• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Iron deficiency

ladybird_gal

Hi all,
I've just had a call from my GP to say my iron levels are down, and I have to take iron tablets. My last experience of this was when I was pregnant. It made me very constipated and I really don't want to have that problem as since surgery everything seems to be in 'good working order'!
Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do - take the iron? or alter the diet?
Actually the original blood was taken at the end of July at Walsall Manor. The letter telling me that my levels were low didn't arrive until about a week ago! 2 Months later!
My next appointment with Walsall isn't until January - is that normal? Seems an age between appointments. I've so far only had one post-op appointment.
Thanks for reading. x x

Iron - eat cooked liver and dark leafy veg like spinach, greens & broccoli. Go for a natural / herbal solution if you have to take something for it.

Ask for Sugar Free Ferrous Fumerate Syrup (Galfer Syrup) on script instead of iron tablets. I am very sensitive to the tablets and they give me a terrible stomach, but the syrup doesn't affect me at all :)

The only other option i can think of is buying Spatone from Boots, but it's expensive!

Ask for Sugar Free Ferrous Fumerate Syrup (Galfer Syrup) on script instead of iron tablets. I am very sensitive to the tablets and they give me a terrible stomach, but the syrup doesn't affect me at all :)

The only other option i can think of is buying Spatone from Boots, but it's expensive!

Thanks Shel the syrup sounds good. x x

Honestly! Walsall Manor!! Anyway, when you take your iron don't take it at the same time as calcium because they block each other. When you do take it have a little glass of fresh orange because the vitamin C will help it absorb. xx

The prescribed multivits and mins are rarely enough for iron. Most hospitals discharge with an iron script as standard as it is rare for a post opper to be able to maintain good iron levels alone.

Back