• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Link between Bypass and suicide???

Meggie

Long term benefits: Gastric Bypass Surgery
•40% reduction in all cause mortality
•37.6 v 57.1 deaths/10,000 person years (P<0.001)
•56% reduction CVD death
•92% reduction in diabetes death
•60% reduction in cancer death
•But 58% increase in death from accident and suicide (11.1 v 6.4 deaths/10,000 person years)THE JEFFREY KELSON CENTREDiabetes & Endocrinology Clinics
Adams et al. 2007. NEJM ;357:8

I saw this on a website and wondered if anyone knows the links between Gastric Bypass and suicides/accidents???

Long term benefits: Gastric Bypass Surgery
•40% reduction in all cause mortality
•37.6 v 57.1 deaths/10,000 person years (P<0.001)
•56% reduction CVD death
•92% reduction in diabetes death
•60% reduction in cancer death
•But 58% increase in death from accident and suicide (11.1 v 6.4 deaths/10,000 person years)THE JEFFREY KELSON CENTREDiabetes & Endocrinology Clinics
Adams et al. 2007. NEJM ;357:8

I saw this on a website and wondered if anyone knows the links between Gastric Bypass and suicides/accidents???

Hi Meggie

Sounds a little dubious. How can a bypass cause an accident?

Suicide because of unresolved issues prior to WLS surrounding the whole issue of WL I can understand....

There are so many papers out there to read on the net.

(((hugs)))

I thought it sounded a bit strange!! This is from a presentation given by Dr Sufi at the Whittington though!! From what I've heard he knows his stuff. I don't think there is a link........it was just out of interest.

I thought it sounded a bit strange!! This is from a presentation given by Dr Sufi at the Whittington though!! From what I've heard he knows his stuff. I don't think there is a link........it was just out of interest.

Well if it was from Mr Sufi it might be worth following up some...I am really curious about the accidents...Gees I'm accident prone as it is...lol.

(((hugs)))

Haha thats what I thought!! Better stay away from cliffs and sharks!!!

Well, I haven't read it, but I shouldn't think for a minute that they are suggesting that wls physically causes more people to commit suicide per se. But maybe the psychological elements could? For instance, I remember reading that any major life event (and losing massive amounts of weight IS life-changing) seems to result in a higher rate of road accidents etc for the following 2 years - don't ask me how, but the mind can play funny tricks. One thing that might be associated more directly with wls is that many people blame their weight for problems in their life e.g. not being in a relationship, not being offered jobs etc, etc. When they lose weight, and haven't got that "reason" any more, but find that they still have the problems, maybe (if they are prone to depression) that could push them over the edge?

I guess the suicide risk would be higher, because for a lot of people WLS is the 'last resort' people have had years of problems when they get to this point.

So if the 'last resort' doesn't work for you, where do you go next?

Accidents however would be harder to guage, and is quite intriguing.

Is it individually, so my risk of having an accident will be higher once I lose weight after WLS? I guess it will make sense a bit cos I will be doing more than I do now...

I wonder what those accidents are?

Maybe we'll all be taking up extreme/dangerous sports when we lose weight, or running marathons and tripping on curbs....

Rx

I guess the suicide risk would be higher, because for a lot of people WLS is the 'last resort' people have had years of problems when they get to this point.

So if the 'last resort' doesn't work for you, where do you go next?

Accidents however would be harder to guage, and is quite intriguing.

Is it individually, so my risk of having an accident will be higher once I lose weight after WLS? I guess it will make sense a bit cos I will be doing more than I do now...

I wonder what those accidents are?

Maybe we'll all be taking up extreme/dangerous sports when we lose weight, or running marathons and tripping on curbs....

Rx

Yes Rosie

That must be it....doing more once the weight comes off...Of course, it makes sense now...ty.

(((hugs)))

Maybe the accidents are to do with eating, doing damage by eating the wrong things that will cause complications...:(:eek:

Hahaha so we'll increase the length of our lives by losing weight but then die early by freak accident!!! Nice!!

Yeh...all my planning of climbing Mount Everest will have to be cancelled now along with the F1 driving and trying to obtain a pilots licence.

(((hug)))

Lol. I was planning swimming with sharks as I figured they wouldn't want to eat my new skinny butt!!!

Well if WLS peeps are less likely to die from cancer/CVD/COPD/Diabetes something has to kill us, so I'd summise that the increase in accidents is proportional to the decrease in all the others. WLS =/= immortality ;o)

Think Rose's point on suicide is very valid and a good argument!

Ant x

We don't become immortal!??! What's the point then!!?!?!

Patients may have to be assessed by a Psychiatrist or Psychologist pre-surgery, in order to determine what psychological after-care and support is necessary for post-op patients. It's not all cut and dry - do the bypass and leave them to reach cloud nine. Post-op care should be an ongoing process with counselling back-up if necessary. Many patients who now have no ability to use food as a coping mechanism, or food as self-abuse, tend to channel their mind in other ways, not always healthy. People need to realise a slim body is what people see on the outside, but the torment and demons are still there. Deep, I know.

I was warned about the suicide and depression issues at my first assessment. I guess if food has been your emotional safety net and suddenly it is ripped from your grasping clutches for ever it might tip some over the edge.

I must admit there was a period post op where I was like a caged Lion with a rocket shoved up its Jacksey :D It lasted for a few weeks only thank goodness, but I was not nice to be around. It was the sudden realisation that this thing was forever. The enormity just overwhelmed me for a short while.

As for accidents increasing, well that is very understandable too. Its hard to suffer an accident when you are welded to an armchair :D but once you can move around and do the things you were once denied, the exposure to the dangers of the real world increase. I intend to get back on two wheels as soon as I hit 15 stone. I've even bought the crash helmet. I would never have taken that risk at 28 stone, but now I'm looking forward to the wind in my face again.

I was warned about the suicide and depression issues at my first assessment. I guess if food has been your emotional safety net and suddenly it is ripped from your grasping clutches for ever it might tip some over the edge.

I must admit there was a period post op where I was like a caged Lion with a rocket shoved up its Jacksey :D It lasted for a few weeks only thank goodness, but I was not nice to be around. It was the sudden realisation that this thing was forever. The enormity just overwhelmed me for a short while.

As for accidents increasing, well that is very understandable too. Its hard to suffer an accident when you are welded to an armchair :D but once you can move around and do the things you were once denied, the exposure to the dangers of the real world increase. I intend to get back on two wheels as soon as I hit 15 stone. I've even bought the crash helmet. I would never have taken that risk at 28 stone, but now I'm looking forward to the wind in my face again.

Hi Karlos,
I'm pre-op, but I can relate to what you say about the enormity and finality of the op. It is something that has caused me a lot of worry - the thought that there's no going back.
When I had an appointment with my surgeon in April, I asked about bypass reversal.
I MUST say, at this point, that I am NOT going into this surgery without thinking of it as a 'forever' solution, but the thought of chosing to do something that turned out to be an absolutely, permanent debilitating disaster was really messing with my head (I'm thinking about malnutrition and other serious effects, etc etc)
My surgeon told me that, yes, the bypass is reversible, but that in all his years he had only ever needed to do it once.
This was enough for me - just the knowledge that if it was absolutely necessary, it could be changed.
Also important to me, is knowing that from all the posts I read on here, there isn't anyone who regrets what they have done - even those folks (like Bonita, for example) who have had a rough ride.
I know this is going to be a life changing procedure and I'm doing all I can now to prepare myself for what (I think) lies ahead.
Thank goodness for this site

Back