• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Just Had Bypass And Would Love Some Advice

callysplace

Hi to all, my name is caroline Im 33 and I had my bypass three weeks ago now on 28th of April at the Thornbury hospital in Sheffield. All went really well with the op and I was up and walking about within eight hours. Since coming home I have had very few instances of feeling unwell and (fingers crossed) no vomiting up to press. :)

So heres where I have a bit of a problem, since having it done I have had a lower weight loss than other people who I know have had it done and from reading other threads lower than most on here after their op.

Im following the diet that was advised and have not deviated off of this at all but have only lost two stones (that includes what I lost on the preop diet as well), the other thing that Im having occasionly is feeling a bit faint and wobbly.

My diet for the first two weeks consisted of fluids (milk, juice, slim fast) and I have moved on now to semi solid food (mash, porridge etc)

So my question goes out to other people who have had the op, I know weight loss is different for eveyone but what have their experiences been.
Is it just me worrying over nothing, I had the op because I knew I was going to die within a few years if I did nothing about my weight and I didnt want to leave my two girls without a mum, and was fed up of been sat at home and hiding away all the time, its so easy to hide behind your fat suit!

Hi Caroline,
Welcome to minimins. Unfortunately I acn't answer your questions because I'm having the op in ten days, but I think that losing 2 stones in 3 weeks is amazing. I also admire you for thinking of your children and going through with the op. Keep at it and I'm sure the weight will start coming off more. If you're unsure, have you thought of asking a dietician?

Hi Caroline,
Welcome to minimins. Unfortunately I acn't answer your questions because I'm having the op in ten days, but I think that losing 2 stones in 3 weeks is amazing. I also admire you for thinking of your children and going through with the op. Keep at it and I'm sure the weight will start coming off more. If you're unsure, have you thought of asking a dietician?

Hi thaialina, thanks for your reply, Im counting the weight that I lost with the preop diet in with my total weight loss up to press, and I was unsure how people calculated their weight loss, do you count in pre op weight loss or from date of op! I know any type of weight loss takes time but it might just be me been impatient and wanting to be size 16 tomorrow!!

I think that maybe a call to my dietician may be in order but I feel like Im going to recieve a lecture like I got from school nurse when I was younger lol:D

Where are you having your op done? Fingers crossed for you that it goes as well for you as it did for me, the one bit of advice that my bariatric nurse gave to me and I would pass on is get up and move as soon after the op that you can, I did and have to say my mobility has been really good, I realise that it sounds like something obvious but while I was inside there were three other patients who had op on same day, I was up walking the ward while they stopped in their rooms and I was the first home (2 days).

I know like me you will not regret having it done and just think of the clothes this time next year we can buy lol!:D Will keep you up to date of my weight loss, let me know how you get on with yours
xx

Hi there,

Welcome to Minimins! I am waiting to see if I can have an op so can't be much help advice wise right now but you sound to me like you are doing really well and have the right idea about looking to the longer term and all the lovely slinky things you will be able to wear next summer! Congrats on your loss so far and keep up the good work x

Hello Caroline.
Congrats on taking the brave move to have the bypass- I'm 14 months post-op, so I know how hard it is in the early days. I am by no means an expert, nor a total success story. I started at 22st and have ended up at 16.9, which is a great weight loss, but not as much as I expected. (I say ended at, because I have been told that you will lose weight for about 1 yr after surgery, then it will stabilise. Anything after that will require more effort, which, lets face it, if we were mentally capable of doing that, we wouldn't have gone for the surgery in the first place!!!)
Anyway, I digress... I just wanted to say don't worry about your weight loss in the very early days. For one thing, your body has gone into serious shock wondering where all its nourishment has gone, so it will be holding on to whatever it can for dear life!! Secondly, you really can't do anything to get your metabolism up & running to start with, due to the above mentioned lack of intake, plus the major surgery you've just been through. It will be normal to feel a bit light headed for a while- just remember that your body is learning to cope with a fraction of the calories that it's used to! Try to take it easy, don't feel like you have to try training for the 2009 marathon, just get better first!!!
Good luck & take care!!!
Lou
x

hi caroline congratulations on ur bypass i had mine nearly 1 year ago and have lost nearly 8 stone so far even tho its slowed rite down now to begin with i was 25stone and 5ft 2, i wore size 32/34 tops and now im in an 18/20 so things r better 4me as lou said take it easy and 1 day at a time, it is a massive shock to ur body to go through, and dont forget ur bypassed now so take it easy ok lv georgina xxx

Hi Caroline,
I think it varies really. Some people count the pre-op loss and other don't. Phone the nurse- it's her job to advise!! Thanks for the tip. i have just started a new thread if you want to have a look to know more about my journey so far...

Hi, will definatly come and have a look at your thread, think this site is a real eye opener and its reasuring that other people are going through the same thing as myself. keep your spirits up things will be great !!!!!!! :)

Hi there,

Welcome to Minimins! I am waiting to see if I can have an op so can't be much help advice wise right now but you sound to me like you are doing really well and have the right idea about looking to the longer term and all the lovely slinky things you will be able to wear next summer! Congrats on your loss so far and keep up the good work x

thanks for you message of support, my fingers are crossed that you get your op, and yep Im really looking forward to the slinky tops, I feel pity for my credit card already!

Hello Caroline.
Congrats on taking the brave move to have the bypass- I'm 14 months post-op, so I know how hard it is in the early days. I am by no means an expert, nor a total success story. I started at 22st and have ended up at 16.9, which is a great weight loss, but not as much as I expected. (I say ended at, because I have been told that you will lose weight for about 1 yr after surgery, then it will stabilise. Anything after that will require more effort, which, lets face it, if we were mentally capable of doing that, we wouldn't have gone for the surgery in the first place!!!)
Anyway, I digress... I just wanted to say don't worry about your weight loss in the very early days. For one thing, your body has gone into serious shock wondering where all its nourishment has gone, so it will be holding on to whatever it can for dear life!! Secondly, you really can't do anything to get your metabolism up & running to start with, due to the above mentioned lack of intake, plus the major surgery you've just been through. It will be normal to feel a bit light headed for a while- just remember that your body is learning to cope with a fraction of the calories that it's used to! Try to take it easy, don't feel like you have to try training for the 2009 marathon, just get better first!!!
Good luck & take care!!!
Lou
x

Hi lou thanks for your words of encouragement, I too started out at twenty two stones that was the momant i actually cried along with the fact that I got my self stuck in the bath the same day , it pushed me to stand on the scales and see how much I actualy weighed. So with tears in my eyes I broke down in front of my doctor and asked him for the op, his reply "yes you are morbidly obese but not morbidly obeses enough for me to put you forward for the op".How morbidly obese do you have to be? I asked !! At this point my wonderful mum stood in and said that she would pay for the op and four weeks later I had it!

I actually lost a stone before going on the preop diet through been depressed and worrying! Ive lost the other two stone since been on pre op diet and the operation. Good news is I stood on scales today and have lost another two pounds yay!! :D

Can I ask did you take up any excersize after the op? I want to start at a gym but what the hospital tell you and how people feel in them selves are two totaly different things!

hi caroline congratulations on ur bypass i had mine nearly 1 year ago and have lost nearly 8 stone so far even tho its slowed rite down now to begin with i was 25stone and 5ft 2, i wore size 32/34 tops and now im in an 18/20 so things r better 4me as lou said take it easy and 1 day at a time, it is a massive shock to ur body to go through, and dont forget ur bypassed now so take it easy ok lv georgina xxx

Thanks Georgina, Its a real boost to know that others on here have gone through the same thing as myself, I seriously have to stop be so impatient lol!

Morning Caroline!
I'm glad I've been of some help. As to the question about the gym, the answer is no, I haven't taken up any additional excercise yet, unless I count the fact that I walk to school & back twice a day rather than take the car, which I always used to do. I also have two small dogs who give me a good reason to get out for a daily walk! I think I should take up some more excercise now, but in the early days, I would say def NOT. It takes at least 6 weeks for the muscles under your scar to heal, I gave myself a hernia about 2 months after surgery (it was a freak Dyson hoover accident, but I obviously wasn't properly healed!!). I would say wait out the 6 weeks before doing any more than maybe a bit of walking, I cannot stress enough how much healing your body has to do in these early days. Don't think too far ahead at the moment- getting well is the most important thing!
Lou.
x

Morning Caroline!
I'm glad I've been of some help. As to the question about the gym, the answer is no, I haven't taken up any additional excercise yet, unless I count the fact that I walk to school & back twice a day rather than take the car, which I always used to do. I also have two small dogs who give me a good reason to get out for a daily walk! I think I should take up some more excercise now, but in the early days, I would say def NOT. It takes at least 6 weeks for the muscles under your scar to heal, I gave myself a hernia about 2 months after surgery (it was a freak Dyson hoover accident, but I obviously wasn't properly healed!!). I would say wait out the 6 weeks before doing any more than maybe a bit of walking, I cannot stress enough how much healing your body has to do in these early days. Don't think too far ahead at the moment- getting well is the most important thing!
Lou.
x

Thanks lou for your reply, I think that maybe I have been doing too much at the min and will give the gym a rest until the six weeks mark, just looking forward to finaly been able to doing something so think that my dogs will be in for some long walks! thankyou again for the advice xx

Honestly, it isn't worth trying to do too much to start with. Healing should be your primary & main concern at the minute.
For me, I was pretty much asleep for the first 6 weeks- I was cold, tired & very weak! It does pass, but you need to allow your body time to heal & adjust!
It'll all be worth it in the long run.
x

Hi Caroline

Just calling by to say hello, I can't advise you unfortunately as I haven't had my op yet but just try to think that if you hadn't had the op would you of lost that amount of weight (and kept it off). Some people lose it quicker than others but thats the way it always is so I really wouldn't worry, your on the losing side and you've done really well so far, just keep on going xx

Back