• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I've changed my mind! Bypass instead of sleeve

CamperLou

Hi everyone, firstly thanks for all your comments and advice so far. I'm having my op on Friday 26th June with Dr Ammouri in Manchester (anyone else?) and I've gone and changed my mind about having the sleeve and gone for the bypass instead! Oh god, I was in a bit of a muddle, I just want to do everything I can to reduce the chances of failure (and I still keep thinking this is going to be yet another failure, will it really work? I've seen all your threads but me - slim?!?! I can't get that into my head for some reason) Anyway I spoke to Dr Ashton (again) and between us we decided that I was actually only going for the sleeve cos I was scared to death about having full bypass but now I have got that fear under control, one more 'snip' isn't really a big deal, is it? So what do you all think? I just want it to work!

PS - Can you drink alcohol after the bypass- thats one think I forgot to ask!

xx

Hi CamperLou
Your going for the right thing for you hun . I am to get a sleeve to but if my heart tests come back OK I hope I`ll be getting a bypass as well . I`m about the same weight as you and all the diets Iv been on all my life Iv failed and I'm sick of failing that why I want the bypass and because I`v 50 Ill loose the weight sooner . I hope everything goes well for you hun and you have a speedy recovery . Good luck and take care .
Margaret xx

Hi Lou

I'm also under Dr Ashton and had my bypass last year with Mr Ammori, it does work, trust me Mr Ammori is a god amoungst surgeons, infact theres a small group of us here on minis that have had him and i expect they will be along raving on about him in a bit :D

I had my bypass in October and I haven't regretted it for a nano-second. I had the lovely and uber talented Dr. Ammori, and you can't go wrong with him (search this site and you'll find nothing but good things about the man).

Best of luck but you'll hardly need it with Dr. A , and don't worry it will work for you!

Nic:p

Alcohol with a bypass? Generally no as it can cause dumping. Lots of bypassers reckon they are cheap dates post op as they can only manage a tiny bit before feeling very tipsy!

Hey you know whats right for you and the bypass will help you lose weight fast to begin with, its amazing how much different you will feel within a couple of months of having had it.

Drinking after is a problem, there have been a few threads about it, post bypass you are advised not to drink for a reason, it tends to be acidic and you get drink very very fast on alchahol. For me i cannot drink more than 1.5 glasses of wine before i start feeling acidic one glass also has me drink however it does pass out of the system faster then normal as well. Carbonated drinks are a definate no no for ages afterwards, i have only just tried my forst lot since my bypass almost 6 months ago and i stirred as much of the fizz out of the cold cider as i could before i drank it

Alcohol with a bypass? Generally no as it can cause dumping. Lots of bypassers reckon they are cheap dates post op as they can only manage a tiny bit before feeling very tipsy!

Rubbish i can drink and do, i've not found an alcoholic drink to date thats made me dump !

It is true though that you do get drunk quicker with a bypass.

Rubbish i can drink and do, i've not found an alcoholic drink to date thats made me dump !

Its fair to say though Richard that you rarely dump generally, in fact if my memory is right I don't think anything has made you dump properly? Most people do have a lower tolerance than that and will dump. Right now pretty much everything is making me dump, whether sugars or not :(

Thanks for your replies, I suppose its going to be process of trying the odd drink in the safety of home and see how I get on. I don't mind have only one or two before I feel I've had enough, I suppose the difference will be, if I am a lot slimmer I won't need to get rat arsed before I even have the courage to go out! ;)

i know im not a bypassers but i guess everyones different as it seems what makes one person dump another is fine with, so i guess you wont know on a personal basis untill you have had the op x

Rubbish? (how rude!). Well you might be one of the lucky ones who doesn't dump. But I did use the word GENERALLY which doesn't actually mean it applies in EVERY case.

Its fair to say though Richard that you rarely dump generally, in fact if my memory is right I don't think anything has made you dump properly? Most people do have a lower tolerance than that and will dump. Right now pretty much everything is making me dump, whether sugars or not :(

Yeah yeah - you say it like its a bad thing :D

Anyway your only dumping because junior Shel doesn't like what your eating ;)

Babyflower, I notice you're waiting for WLS number 2, how come? if you don't mind me asking ?

Of course I don't mind you asking. I had a gastric band in 2007 (NHS) - had problems with it pretty much from day 1. Had a lot of pain, problems swallowing (even liquids) and every time band was tightened the band pinched me. Also didn't have a good experience from my first hospital, they weren't very patient focused, messed me about loads, only met my 'consultant' once some 14 months after my band op, and had some rather traumatic and extremely upsetting experiences. I did lose some weight, but my problems were getting worse and worse, and my consultants solution was to give me a prescription for Reductil. :mad:

Got very depressed about it, my GP was furious and suggested I seek a second opinion. She gave me the choice of where I wanted to go, I chose Shaw Somers and St Richards. He has been brilliant - what a totally different experience! The problems with my band had got so bad he felt that it should just come out and I should start again, and it came out in April this year.

Despite problems I lost 7 stone (but regained 3 - the Reductil moment was a real low point and I turned to chocolate big time - since given it up completely), but 'maintaining' 4 stone loss (well clinging on for dear life)! Have a few months to think about what's next whilst I heal. My BMI is still over 40, so do still need help, although my eating habits have changed enormously since being banded, and as yet the bad habits have not returned. Mr Somers thinks that the RNY is probably my best option as the risk of me having probs with another band would be quite high...feel a bit sad about that, but that's life.

So, I am still recovering from my band out and the nutritional impact of being in starvation mode (on liquids etc) for so long. I lost hair (not all of it), nails crumbled, skin was awful. All getting back to normal now.

I have lots to think about and decisions to make.

Hope that answers your question!!!

Last edited:
i had my gastrict bypass in october and never regretted it i feel amazing just make sure it is right for u. alcohol i was advised not to drink until a yr later as it may cause dumping and the calories i have had alcohol and been fine but everyone reacts differently and i think it is defo everything in moderation. good luck and let us know how u get on :)

Back