• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Losing faith in my surgeon - should I get a new one?

Ah, Im so glad you are making some progress hun. I have been worried for you.

Belgium certainly sounds much more positive than the SA experience. Do you know yet how soon you could have the op if you opt for Belgium?

Hi
yes my son has had no more problems he can not be sick or berp 1 thing you should ask about is wind in your tum my son is feed by a tube in his tum so i can release any extra air through that but dont no what happens with out it if your having the same as he did nothing can come up.
any thing else i will help if i can
good luck

Ah, Im so glad you are making some progress hun. I have been worried for you.

Belgium certainly sounds much more positive than the SA experience. Do you know yet how soon you could have the op if you opt for Belgium?

They're hoping to tell me on Tuesday. I've said I want early May and they say usually that should not be a problem but they can't confirm until the surgeon returns from hols on Tuesday. They're very nice people to deal with.

Hi
yes my son has had no more problems he can not be sick or berp 1 thing you should ask about is wind in your tum my son is feed by a tube in his tum so i can release any extra air through that but dont no what happens with out it if your having the same as he did nothing can come up.
any thing else i will help if i can
good luck

yes it sounds like the same thing. My GP has warned me that after the op it will be physically impossible for me to puke. He says that with adults, some can burp after, some can't. He says for most adults it's OK if they avoid fizzy drinks and I'm not a big fan of those anyway. He reckons that you just fart instead, says it releases the gas more slowly but if it can't come up, it will go down! To be honest, I puke so much at the moment and my quality of life is so poor that it seems worth the price of not burping.

Sorry to hear your son is still fed through a stomach tube. Will that improve? Do you mind me asking if he was keyhole surgery or open? Was he sore for long after it?

It must be hard seeing your little one go through an operation. x

thats good at least it makes u feel good about it too ... i hate it when you are spending money on something and the people your giving it to are so rude !! its like do u want my money ??

and when it comes to health and life theres no question people should not be so rude when dealing with these matters and should be kind and helpful ..

so i hope u get somewhere with these people hun .. xx

thats good at least it makes u feel good about it too ... i hate it when you are spending money on something and the people your giving it to are so rude !! its like do u want my money ??

Exactly!! If I want someone to be rude to me, heck I can get that for free!:)

I'm going to email him later today and ditch him. Even if I can't sort it out with the Belgians, I'm not going to him. He's obviously one of those doctors who thinks you should just shut up, not ask questions and do as you're told. Well, I'm a patient who does ask questions and I expect respectful answers. I'm clearly not going to be able to have a satisfactory and trusting patient-doc relationship with him.

And I don't want to become one of those horror stories of people who regret going abroad for cheap surgery. There are warning signs here and I'd be a fool to ignore them.

I can still get this on the NHS as hubby works for the UK govt so we are still classed as technically living in the UK and we pay our taxes in the UK, not here.

see im one of tho's people who think nhs here in uk is very good and clean .. as i said yea i have lived all over the place i did not mean SA was not clean ..

i had a house in Australia where i rented 3 bedrooms out and i rented to SA for around 6 months and they where so rude .. loud .. thought everything that came out of SA was the best .. and no matter what u got them to try SA had something better ...

so i was just thinking he was like that and rude in his ways .. and im sorry i would not put my life in his hands .

its a real shame u could not have come back to uk for a while and had it done here then u would get all the support and help.

but i hope u do make the right choice and have it sorted soon x

Glad yr getting it sorted. Yes you will fart for england to get rid of exces build up, one of the children i used to care for had a nissan and even though he was tube fed he was on a continuose drip feed so he used to pump for england. We used gripe water for him when he was very bad and had tummy ache with it but it far outweighed how poorly he was befor his op.
good luck
hc

Glad yr getting it sorted. Yes you will fart for england to get rid of exces build up, one of the children i used to care for had a nissan and even though he was tube fed he was on a continuose drip feed so he used to pump for england. We used gripe water for him when he was very bad and had tummy ache with it but it far outweighed how poorly he was befor his op.
good luck
hc

Yep, I've read up on the side effects and it sounds way better than way I put up with at the moment. And I can't have another pregnancy unless I have the op so that's pretty important to me.

The SA surgeon has complained to my referring GP here about my questions!!!

According to him it indicates that I am over-anxious, probably mentally unstable and not psychologically suited for surgery. Sheer cheek!

He also says that I will not be able to handle the possible side-effects or complications of the Nissen. Well, if he'd bothered to communicate with me, he'd have realised that I have researched it extensively (I used to work for a pharma research company so I know) and also that my quality of life and problems with this at present are completely debilitating and unhealthy and that wind, burping problems can only be an improvement on that. I might have to be on a liquid diet for a few weeks afterwards but if so, I see that as a positive opportunity to lose weight.

FFS!!! I know I'm not nuts. i've posted my questions here previously - they are reasonable questions. I simply expect to get what I pay for and be treated with civility and respect. He's rude and arrogant. After this experience I would not recommend surgery in South Africa to anyone. I'm glad I found this out before I got there.

Hi
yes he had keyhole they had him on lots of pain killers for 12 hours then got him up the next day after they took his drains out a little sore but wanted to play we went home next day so only in 2 nights.

his eating is now down to having a very sensitive gag with not eating for so long we are trying to get him to eat he has lots of docs helping him so one day maybe
keep in touch
xx

Hi
yes he had keyhole they had him on lots of pain killers for 12 hours then got him up the next day after they took his drains out a little sore but wanted to play we went home next day so only in 2 nights.

his eating is now down to having a very sensitive gag with not eating for so long we are trying to get him to eat he has lots of docs helping him so one day maybe
keep in touch
xx

Aww, brave little lad. I hope it gets easier for him soon. x

How you doing Island breeze?

Hi I.B. how are things with you?
I am totally disgusted by the SA surgeon's attitude. Is he a throw back to the 1930's where people would unquestioningly accept what the doctor said, while grasping their flat caps in their hands and stammering in front of the greatness of the all-knowing Doctor (who probably had a bottle of scotch in the desk drawer anyway!)

Hope things are sorted ASAP x

I just red this on the BBC is this what you need to have done?

BBC NEWS | Health | 'I can eat pizza again after 10 years'

Thanks for the link. yes, that's the op I'm having. I'm classed as having it very severely and it does make life hell. Even if I live off boiled rice and water I still get up in the night puking. I'm very lucky to have a GP here who's finally addressing it. I'm scared but excited that the problem might finally be cured.

The Belgians can fit me in for the op on Wednesday may 6th. That's only one day later than it would have been in Cape Town. They've answered all my questions and I think it's time to get the credit card out. Ship leaves here on Tuesday and we arrive in Cape Town on the 27th. I think we'll spend a night or two in the Cape and then fly to Europe overnight arriving on the 30th. I need to check into hospital on the Sunday night for them to do MRSA test and then pre-op tests on Mon and Tues.

Eeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

Am slightly freaked out by op date also being the 10th anniversary of my dad's death. Is that weird? I adored my dad and still miss him loads.

I am so so excited for you and now I read that it all makes a lot of sense to me now lol.....Im sure if he could your dad would wish you all the luck in the world babe xxx

I've just booked and paid for the surgery in Belgium to take place on May 6th. I will be in hospital for 7 days.

I am scared, nervous, excited and hopeful. This illness has ruined my quality of life for so long. If the op works it will be life-restoring for me.

Thank you all for your support and please keep your fingers crossed for me.

x

Hope it goes well for you :)

Back