• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Longterm malabsorption with bypass

wls isnt a bed of roses, the negitives have to be spoken about as well and looking at both sides of the coin helps educate the patient and be more aware of how to cope, if people only wrote about the positive sides on here then it would lead people into a very false world only to be brought back to reality with a very large bump.

liz x

I can understand the need to know because I am one of them. I need to know all the positives and negatives of everything I do. When I first met my surgeon I took an A4 sheet of questions in with me and most were negatives.

This is surprising because on the whole I am a positive person!

Anyway - I was told that I would have to take multivits and calcium D3 for life. My surgeon does not recommend routine vet B12 injections unless blood tests reveal that you need them. I happen to need them and have been told that I will need them for life. However I know a number of bypassers who don't need them.

What does worry me a bit is that often the advice given on here is misleading (I don't mean on this thread). People say you must do this or that or take this or that and it simply isn't true.

Last edited:
As ss said, there are risks in all types of procedures, hell just being obese is a risk in it's self. You have to look at all the possibilities positive and negative, it's the only way you can make an accurate desicion on what path you want to take.
I have a friend who was offered the op, hell he even got into the hospital and 4 hours before surgery he decided it wasnt right for him. He calculated the pro's and con's and made his decision. He felt the risks outweighed the rewards.

I understand all the points you have all made and i would be a liar if i said i hadn't had negative thoughts about this drastic procedure and yes you have to research and as questions - but don't allow the knowledge you are acquiring to send you into a spin.

Logically go through all the pro's and con's (as we do with other decisions we have to make in our lives) but we all have to remain grounded and realistic being morbidly obese is one of the huge risks WE put our bodies through for whatever reason - just don't let every question whether positive or negative take you to the extremes in your emotions this is a hard enough fight as it is.

I am the worlds worst patient and i know this is going to be one hell of a life changing procedure to go through and yes there is even a chance i may not lose the weight as well as others but i tell you what i will give this thing such i fight it will know i am the one in charge and remember somewhere in the world someone is worse off than you - so try and live your life as positively as possible. Again sorry if i have offended anyone it is not intentional

I can understand the need to know because I am one of them. I need to know all the positives and negatives of everything I do. When I first met my surgeon I took an A4 sheet of questions in with me and most were negatives.

This is surprising because on the whole I am a positive person!

Anyway - I was told that I would have to take multivits and calcium D3 for life. My surgeon does not recommend routine vet B12 injections unless blood tests reveal that you need them. I happen to need them and have been told that I will need them for life. However I know a number of bypassers who don't need them.

What does worry me a bit is that often the advice given on here is misleading (I don't mean on this thread). People say you must do this or that or take this or that and it simply isn't true.

The bottom line is that one should always seek the advice of their own healthcare providers in the first instance. Some of the advice offered on here is subjective and as a result of individuals' personal experiences. If I was needing advice of a serous nature, then I would always go to my healthcare provider first.

The bottom line is that one should always seek the advice of their own healthcare providers in the first instance. Some of the advice offered on here is subjective and as a result of individuals' personal experiences. If I was needing advice of a serous nature, then I would always go to my healthcare provider first.
Excellent advice Red

:grouphugg:dear topsy i am totally with you on all you say,i have done a lot of research both pros an cons ,and it took me a year to make my decision an approach gp.so i do also worry that zorca may not be to sure about her decision,[good luck zorca] hope you soon feel a little more positive

I dont know whether to apologize now for starting this thread! Everyone's oppinions have been gratefully received and I take on board all of them. I have had many a chat with my consultant, he's rung me several times as well in the evening, bless! I guess I do tend to churn things over and maybe over analyse things too much sometimes but this is such a life changing decision I dont think I will stop asking questions until I'm on that table,and probably still be talking as I drift off! But thats just me! Thanx to all for replies and no offence taken! Best wishes to all having ops next week, I'm off 6am Monday morning so will catch with everyone when I get back! take care x

No Zorcia it is a good thread and if you hadn't said anything we wouldn't have had this debate. i just want you to make the right decision for you that's what worry's me. Sending hugs with fairy dust to help you.

You sound as if you have a very understanding surgeon not many would do that so you are lucky to have one that cares about you and your decision x

Good luck for Monday Zorica. Look forward to hearing all about it when you get back and feel up to it. x

Best of luck honey, will keep you in my thoughts. xx

Back