• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Liquid diet

I'm glad someone started this thread because I'm on day 12 post-op and the liquid diet is starting to get me down.
I'm having meal replacement shakes (Asda Measure Up) done quite thin, soya yogurts, lots of tea, coffee, milk, water, stock cubes, Bovril, thin soups and NAS squash. Having 200-300ml every 2 hours or so.
I am going to call Heartlands tomorrow to see if I REALLY MUST do 4 weeks of liquids as they advise. I did have a few spoons of cream of tomato soup on day 4 and I felt full almost at once so it wasn't sliding down as easily. It was good to feel that fullness!
However my tummy is growling all the time and I'm aching for some mashed potato or swede or mushy peas!

I was advised that if the consistency of the liquid could pass up a straw then it was ok to have soup or whatever, if it was too thick to slightly water it or thin it down. . . .4 weeks of liquids post op does sound like a long time . . .give your provider a call and discuss this with them :)

I called Heartlands and they prefer me to make 4 weeks if I can, since there are a few stitches holding my band in place and they don't want me to stretch those with sloppies. However, they gave me some good advice about when to eat more proteins and said I can have more Measure Up/Slim-Fast in the evening if my tummy is growling :) they also said 3 weeks is the absolute minimum, so I think I can do one more week, heh.

you'll find that nearly all of us have those stitches . . .it is always rather bizarre the information that varies so much between providers, I was liquids for 2 weeks then mash, some go straight to pureed and then mash . . .this is why, if you ever have any doubts or questions to go to your provider :)

But yes, I would think that you would need to be having a bit extra, things will even out a little when you hit foods :)_

All of us have stiches it's just some providers do thing different my friend only had to do liquid after for 3 days then move on too mushies , I had too do 2 weeks liquid then mushies , some have anti clot injections for a week some a day,I can imagine its hard doing liquids for 4 weeks but if that's what your provider says then best stick with it , good luck on your journey xx

Mazza, I am not sure why you are angry. Yes I did ask for advice and I do appreciate all the advice everyone here provided. I am not discounting anybody's opinion, yours included. When you wrote that I may not have enough nutrition, I asked which one because I was worried that I am missing something. Why is it so offensive to you? I am really confused, because the last thing I would want is to hurt you or offend you. I am really thankful to all kind people here on the forum who take their time and tell me how they dealt with the same problems when they were in the same situation.

The dietician who told me about the 60g of protein per day, it was several years ago, when I was trying to sort out my eating. So it wasn't done in connection with this surgery and therefore I was so unsure whether I have to stick to it for those two weeks. But enough posters have been advising me to worry about getting enough liquid and forget temporarily about the protein, so I will listen to everyone. :) (I think it is my fault sometimes trying to be too perfect, do exactly what I should be doing, and sometimes it is just not doable. But if others survived alright without chasing the proteins, I will be fine temporarily without them too.)

Im neither angry or upset. Going on your post of just drinking juice and tea no you wouldn't be getting enough nutrition. You then said you were taking a vitamin supplement, which you hadn't previously said.

Its difficult to advise with half a picture but thats all I tried to do. You did appear to be questioning what I was saying, which again was based on what you originaly said (just tea and juice). You are now saying the 60g advice was given not in connection to your surgery - and your confused, so am I :confused:

You should always, always go on the current advice of your provider for your current situation - not advice given a couple of years ago and certainly not from here without checking with your provider first.

I'm not saying I know everything but I am at goal and maintaining and have had my band for 3 1/2 years. So I have been through the pre op, post op stages, as well as fills and after fill regime.

Back