• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is this all I can eat!!

Bethany

I had my Gastric Sleeve surgery at the end of January and had terrible trouble with sickness. Then I was put on Lansoprazole and it has helped.
Now that I have conquered my sickness I am onto solids. I eat fish fingers heated in the microwave for 1 minute and they are nice and soft. Or for dinner I share a cottage pie, or shepherds pie with my husband, I have a little off the end. We went out to a dinner last Friday and I had 1 tiny new potato and I could only manage 3 tiny pieces of chicken and that made me full and I ended up being sick.
Today I had a 1 egg omelette for breakfast and then 3 fish fingers for lunch 4 hours apart and then I started to feel as if the food was in my oesophagus and then I had to rush t the bathroom.
I knew my food intake would be drastically reduced and I was prepared for that but this is getting ridiculous. I am not getting any goodness, I am being sick even with my sickness tablets. Can someone help me please. Also does anyone know if I will ever be able to eat prawns again. Thank you all for any help.:sigh::cry:

I'm a sleever and had mine 4th of feb, Id contact ur team as by the sounds of it u are having problems. I can eat really well, l sometimes worry to well!! I'm eating everything now on totally normal food I'm watching calories and carbs tho. And yes I can eat prawns xx

Bethany said:
I had my Gastric Sleeve surgery at the end of January and had terrible trouble with sickness. Then I was put on Lansoprazole and it has helped.
Now that I have conquered my sickness I am onto solids. I eat fish fingers heated in the microwave for 1 minute and they are nice and soft. Or for dinner I share a cottage pie, or shepherds pie with my husband, I have a little off the end. We went out to a dinner last Friday and I had 1 tiny new potato and I could only manage 3 tiny pieces of chicken and that made me full and I ended up being sick.
Today I had a 1 egg omelette for breakfast and then 3 fish fingers for lunch 4 hours apart and then I started to feel as if the food was in my oesophagus and then I had to rush t the bathroom.
I knew my food intake would be drastically reduced and I was prepared for that but this is getting ridiculous. I am not getting any goodness, I am being sick even with my sickness tablets. Can someone help me please. Also does anyone know if I will ever be able to eat prawns again. Thank you all for any help.:sigh::cry:

Hi i had my surgery 4th jan and can now manage just under a weight watchers meal. Or like today I had one slice of bread and a chicken thigh so ate less because it was more solid. Around 3 weeks ago I could only manage a one egg omelette and still only have one egg omelette. It does get better :) if your worried their is a good thread on what sleeves eat, which lists peoples daily intake. Also you should try prawns I had them a few weeks ago and were fine as are crab sticks which are great protein snacks. X

Thank you for your help, I will have a look at the thread what sleeves eat and I will contact my team and ask for a check up

hi hun i hope you get sorted as this is hard as it is without being sick and not getting enough nutrients, good luck your team should be able to help with this. xxxx

Bethany,

I understand that the sleeve when new (within the first 5 months) has a capacity of just 4 ounces (or between 100 ml and 125 ml) -- that is one quarter of an average 400 g can of baked beans.

This is why some post op sleeve advice suggests eating 5 or 6 small mini meals a day, rather than the traditional 3 set meals a day.

After 6 months the average sleeve will have grown to 6 ounces in capacity (175 ml) -- still less than half of a 400 g can.

After a year the average sleeve will reach 250 ml capacity (about 8 ounces).

Perhaps you could try the cottage cheese test -- on an empty stomach (sleeve) after not having eaten for 3 hours and not having drunk any fluids at least 30 mins before -- and see if you can consume exactly 4 ounces of cottage cheese without bringing it back up ...?

If the answer is no your sleeve may be too tight + need some assistance from your bariatric team.

Best wishes,
Sharon

Back