• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

It's started -- hair loss

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
Somehow I thought I was going to get off scott free and not have this problem .... but now exactly 3 months after my surgery my thatch is rapidly thinning.

Not unduly worried at the moment because I know that (1) out of all the people this happens to, nobody ever actually ends up bald, and (2) I have always had very thick hair -- in fact I have often paid hairdressers good money to "thin" it out as when it grows too long, it gets thicker and busher as well ..... resulting in what I can only describe as a big blonde unruly thatch on my head !!!

I noticed it a few times when washing my hair last week but was not totally sure ..... but today I'm like a cat at the height of malting season.

It's just annoying really, and every time I think I have washed it / brushed it all out and got all of today's spare hairs ...... that is not the end of it, more keeps falling out throughout the day.

The vacuum cleaner has been brought out of retirement (LOL!).

oh what a bummer :( im dreading it lol x

it looks lovely on your profile pic xx

it looks lovely on your profile pic xx

Yeah that was when the thatch was in full bloom, LOL! Those pics were taken late June.

The thinning malting cat look has really only started in the last week.

Watch the pluhole get bunged up really quickly it will stop and go back to normal at about 7th/9th month.

omg .. the things we go through, i swear the next person who tells me this is the easy option is going get a knuckle sandwich :)

Mine is just starting to go too, seeing my hairdresser soon as it is only noticeable to me at the moment. Need to see gp also as he would only prescribe zinc and selenium when it actually happened xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I know how you feel mine has also started falling out 3 rd month fit me also. I lines it was going to happen but seeing my hairbrush each time I brush my hair make me feel a little sad ?

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I'm a year out and glad to report that the hair loss has not only stopped but I can see the new hair coming through. I did have to have a short hair cut though, as it was in dreadful condition. Apparently due to the stress of surgery and NOT any deficiencies as all my levels are excellent !
Mine wasn't as thick as yours to start with Sharon so hopefully you'll get away without having to have it cut short x

Deep joy! yet another thing to look forward, but its comforting that it grows back, hey maybe it'll not grow back grey in my case hehe can only dream

omg .. the things we go through, i swear the next person who tells me this is the easy option is going get a knuckle sandwich :)

Omg I totally agree, I'd like to see all those that are saying I'm doing it the easy way, put themselves through what I'm going to go through! :(

I found that more fluids and a renewed focus on protein plus a hydrating conditioner - I don't use shampoo at all - actually seemed to have stopped it for me.

9mth out and still losing although plenty of new hair sprouting :) my car is dreadful as i fiddle with my hair when driving :)

Oh yes, like the:

** dumping / rapid gastric emptying (I suffer quite badly and I am a sleever -- I cannot even drink a small 250 ml carton of fresh apple or orange juice -- and yet I noticed a bypasser mentioning on another thread that OJ is what she picks at pubs sometimes in order to avoid alcohol - for me OJ = dumping time!)

** knowing that my stomach is only held together with 3,000 (?) titanium metal staples forever and that they could (in theory) burst or break at *any* time during the next 30 years

** having to take Lansoprazole for life

** occasional episodes of gastritis and severe left shoulder pain (inflammation in my sleeve) -- still happens when stressed

** having to have bloods checked for life and most probably Vitamin top ups of B12, Calcium and Vitamin D

** losing hair rapidly

** the threat that gall stones may also occur as a result of rapid weight loss

** saggy boobs that now look like they belong on a size 12 person's body even tho the rest of my body is still size 22 and has not deflated as quickly as the boobies have disappeared

** 5 bullet holes in my stomach for life, one of which is always going to look like a big ugly scar (the one where they pulled the remaining stomach out)

Yeah, life's just a breeze, of course I have a "tiny tummy" that is almost exactly like a normal stomach (ha ha) -- NOT.

Watch the pluhole get bunged up really quickly it will stop and go back to normal at about 7th/9th month.

Thanks for that.

Having a gastric band makes you loose your hair ? X

I have not had a gastric band, I've had a sleeve, but as Caren said, it's not due to the op itself, but down to the resultant rapid weight loss.

There are 2 potential side effects that go hand in hand with *any* form of rapid weight loss (including Very Low Calorie Diets, enforced starvation or whatever) and they are:

1. Gall stones may start to develop.

2. Hair may become thinner and shed rapidly.

Hi Sharonimo
I'm 6 months out and have now lost 6 stone, but like yourself have noticed rapid hair loss within the last couple of weeks. Luckily I had thick hair so it's not too bad at the mo but the top is really thining out and I'm finding it quite worrying.
I have been advised to take Sea Kelp (supposed to help with hair loss) but have only been taking it for 2 days and apparently will not notice any effects for at least 2-3 weeks, but I will let you know if it helps.
Does anyone know how long the hair loss is supposed to last? I am presuming, however, that it depends on each individual person
DT

Me, too...loads of hair falling out...have a small bald patch at the front of my hair-line...size of a 5p coin.

Ihave never had such thin hair but, am sure it's temporary...will need to get it cut to make it look a bit healthier.

I was expecting it but, am shocked at how much comes out in the brush on a daily basis...my hair is mid-length past my shoulders, so it's quite a shock to see it go all thin..boo hoo :(

I was combing my hair today when I noticed a thinning patch. :cry:For some silly reason I didn't think that I would lose my hair as it's always been so thick.
Looks like I'll have to do a David Guest and spray my scalp black to hide my loss. If it gets any worse than it is now I'll have to do a full blown Bobby Charlton hair sweep! :queen:

Back