• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie would like bypass

everhopefull

Rgeular for help lol
Hi there just thought id say hello, Iv been over weight a lot of my life got worse when I had kids im now 26 and 21st and its killing me.

Iv tryed everything in the book to loose weight but nothing works and if it does then all the weight comes back on and more.

I am going to make an appointment with the dr just wondering for those who have had it what was it like and how has it changed your lifes thanks and hope to be posting a lot more soon.

I have a band, not a bypass but I can tell you this surgery changes lives. Not just physically but mentally. I no longer feel a slave to food.

I can eat basically anything within reason, even something sweet if I fancy but just cannot eat the quantity anymore.

My feet have stopped swelling, my blood sugar is now within "normal" areas, my blood pressure is normal and my cholestoral has dropped from 7.9 to 5.8.

I have a renewed faith in the future, I can see a new life emerging, one that I am in control of and that is healthy.

My advice is look at all the options but go for it. 100 percent:D

Hi welcome to minis, I had a bypass on saturday and can already tell that my life has changed food is no longer ruling my life even my tastes have changed the thought of anything sweet ie chocolate makes me want to heave....its early days for me but I cant wait until the new year when everything has settled down and my health improves as well as my appearance....good luck...xx

Hi, welcome to mini's :)

I'm nearly 4 months post bypass, and feel great. I've lost over half my excess weight, and gone from a size 24 to nearly 16. My confidence levels have gone up considerably, and my health has improved significantly.

Best thing I ever did.

thanks so much for that iv done a lot of reading up in it about it and it is realy somthing that I want to do.
Iv got to a point where im sick of my weight im 21st and a size 26 so for my height at 5,5 its a big no no.

cant wait to get to know you all a bit better in my journey to become a slimmer me lol

hi and welcome to minis, ive have a band and its changed my life, also i wish you luck with with your choice of a bypass.

best wishes

liz xx

Hiya everhopeful, do i know you from somewhere else?

Welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place.

I had my bypass 3 weeks ago, and i was a size 26. My clothes are now swimming on me. I'll be honest and say it's been hard getting used to the changes with eating, but it's so worth it.

My advice would be to research, ask lots of questions, and talk to your gp.

Hi there,

I had my bypass 12 days ago and I'm certainly glad I had the opportunity to have it done.

Physically I'm fine, losing weight already, I've had to fight against my natural reaction of eating when I'm bored a little, but it's resolving itself.

It takes a little courage to get the bypass done, but for me it's a relief to think that food will no longer be an issue.

Good luck to you. :)

Hey thanks all its good to know that when I get down to it im going to have the support I need lol.

Hey wobbles ye its down to you im on this sight im maz s from netmums, got an appointment next week with my dr bit scared that hes going to turn around to me and say no chance.

how did everyone one else go about geting started have you all tryed everything sorry for all the questions lol

oh no the purple site of doom :giggle:

personally I'd tried everything, and due to disability was unable to exercise and so struggled to lose weight through diet alone. I was the first person to attend local weight management classes and gain weight :D

I struggled with my weight for years and had surgery seemed like a bit of a far off dream until I found a very understanding and lovely GP. She recommended I go to the endocrinology unit at my local hospital who looked into my history and then i was referred for surgery.

I have to agree though, all the way through this I kept thinking that someone would tell me that they had changed their minds and I couldn't have the op after all. Even to the last week pre-op I was crossing everything that it was going to go ahead.

Glad to see you made it on here. Everyone really is wonderful.

I think most of us have tried practically everything to lose weight, with some success, but always put even more on. Surgery for me was the last straw, and something i've been considering for well over 2 years. The last resort cause i want to live to see my son grow up.

Good luck with your doctors appointment next week, let us know how it goes. :)

Hi and welcome to minis. i had the bypass done at the end of May by NHS. it has been a lif changing experience for me. i no longer need mediaction for my diabetes and my confidence and quality of life has improved no end. i can also enjoy my children more as i don't struggle to chase after them.

i have had weight issues from being a teenager and for the first time for as long as i can remember i can shop in any high street shop and know that i can fit a 16 anywhere. this in itself has increased my self esteem.

good luck with your Dr i hope they too will see the benefits of the bypass and support your choices. keep me posted x

Hi Everhopeful and :welcome:to the board. I was interested to see you are in Manchester as I am. I've recently been to my GP about surgery. She accepts that wls would be good for me but it's taken 4 weeks to get the first step right. If you have decided that wls is what you want, and your GP agrees , advise him/her (even if they think they know) that the 1st step is to apply for funding.

I'll be interested to know how you get on with the GP and unravelling the mysteries of Manchester PCT. On a brighter note, I 've come across a few people who were funded by Manchester PCT who said the funding process has been on average less that 4 months. One was told by her consultant that her nhs funding was quick because she was under Manchester. There is hope yet.

Good luck with your GP visit.

Hi, I had bypass 15 days ago and I am doing fine. I was funded through NHS at Salford Royal and the process was a bit long however, they have worked out the kinks so to speak and boast a 16 week turn-around from GP to surgeon to surgery date set. Good luck and keeping poking around here, some of the threads are so interesting and will help you understand the process & how you might feel. As far as life changing, I have lost almost 2 1/2 stone in the last month so I feel much lighter. I have decreased my meds and look to soon eliminate them. It is the best, most life-affirming thing I have ever done.

Good luck & keep us posted.

thanks for all the advice girls its been a big help feeling a bit scared about going to the dr in case he says well you dont need it do it on your own. But I know that this is my last resort and my last chance I have tryed everything that you can think of and I need this so badly.

What's the worse that can happen? Fear is healthy, but often irrational. If you spend some time looking at that fear, and looking at the possible outcomes, it can make it easier to handle. So think about what it is that is actually scaring you. For me, it was the prospect of being laughed at by the GP. Rationally speaking, that's not going to happen, GP's don't laugh at their patients. So thinking it through I knew the fear was irrational which made it easier to handle. Next fear, he'd not listen and send me away with pills. Rationally, yes, ok, he might do that, so the next step is what will I do if that is what happens? The answer could be either I'll assert myself and demonstrate what I've already tried and the results/lack of results in an attempt to swing his opinion, or I'll go and see a different doctor in the practice. So now I know that ok, that fear is rational, but if it happens I know what to do and how I can deal with it.

Sorry, I'm waffling :giggle: old habit. Hope it helps x

Back