• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Medicare - Do they approve WLS

Andrea73

HI All

After some advice. My husband has private medical insurance through his work with a company called Medicare. I am also covered. Does anyone know if they would fund my weight loss surgery through them or even some of it??? My doctor does support the surgery so I'm sure would be happy to confirm it in writing. I've tried to research it on the web and have found out that some medical insurance companies pay for it as in the long run it does lead to a healthier life rather than being obese!

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Hi Andrea,

I believe its not common in the UK for WLS to be funded by health insurance. I guess the only way to be sure is to read terms and conditions, or give them a ring.

Have you looked to see if you meet the criteria for surgery on the NHS. BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association is a good starting point.

Hi

Im with AXA PPP and they class WLS as elective so it is therefore not covered.

o well it was worth a try. Struggling to raise the money so thought that might help even if they paid some of it.

WLS surgery in UK is classed as elective, so insurance very very rarely covers it. But call your policy provider to be 100 percent sure.

Have you tried the NHS route, might be worth piggybacking that with your efforts to save.

Back