• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pros and Cons of going to different countrys for surgery

irishlady2014

Apologies if there is already a thread on this guys I couldn't see it.

My story is that I am having a gastric sleeve soon privately, I am living in Ireland and I have the option to have the surgery hear but the price is about +5 grand more than if I went to the UK, I was leaning towards going to the UK as money is a issue (as it is with almost everybody I am sure this surgery doesn't come cheep)

In the last few days I am having doubts as I have been warned by my GP and a few ppl that I have spoke with that if something goes wrong post op (sorry to be negative but it can happen) down the line that any doctor in Ireland would be reluctant to deal with me as it was carried out abroad.

I know I would have surgical cover with the provider but if I did get in to an emergency situation and was in pain .... its not as easy as just hoping on a plane and back to the UK so that's why I am now wondering is it worth paying the extra money and having the security of having your surgeon based in the same country only an hours drive away encase anything did go wrong down the line.

Any opinions, experiences from anybody that's been thru this dilemma..... would be greatly welcomed as I need to make a decision very soon where to have my surgery and get fully booked in

Hi, right now I am in France and have just had a mini gastric bypass on Wednesday. I am now out of the hospital and am spending tonight in a hotel and tomorrow evening getting a ferry to Portsmouth then an 1.30min drive home. So far everything has been fine and I have X-rays and letters to give to my gp all from my surgeon. By me going to France was half the price than me having it in the uk and I had a very experienced surgeon of which I done my research on. If anything was to go wrong I would go to my local hospital and I'm sure I would be looked after. It is very scary as I have come here on my own and Ido wish someone had come with me but I'm glad that everything was fine so far. For me I couldn't of had the surgery I wanted in the uk,I just couldn't afford it.
Goodluck with your decision x

Thanks for your reply. I hope you are mending up well after that what is a mini bypass btw? pardon my ignorance but i hadent heared of it until now and please keep us updated with your progress. I think i will have to travel to have my sleeve done too realistically coz at the end of the day money is a masive factor unfortunately

Hi, right now I am in France and have just had a mini gastric bypass on Wednesday. I am now out of the hospital and am spending tonight in a hotel and tomorrow evening getting a ferry to Portsmouth then an 1.30min drive home. So far everything has been fine and I have X-rays and letters to give to my gp all from my surgeon. By me going to France was half the price than me having it in the uk and I had a very experienced surgeon of which I done my research on. If anything was to go wrong I would go to my local hospital and I'm sure I would be looked after. It is very scary as I have come here on my own and Ido wish someone had come with me but I'm glad that everything was fine so far. For me I couldn't of had the surgery I wanted in the uk,I just couldn't afford it.
Goodluck with your decision x

Hiya hun... I went to my local hospital 8 years after being banded and was completely mis diagnosed ... I was in hospital for a week with the worst sickness you can imagine.. told them I was banded but at no point did they once seek advice from a bariatric trained doctor/nurse/surgeon.....
I recovered enough to go home after a week..
As soon as I spoke to a bariatric surgeon about by symptoms he told me without even touching me that my band had slipped...
a barium swallow confirmed this and im now waiting to have the horrid thing taken out and revised to bypass..

I would highly advise you to do some homework and find out the nearest NHS hospital with a bariatric unit/services just in case you have a problem...

I had my original banding surgery in france too in 2004 due to cost so I totally understand your reasons..

good luck xx

Back