• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

milk and pre op/gallstones

mandyl

hi
at pre op ass dietician said it was fine for me to have the milk diet with my stones.
i was worried but she said it was fine. dr yesterday said dietician would know best. its the recomended and easier of the two diets so would like to do it but bit worried too. anyone had gallstones and drank milk? thanks xx

Mandy - if you've been given medical advice stating clearly that its ok to drink milk on your pre op diet with your stones, then whats the problem ?

Mandy - if you've been given medical advice stating clearly that its ok to drink milk on your pre op diet with your stones, then whats the problem ?
worried about getting pain i guess or i could just be and idiot who knows lol.xx

hi
at pre op ass dietician said it was fine for me to have the milk diet with my stones.
i was worried but she said it was fine. dr yesterday said dietician would know best. its the recomended and easier of the two diets so would like to do it but bit worried too. anyone had gallstones and drank milk? thanks xx

What is the 'Milk Diet', what do you have to do?
(Apart from drink milk that is... :D )

worried about getting pain i guess or i could just be and idiot who knows lol.xx

Mandy you have to understand that the folks here on the forum are not medically trained as a general rule or doctors, therefore if you have been told by a medical expert that you can have milk then there should be no problem !

Mandy you have to understand that the folks here on the forum are not medically trained as a general rule or doctors, therefore if you have been told by a medical expert that you can have milk then there should be no problem !
oh i no just like reassurance xx

I dont want to sound patronising, but my Nan used to do this, she'd go to the Doctors with some complaint and he'd give her a prescription for some drugs to take, but she wouldn't take them because Betty or Vera in the old peoples day centre said not to, or to take something else - my argument was had Betty or Vera done a medical degree ? had either spent 7 years training to become a Doctor ? - and if not what made them experienced enough to doubt the experience and qualification of my Nans Doctor to the extent that she wouldn't take the drugs.

What your effectively doing here is the same thing, asking unqualified peoples opinion over something that you have been told to do by someone qualified to give that advice !

Mandy

As I'm not on the milk diet I am not sure what type of milk they have advised you to drink. On the pre op diet I have been given I have to drink a pint of semi skimmed milk a day, including whatever goes into my tea or coffee and tins of weight watchers soups and yoghurts.

For those with gall stones, generally dieticians recommend that you swap full fat or jersey full cream milk to semi skimmed or skimmed milk.

So if you milk diet recommends semi skimmed there should be no problems.

I stress though that if your milk diet tells you to drink full fat milk, do not contradict this unless your health providers agree to it.

I too have gall stones and dont foresee any problems.

Good luck.

Mandy

Of course you need reassurance....Most of us do...But the best person to give you advice is that dietician...follow everything she said.

I can so so understand your fear about having the gallbladder pain return...it is a terrifying pain...I have had it, so I know.

I was never told to stop drinking milk Mandy, but told to make sure everything I had was low fat....So Swizzle is right....Besides which, you only have to do this diet for a short time...so no harm done.

Good luck

Hi i have gallstones and did 4 days s/s milk and yogurt with no problem - got bored though and switched to another diet last week, but i have today started milk and yogurt again before my op next friday so i am sure you will be ok!

thanks guys will be doing it. wont let me have skimmed but will have semi. only reason was scared is i remember milk not agreeing with my mums stones. mainly its cos im here alone and i panic alot.xx

Aw Mandy we are here for you hun...i always second guess too and panic..its just human nature. My hubby never gets that sometimes i just need a sounding board and i don't always want a solution...consider us your sounding board :) and OMG 19 days to go how exciting is that!!!!! I'll be thinking of ya - got my first consultation that day :D

thanks hun,very very excited.xxx

I have Gall stones and I did the milk diet with no side effects the milk you drink on the milk diet is either skimmed or semi skimmed which ever is recommended by your dietician or provider and the fat levels are low and shouldn't cause you any pain. Do you have pain now when you drink milk? If so then you need to mention this to your dietician but otherwise they know best and their advice should be followed as already said by SS xx

Last edited:
I can understand why Mandy would worry about drinking a large amount of milk when its common knowledge that dairy products agrivate Gall stones and the pain is pretty rotten.

Mandy you should be ok as long as you stick to skimmed or semi skimmed milk otherwise your dietician wouldn't have advised it.

Thistle Milk by the way is supposed to be very good for Gall Stones.

xx

I can understand why Mandy would worry about drinking a large amount of milk when its common knowledge that dairy products agrivate Gall stones and the pain is pretty rotten.

Mandy you should be ok as long as you stick to skimmed or semi skimmed milk otherwise your dietician wouldn't have advised it.

Thistle Milk by the way is supposed to be very good for Gall Stones.

xx
thanks bonita,i thought i was going nuts.xx

Milk Diet Info Please.... :)

This milk diet.... what exactly is the script?
I know u have to drink milk, but what else?
Just milk all day, any food?
Wondering what i'll need to be doing before surgery.

Thanks. x

:eatdrink017:

Hi mine was 5 pints of semi skimmed milk a day, 1 or 2 oxo cubes/bovril, 1pt of sugar free jelly, 1 or 2 fybogels and a santogen gold multi vit tablet. And at least 2 pints of low calorie drink/water.

Back