OK but am finding coughing quite sore! Feel a bit sick but then that's to be expected.
Hi Emmarfrost have you burst with excitement yet? I had such a good experience at Dolan Park - the staff were lovely. Thanks for the messages of support from everyone. Still concerned that (apart from the soreness) nothing feels different. Don't feel hungry at the moment but am worried about sticking to a liquid diet for 2 whole weeks! Just hope I don't forget and do something stupid like eat a McDonald's!:rolleyes:

Banded up!

hey guys thanks for all your posts! The op went well and got home yesterday I am so sore down my left side! i agree coughing canes but also sitting up or having to get out of a seat is quite painful..

So far Iv been eating 1/2 a yoghurt or 1/2 a heinz tomarto soup for a meal which goes down ok but the WIND!! I am farting about every 1/2 hour and its still not enough!!! my poor feller lol!!:D

Im so glad I did it and I wonder how long until I can get moving a bit more.. when did the pain subside for you guys?

Im bored lol a terrible patient!!

Gastric band nerves

Hi Emmarfrost

Thinking of you today. Hopefully, by now it will all be over. Speak to you when you're up to it.

Cheers Mel

hey guys thanks for all your posts! The op went well and got home yesterday I am so sore down my left side! i agree coughing canes but also sitting up or having to get out of a seat is quite painful..

So far Iv been eating 1/2 a yoghurt or 1/2 a heinz tomarto soup for a meal which goes down ok but the WIND!! I am farting about every 1/2 hour and its still not enough!!! my poor feller lol!!:D

Im so glad I did it and I wonder how long until I can get moving a bit more.. when did the pain subside for you guys?

Im bored lol a terrible patient!!

Hi Selah

Yesterday I cleaned the house - alebit VERY slowly! Am feeling remarkably well. Have been on my feet since 10am today but now fading. Debating tackling the ironing. Not in a lot of pain but now and then need to double up - not sure if trapped wind!

Cheers Mel

Back