• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Medical Insurance

snooky

I was just wondering if anyone in the Uk had had their surgery covered by private medical insurance. We have cover through my husbands work, but I was always under the impression it wasn't covered until today.

I have just been to an appointment with my back consultant and he asked why I wasn't going private for bariatric surgery as he knows they do cover it if it is for medical reasons.

I have to wait for my husband to come home to phone them as he has to deal with it through work. Might be good news you never know, what's the worst they can do say no and I'm no worse off I suppose.

I was just wondering if anyone in the Uk had had their surgery covered by private medical insurance. We have cover through my husbands work, but I was always under the impression it wasn't covered until today.

I have just been to an appointment with my back consultant and he asked why I wasn't going private for bariatric surgery as he knows they do cover it if it is for medical reasons.

I have to wait for my husband to come home to phone them as he has to deal with it through work. Might be good news you never know, what's the worst they can do say no and I'm no worse off I suppose.

Hope it works out for you, Snooky .. don't ask don't get, lol xxx :)

Which insurance companies was your back consultant thinking of? :confused:

All I do know is that BUPA do not cover bariatric surgery, and I found this out in January when I was first referred by my GP.

My GP was somehow convinced the existing BUPA cover that I have (which has been very helpful for my knee and hip problems) might cover, and my GP was all excitedly telling me about a "special" private surgeon he would refer me to if BUPA would cover it. After getting the (negative) answer, GP had to revert to referring me to one of the more traditional NHS hospitals (which I am very happy with so far).

I phoned BUPA twice and they confirmed that BUPA do not cover any treatments for chronic illnesses or conditions including obesity. This falls within their rules of Reconstructive & Cosmetic Surgery -- and they did double check this for me.

(And don't even bother start arguing that bariatric surgery is NOT cosmetic, it is life saving, because they will then just class it as "Reconstructive" because it re-constructs your whole stomach !!)

If, however, your insurance company is different, let us all know -- I will ditch BUPA pronto !!!! :D

(As Twinkle said -- if you don't ask, you don't get -- no harm in posing the question. If your insurance firm has a different answer, even better!)

Back