• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Iron transfusion...anyone had one? Internet reading not nice :-(

emma-louise

my new life!!
Hi..
Just before christmas I had my yearly check up..
The surgeon was very happy with my maintained weight after all these years and advised they would check all my bloods/vitamin levels etc.
I had to mentioned about ongoing stomach issues I'm still having..so need further tests.
However this morning I recieved a letter telling me they want me to have an iron transfusion.
I knew it was only a matter of tine before they had me in,as my iron levels keep dropping.
Has anyone had one? I've looked on the internet but I'm not reading pleasant stuff.
And it came to mind I wondered if my stomach pains are connected with needing this iron transfusion..just a thought.
I've had that many tests and I still don't know why I get these pains.
Sometimes I feel I've swapped one set of problems with a fresh lot..vitamin definency,low iron,stomach issues are what I'm living with now.
I suppose I just need to get on with it...but any info on transfusions would be helpful
Thanks all

No ideas hon, but my thoughts are with you.

Yes, Ive had one in November 2013 and thank god for the liquid feed I'm on that has enough to keep me in the normal region.

The transfusion itself was no big deal, cannula in hand and a bag of dark red stuff dropped in over a couple of hours. Then home.

But, I felt shattered and just very unwell for about a week, then just shattered for another couple of weeks. Then fine.

I thought it would give me go faster stripes and I'd leave the hospital skipping, but I just felt dreadful for three weeks.

But OMG does it put your iron level up :)

Yes, Ive had one in November 2013 and thank god for the liquid feed I'm on that has enough to keep me in the normal region. The transfusion itself was no big deal, cannula in hand and a bag of dark red stuff dropped in over a couple of hours. Then home. But, I felt shattered and just very unwell for about a week, then just shattered for another couple of weeks. Then fine. I thought it would give me go faster stripes and I'd leave the hospital skipping, but I just felt dreadful for three weeks. But OMG does it put your iron level up :)

Thanks jemima...I've been reading about after these transfusions...and how it can give you flu type symtoms and your bones really hurt? Was that the case with you?
I've having it done regardless of what happens after...I need it,I feel tired all the time and worn out.
After u had this infusion and you felt better did you feel any different?
Thanks x

I didn't have aching bones or flu like symptoms, it was more like the after flu recovery when you are just really tired and under the weather. I was used to being tired before the transfusions, this was just more of it especially for the first week. I might have had an odd taste in my mouth as well, metallic, not completely remembering! It was three weeks to I felt I'd got my mo-jo back. I also had at the same time a vitamin B & C infusion in the cannula plus vitamin D in one thigh and B12 in the other. It was quite a morning. My iron went up from something like 12 to 240ish, I was actually over-ironed for a couple of months, but it just steadily drops. It made me well enough to have my next round of surgery in January 2014. Whatever the maximum transfusion was I had that one as there are different strengths.
Like you say, whatever happens, you need it :)

Hi..
Just before christmas I had my yearly check up..
The surgeon was very happy with my maintained weight after all these years and advised they would check all my bloods/vitamin levels etc.
I had to mentioned about ongoing stomach issues I'm still having..so need further tests.
However this morning I recieved a letter telling me they want me to have an iron transfusion.
I knew it was only a matter of tine before they had me in,as my iron levels keep dropping.
Has anyone had one? I've looked on the internet but I'm not reading pleasant stuff.
And it came to mind I wondered if my stomach pains are connected with needing this iron transfusion..just a thought.
I've had that many tests and I still don't know why I get these pains.
Sometimes I feel I've swapped one set of problems with a fresh lot..vitamin definency,low iron,stomach issues are what I'm living with now.
I suppose I just need to get on with it...but any info on transfusions would be helpful
Thanks all

Hi Emma - Louise

I have iron infusions every 3 months as the iron tablets just wasn't working for me.

Please don't worry I done exactly the same as you researching on the net, but honestly you have nothing to worry about.

I have monofer I just get to hospital they put in a line and I just sit for about 1hr 30 until the monfer bag is empty, remove the cannula stick on a plaster and that really is it.

I would say the very 1st infusion I had i felt a little sicky after but now absolutely nothing, I also find that with me the iron did take a few weeks to kick in before I felt a difference but others feel an immediate effect.

Jacqui x

Hi Emma - Louise I have iron infusions every 3 months as the iron tablets just wasn't working for me. Please don't worry I done exactly the same as you researching on the net, but honestly you have nothing to worry about. I have monofer I just get to hospital they put in a line and I just sit for about 1hr 30 until the monfer bag is empty, remove the cannula stick on a plaster and that really is it. I would say the very 1st infusion I had i felt a little sicky after but now absolutely nothing, I also find that with me the iron did take a few weeks to kick in before I felt a difference but others feel an immediate effect. Jacqui x

Hi jacqui,
Thanks for replying...I rang this hospital this morning and it's going to take 6 bloody hours!!!
Oh my god...why that long..and it's monofer I'm having,i hope it's going to take immediate effect.
I'm been going really dizzy today..and lately have noticed my heart has really rapid beating for a few seconds.

Just out of interest what iron tablets are you taking? There's a few different forms & I'm wondering if you've had a type that's not so easy to absorb?

Just out of interest what iron tablets are you taking? There's a few different forms & I'm wondering if you've had a type that's not so easy to absorb?

I tryed a few....they have always caused pains in tummy area and lady issues have made matters worse,so the transfusion is happening now :-(

Emma, put Google away :) :) :) hopefully it will be just a simple procedure that most people have. If it's unpleassnt afterwards, hey your iron will be sky high and the nasty effects of low iron will be reduced in a couple of weeks.

Chill :) :) :)

Emma, put Google away :) :) :) hopefully it will be just a simple procedure that most people have. If it's unpleassnt afterwards, hey your iron will be sky high and the nasty effects of low iron will be reduced in a couple of weeks. Chill :) :) :)

Lol...you've made me laugh...yes I've stopped looking on google
Today I've actually had to a nurse up as I'm really dizzy and it's worrying as I'm on my own in the house.
Just waiting for them to ring x

Take care, I've passed out a few times on the stairs at home. The bruises aren't a great souvenir :(. Sounds like your transfusion can't come soon enough :(

Back