• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just been put on the waiting list - have to maintain my weight????

slimbydecember

Hi guys,

I was placed on the waiting list for a gastric band yesterday. I have to go for an endoscopy which my doctor told me would be this month and then the waiting list is around 5 months long.

She did tell me I need to either maintain or lose weight or I will be taken off the waiting list.

I really struggle with losing weight and would like some tips if anyone has any?

I know its not easy but this is a predicament that most of us have been in. The majority of doctors say the same and unfortunately its something we have to abide by.
For me i worked out my basal metabolic rate and that told me how many cals i can have daily without gaining weight and i stuck to that as always in the back of my mind i was worried about not getting my surgery, i then was told i had to lose weight other wise i could not have my bypass, i know it is not easy but when we have our op`s on the Nhs unfortunately we have to jump through so many hoops, and maintaining or losing weight is one of them.
When ur having a rough day just come on line and post there is always some one around to support u.
Take care xx

BMR Calculator

Good luck and congrats on getting on the list first and foremost...

The only advice i could give is keep away from high calorie takeaways... Try and make healthy choices, fill up on your fruit and veg and if possible exercise a bit more than you do already. Very boring but there is no magic response....

Also and very important, don't wait until October to take my advice, weight is very easy to gain and so flipping hard to lose :) xxx

Best of luck xx

I have lost weight in the past many times. But each time i've used slimming clubs such as slimming world or the cambridge diet or aids like reductil and oralstat. I've never managed to lose weight just by my own healthy eating plan. My dietitian has told me that i'm not to use slimming clubs anymore as I have to get out of that mentality of syns or points and good and bad foods.

Just really worried i'm gonna mess this up!

I can understand your dieticians advice, but let's face it who's gonna tell her if you do go to a club again?

Alternative use what you learned at one of the clubs, if you're like me you done them enough to know them inside out :) xx

I agree with Julie you don't have to tell her thats what you are doing. Otherwise just stick with low fat food and low sugar less that 5% of each per 100g.

oh i know how u feel (as do many others) i had my pre op in april, my surgery is in september, so maintaining is a battle that i am familiar with, from last may (when i first saw my consultant) to the pre op i had lost 3 stone, i know i'm going about it the wrong way but i am gaining half a stone losing it again & this is how i've been going on since april, i do get very annoyed with myself but i suppose this is why i'm having surgery, good luck & u will do this!!!!

Why not try one of the pre op diets. There are many different ones. some are given the milk and yoghurt, some low cal and some do the slimfast one. I know these are to shrink the liver but I don't recall anyone not losing weight on these diets. Good luck and congratulations on being put on the list xx

Back