• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve or Bypass?

Deets

hello all...another question!

To sleeve or to bypass?

Can you let me know why you chose the surgery you did? I am planning for a sleeve but after speaking to someone today, its raised a few questions. The reason i want the sleeve is because it seems less faffy living with it.

Technically the bypass is reversible...has anyone had or heard of anyone having it reversed?

Also if i were in a situation where it was important to put on weight (hard to imagine for me at this stage hah), it could be difficult with the sleeve.

thank you

When i went with my sister for her consultation they said it all depends on what kind of eater you are, i am a sweet/chocolate person and like a drink, apparently the band and bypass you can cheat ( not had any done yet so ppl who have had it done will tell you from experience) ie drink yr extra calories and she advised me for a bypass, the woman herself has a band and a bypass, she said she was not advised correctly hence she has both, dont no if this helps you its just what the consultant (michelle) said

I will keep an eye on this thread..
I to am asking the same question.
I think I will be guided by the surgeon at the end of the day...
I think a bypass is my best option..

As IlonaJ says, it depends on why you are having the op & what sort of eater you are. Sleeves weren't so commonly performed; they were orginally used as a pre-cursor to a full gastric bypass but more recently they are becoming more popular because results are showing they are comparable in weight loss terms to a gastric bypass. They are a few sleevers on here who will be able to advice you better though. The bypass is a good option if you have type II diabetes, as often (not always) surgery can send diabetes into remission, or at the least make it more manageable. They are trialling gastric bypasses as a metabolic treatment in S. America for people with severe uncontrolled type II diabetes, but who also have a BMI of 25 or less, with very good results.

All weightloss surgery can help diabetes...its not the surgery per se, it's the drop in intake and weight that does that :)

I think the type of operation is really down to your choice and guidance from your surgeon.

Mine simplified it for me into the types of eater...

BAND - person who likes large portions but not a sweet toother. Less invasive.
BYPASS - as above but more prone to sweet and fatty foods. Maybe larger amount to loose or want to loose it quicker. Invasive, will need nutritional supplements.
SLEEVE - a step before bypass usually, done on larger people, for large eaters.
BALLOON - Temporary, used sometimes before other operations to get some weight off.

Hi my surgeon said i would be better with the bypass but when he is doing the op and if there is a problem he will do the sleeve. Im not really bothered either way, i think the surgeon knows best and thats fine by me x

I chose the sleeve as I knew I definitely didn't want the band and I didn't like the idea of the bypass being such intrusive surgery (didn't want my bowel to be altered).

Each surgery is appropriate for different people. Even though my BMI wasn't that high (comparatively speaking), the sleeve has worked as a stand alone operation for me. I'm pleased with the results (very pleased actually) and I'm happy that I am able to live a relatively normal life, foodwise.

My advice is to speak to your surgeon and be led by them. Good luck with whichever route you take x

I guess mine would have to be a bypass (unless surgeon thinks otherwise) as I can eat large amounts of sweet and savoury foods - doesn't really matter to me what it is to be honest, even if its something I don't like I'll still eat it if i'm in that frame of mind.

At the group seminar the surgeon said that with the sleeve if old eating patterns return (eg large meals) then the stomach can stretch again. I guess that its possible to cheat on any of the ops - it just depends on how 'determined' you are, but at least with the bypass there's perhaps not the capacity for the stomach to stretch - if you overeat on the band/bypass you'll know about it.

I just need to get in the mindset while pre-op of focusing this determination the other way round and sticking to a sensible, balanced diet. Easier said than done some days!

I went with what my Consultant recommended, which was the bypass, but even then, he said he would make up his mind as to which was best, when I was on the operating table. I had the bypass in the end.

i too went with what my surgeon suggested, he said a bypass was ideal for me, but he asked me before i went down for my op, that if a bypass wasnt possible once he was inside, would i rather he did something like a sleeve or band rather than just closing me up with nothing being done. Of course i said yes, but a bypass worked for me
xxxx

Hi

I went for a consultation on Saturday with Mr Khan through Surgicare. I went wanting a band and his advice was that a bypass would be better and i wouldn't get the results with band and would be wasting my money.

Because I'm really large (bmi63 ish) he said that there is a lot more self control needed and that it wasn't a good option for a chocolate eater as i would easily be able to cheat it. He also mentioned with a bypass that in 95% of patients with diabetes there condition disappears after surgery.

Like other have said I suppose it all depends on what kind of person and eater you are. He also advised if I was to go ahead and once he had me in surgery if for any reason he wasn't able to perform a bypass then he would do a sleeve or band. He said some people just arn't able to have a bypass due to there initial size, or its too risky or some peoples organ are set up in a way where it isn't possible.

Like I said so many options, if only I could decide what to do lol:)

you guys really are fab, thank you for all those answers. It does help me :D

Im a junk food addict really, i do like sweet stuff to but i can control those cravings. My meals can be massive :ashamed0005: i can easily eat a say a curry, rice and sides...then an hour later ill go have a bowl of cereal :eek: Because food is pleasure, everything i eat tastes wonderful! Its such a curse hehe

As im funding this privately, i am slightly concerned the surgeon will try and convince me to have a bypass, because it costs more (suspcious always ;)).

Again thanks all for replying x

I have very similiar eating habits to you and my surgeon said the sleeve and the band would be too easy for me to cheat with, so he reccommended the bypass.

I can give up sweets and chocolate when I diet but after a few months I give into temptation.

I thought that most surgeons only do bands and bypasses, a few do the sleeve as a stand alone procedure and a few do it either as the first part of a duodenal switch or as part of a one-stage DS

I had a one stage DS-

why
i)It is supposed to be the op that is most likely to give resolution of diabetes - they have little idea why because the diabetes often goes into remission before significant weight is lost
ii) More normal eating patterns are possible with a sleeve - with sometimes more food being eaten
iii) Weight loss is greater with a DS - often
iv) Maintenance is more consistent with a DS - statistically

Downsides
100gm protein daily
Very regular lifelong blood tests
More supplementation
More likelihood of malnutrition and deficiencies - seem to have that 20 months out

A bypass can be reversed - but the stomach bit is often unreversible due to the staples used

Its a minefield isn't it?

When assessing the cost - remember the cost and time for fills with a band and de-fills getting to that sweet spot.

xxxx

the band is a definate no-no. I dont have the paitience for fiddling after surgery and chewing like a camel doesnt appeal to me (sorry bandits!)

its really the sleeve or the bypass. I believe the sleeve has become a very popular method of wls these days, and from what ive read and seen, it seems to be effective.

i didnt know the stomach bit couldnt be reversed on the bypass so thats something to think about.

I am still leaning towards the sleeve...the band is out for me (as i have said on some other threads) as i think i am likely to try and cheat it...I am worried about the malnutrition aspect of the bypass and the switch..i'm also worried that if something happens and i need to eat more i won't be able to if i have the sleeve...as someone else said, total minefield!!

Hi Deets and everyone...

This is a question that I have been turning over time and time again...

As a diabetic, I'll be guided by Mr. Ammori, but I personally feel that I need a permanent solution to my weight gain... I also have a sweet tooth and have been fighting to retrain my thinking plus trying to change my whole attitude to the way I shop and use food prior to my op., I think I will be able to adjust with the help of either a sleeve or a bypass...

When I think of Mixxy, the sleeve has been tremendous, so I would never worry if the sleeve were suggested...

It's a bit of a conundrum at first... then eventually we arrive... but my guidance lead will be from the Consultant and I will work with whatever I am given...

Good luck...

Love and hugs xxx

About 50% of RNY patients dump -- so that isn't always protection re: eating sweets.

The sleeve removes 75% of your stomach. It generally does stretch to about 1/2 again its size over time. That precludes you from eating like you did preop. Some people find they can't eat much postop. Some can eat a lot -- but generally never the amt. they could preop.

I had the Duodenal Switch. It's the sleeve plus reworking the intestines. At 5.5 years out, I eat much less than preop., yet some friends can eat a good deal more than I. It's very individual.

Oh, and I've never heard of the bypass being reversible.

Last edited:
Back