• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Longterm malabsorption with bypass

Phojay

middle name OPTIMISTIC!!!
SORRY, SORRY, SORRY....I keep chucking up negative questions and really hope thats ok, I seem to be hooked on this forum now and picking all the experts brains!

Came across another site where people were talking about longterm malabsorption, and the question was asked, 'if we're looking at the short term effects of this and trying to compensate with vitamin/mineral supplements, this is fine for the next 10 years or so, but how will my body be coping after 30 or 40 years of malabsorption????' Obviously aftercare is paramount in recovery, including dieticians, bariatric nurses and regular blood tests to monitor levels but how do our bodies cope inside over many years with less nutrients?

Sorry again for yapping on......my brains never had so much activity...

Don't worry Z, there are lots of clever people here who will be able to inform you. Sadly I'm not one of them but just wanted to reassure you that I'm sure no-one minds however many qu's you have.:)

I was told that malabsorption isn't an issue longer term as your body begins to compenstate after about 2 years post op.

Clever thing the body!

I don't know. I tried to ask my GP and she said whatever it's not as bad a long term prognosis as staying as I am! Hardy ha ha ha I thought

Probably the lesser of 2 evils

There's lot's of different info regarding this matter and the fact is it differ's from person to person, there are statistic's around regarding long term health problems due to malnutrition and death is not un heard of. I'm afraid it's something you will have to factor in when making the decission to have the op. There is no set garuntee so it's no possible to say what will happen, also there has been no official medical study on this matter in this country as of yet.

There's lot's of different info regarding this matter and the fact is it differ's from person to person, there are statistic's around regarding long term health problems due to malnutrition and death is not un heard of. I'm afraid it's something you will have to factor in when making the decission to have the op. There is no set garuntee so it's no possible to say what will happen, also there has been no official medical study on this matter in this country as of yet.

Dude - totally disagree with everything you've written here, Perissa has it absolutely spot on, longerterm your body will adapt to the lowered food intake and compensate, the intestine adapts and absorbes differently and you will reach a weight that your body is happy being, in fact the body compensates so well your actually at risk of regaining weight as it learns to function on a lot less ! at this point all those bad habbits you've been getting away with will come back to haunt you, its so important to get your head in to healthy eating and exercise to maintain the weight lose long term !

Malabsorbtion is a common side effect of the op in some people, especially if not monitored properly. Your body will adapt and most people will be fine but it's not garunteed for everyone, there are still those long term having to have b12 injections etc, and of course the multivits, iron and zinc, this is because of malabsorbtion so I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

Malabsorbtion is a common side effect of the op in some people, especially if not monitored properly. Your body will adapt and most people will be fine but it's not garunteed for everyone, there are still those long term having to have b12 injections etc, and of course the multivits, iron and zinc, this is because of malabsorbtion so I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

This hole your diggings getting deeper Paul ! - has no one told you that you will need to take the vitimins for the rest of your life ? or thats there's a strong possibility that your body will no longer store B12 and therefore your going to be dependant on B12 shots for the rest of your life ?

Bypassers malabsorb, it one of the two ways we lose weight ! but the body adapts and will adapt to having less intestine, i dont believe the malabsorbtion ever stops but rather slows down and your intestine learns to absorb more of what you eat.

I'll get me shovel out then...

I'm not disagreeing with you about the fact that the body adapts, I was just trying to say that long term there is still malabsorbtion possibilities and long term it can create problems if not catered for properly. Not in everyone of course. Our bodies are all so very different in the way they react to thing's, long term who know's?

I do know about lifetime vits and possible b12 suppliments, I get my bloods done fairly regularly and I'm pretty lucky that there pretty much bang on.

B12 - remember your body will store B12 for upto 6 months, so its possible to assume as your ok now that you will always be, when in fact without topping up the B12 you could become deficent ! though your yearly blood work up should spot issues. Its better to have the B12 shots and not need them, than encounter problems at a later date ;)

Oh I agree, it's importnt that bloods are tested regular. I'm 9 months on now and all is still well so far. My hospital have been a bit useless to be honest but we get what we want in the end as long as we pester them ............ lol.

I know that theres loads of info on here already but this is all I was trying to say, and trying to answer the question by saying that long term, there are no guarantee's, just because you get 10 years down the line ok doesnt meen that you cant get problems after that. I'm not very good at writing things out, I know what I want to say but don't always put it down very well.

al journal Neurology. The study concludes that patients who undergo gastric bypass surgery, also known as bariatric surgery, are at risk for long-term vitamin and mineral deficiencies and may develop a variety of neurological symptoms.

“The frequency of operations for treatment of obesity is rapidly growing in the United States,” Juhasz Pocsine said. “These procedures are usually successful in reducing weight, but they are not without risk. Many of the complications patients experience affect the nervous system, and they are often disabling and irreversible.”
More than 150 patients who came to the UAMS Neurology Clinic following gastric bypass were included in the report. In 26 of these patients, a link between the surgery and their neurological condition was found.
All of the patients involved in the study had previously undergone the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass procedure in which a small stomach pouch is created by stapling part of the stomach together and bypassing part of the small bowel, resulting in reduced food intake and a decreased ability to absorb the nutrients in food. The interval between surgery and onset of neurological symptoms ranged from 4 weeks to 18 years.
Additional authors include UAMS Department of Neurology faculty members Sami I. Harik, M.D., department chairman and professor of neurology; Stacy A. Rudnicki, M.D., associate professor of neurology; and Robert L. “Lee” Archer, M.D., associate professor of neurology.
The 26 people involved in the study were followed for several years by UAMS physicians and represent the largest compilation of gastric bypass patients with neurological complications ever reported.
“As is evident from our findings, the neurological complications of bariatric surgery involve most parts of the nervous system, and frequently more than one,” Juhasz Pocsine said. “The conditions experienced by our patients spanned most regions of the nervous system from the cerebral cortex to the peripheral nerves.”
Symptoms of the patients in the study included confusion, auditory hallucinations, optic neuropathy, weakness and loss of sensation in the legs, and pain in the feet, among other conditions. None of the patients had prior neurological symptoms.
Many of the patients also experienced multiple nutritional abnormalities, especially low serum copper, vitamin B12, vitamin D, iron and calcium.
“Attention should be given to long-term intake of vitamin and mineral supplements to prevent some of these complications and to avoid severe and rapid weight loss,” Juhasz Pocsine said. “Patients should be made aware of the symptoms that herald these neurological complications, and physicians should attend to the wide-based nutritional deficiencies as early as possible.”

Its swings and roundabouts though isn't it? According to that info in your post some of us bypassers could suffer neurolocical problems further down the line, however some of us are already suffering neurological problems brought on by being overweight.

Seems your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't..lol

Its swings and roundabouts though isn't it? According to that info in your post some of us bypassers could suffer neurolocical problems further down the line, however some of us are already suffering neurological problems brought on by being overweight.

Seems your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't..lol

There are no certanties in life in anything, just gotta try and enjoy being here. :)

Can i just be a bit of a party pooper???? If Zorcia is looking on the internet and scaring herself with risks from having WLS then are you ready for this huge step Zorcia?? I don't think you are as you are being very negative about this procedure.

Life is a risk and we know that eventually we will all expire our mortal coil, but will good diet (proteins, vits/minerals, some carbs etc) and properly monitored you can lead a normal healthy life and go on to have a long life (or however long your time clock as been set to).

Some cancer patients lose part or all of their stomachs and still manage to live healthy and fulfilled lives - as they again are monitored correctly to ensure that this is so.

I'm sorry if people think i am being harsh - and it is just my opinion and maybe i should keep shtum but Zorcia this isn't the first thread you have posted that you express negativity. If you remain morbidly obese you are at far greater risk than having WLS and as i have said before i intend to live a long long time - i'm having this op to have a BETTER quality of life and a healthy life and yes i will ensure that i am monitored by my GP and other health professionals that will give me the chance to carry out my threat.

I'm sorry if i have upset anybody it is not my intention

Zorcia i am sending hugs with fairy dust to help you become calm and focus on what you really want x

Can i just be a bit of a party pooper???? If Zorcia is looking on the internet and scaring herself with risks from having WLS then are you ready for this huge step Zorcia?? I don't think you are as you are being very negative about this procedure.

Life is a risk and we know that eventually we will all expire our mortal coil, but will good diet (proteins, vits/minerals, some carbs etc) and properly monitored you can lead a normal healthy life and go on to have a long life (or however long your time clock as been set to).

Some cancer patients lose part or all of their stomachs and still manage to live healthy and fulfilled lives - as they again are monitored correctly to ensure that this is so.

I'm sorry if people think i am being harsh - and it is just my opinion and maybe i should keep shtum but Zorcia this isn't the first thread you have posted that you express negativity. If you remain morbidly obese you are at far greater risk than having WLS and as i have said before i intend to live a long long time - i'm having this op to have a BETTER quality of life and a healthy life and yes i will ensure that i am monitored by my GP and other health professionals that will give me the chance to carry out my threat.

I'm sorry if i have upset anybody it is not my intention

Zorcia i am sending hugs with fairy dust to help you become calm and focus on what you really want x

I do understand your point, but she did say 'Sorry as she keeps asking negative questions'

Questioning and seeking the answers is a good thing, the malabsorbtion one hasn't come up for ages, and remember different things worry different people.

Its important to educate yourself and understand what your getting yourself into, but to be honest WLS is no more risky than any other procedure if your obese !

Back