• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

milk diet

betty29

hi i keep reading about milk diet people are on can any one tell me about this please i was given a liver shrinking diet to do 2 weeks before op thats very little to eat all food has to be weighed 50grams cerial yoghurt 2 pieces of friut a day and so on but would like to know about milk diert and if i can do this before the pre op diet thanks

hiya luv not sure of the diet itself but it think its 4 pints of milk a day with suger free jelly and 1 cup of oxo - and thats all your allowed.
sugga recently did it and if my memory is right lisa is on it at the moment - probably a few others but not sure!
karen on here told me derby dont give you the option of the milk diet because they dont believe that its right for us to be starving ourselves! but i am going to ask about it on my next apointment because i would prefer to do the milk diet too! i think i would find it easier!

people differ i think but i think the majority of people do loose abit of weight on it - the pre op isnt about loosing weight though - its about shrinking your liver to make your surgery safer, they have to lift your liver out of the way to get to your stomach i think so if the liver is large it could make surgery difficult!

It's not many people get a choice. It's normally what your surgeon requests you to do and you have to stick to it.

Weight loss can be a stone or 2 but that's not the main aim, it's to, as you have said, shrink your liver.

they put me on a 6 month waiting list in september so hopefully is shouldnt be much longer!
so long as the outcome is the same (shrunken liver) it shouldnt matter how we get there! from the people ive talked to at the same hospital - they dont offer the milk diet at all to any1... they dont believe in us having to starve ourselves for that lenght of time because we have to have liquids after too! ill know more in a weeks time because my apointment is on the 17th and im going to ask them about it so ill let you know what they say x

that will be great do you see jackie to weigh in i feel lost just being told to wait for op appointment not knowing how long i have to wait

erm im not sure! is she one of the nurses or one of the dieticians - last time a nurse took me in this little room to put me on the big scales lol then i went in to see the dietician which was lynsey - she was rite nice! then i went in to see the aneathatist who explained abit about how it happens on the day and asked about my familys health history - then had some bloods taken while i waited to see the surgeon! went into see the surgeon who explained about the different procedures and he said he thought the bypass would be best for me and he gave me 3 months to get some exercise in and strengthen my heart as im very unfit and get out of breath easy.
i went back 3 months later and i only saw the dietician lynsey who weighed me and went through my diet with me and she said i was doing well and that id be on the waiting list from that day and it was currently about 6 months long...... maybe longer now!
i think karen was on the list more along the lines of 8 month and beth was on it longer and thety was told the same - my 6 months is up on the 23rd of march so im hoping it isnt long!
suppose not every1 is the same love it just depends on you realy and your circumstances! have you had to apply for funding??

yes she is the other dietcian they are all very nice its about a yr since i first went i have funding in place i had it before my first appt i was told i was on the list then the next time i was told i was put on the list that time so not sure how long ive been on list either 7 or 4 mths

oooow - seems it differs alot then - why dont you give them a ring hun and see what date you was put on the list and then ask how long the waiting list is and when your expected to get a date! see what they say xxx

Hi

I was put on the milk diet last Oct and I had 9 weeks to lose 5% of my weight i managed this is in 4 weeks but had to stay on it for 5 weeks as I couldnt get an appt with the surgeon till then.. so in the end I lost 7% so it was all good.

Luton and Dunstable make everyone do this so it proves they are committed to and they can tolerate a liquid diet.

I am now on it again for 2 weeks pre op to shrink the liver, and as it was mentioned it is 4 pints of semi skimmed milk 2 salty drinks ie oxo cubes and sugar free jelly and thats all we are allowed.

Debbie x

sounds awful! how do u guys stick to it for 5 weeks...id go mad!

sounds awful! how do u guys stick to it for 5 weeks...id go mad!

Move to Cornwall, we only have to do it for a week - or so I was told ;)

Do slimfast shakes class as a milk diet?
I am going to ask my surgeon tonight.
Lynne x

I don't think so as they contain other things in the power / shakes.

I think it is just milk - hot or cold - some have milky coffees - that is OK. Sugar free Crusher to flavour is OK. But nothing with sugar in it.

I think I have read somewhere on here where someone was doing three slimfasts a day but I have only heard it once, recently.

Thank you Penguina.
Makes sense.
Lynne x

PS I will ask tonight re the slimfast because I think I remember reading on here that one person had done it that way.
Not many days left for me to be on any kind of pre op diet now lol.

Last edited:
No, not long, good luck with it all. It will be all worth it. I think going on slimfast before the pre op milk diet is a good idea as it gets your brain in the right mindset and is not such a great leap into the liquid only days. Trisha

No, not long, good luck with it all. It will be all worth it. I think going on slimfast before the pre op milk diet is a good idea as it gets your brain in the right mindset and is not such a great leap into the liquid only days. Trisha

i know i couldnt do that..slim fast for a week and then id go mad and binge ...couldnt stick to milk diet.... depends what u r like....if u r focused fair play but if u want a few last suppers then go for it before ur milk diet!

im so bad !!

Back