• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

More Dumping

I've been reading Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies and it says, on Page 258 that dumping only occurs in 30 - 40% of bypass patients and (on page 259) that it is only a lifelong problem in a small percentage of patients and that most patients see a decrease in the severity the symptoms over time. :confused::confused:

Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Also, I've been wondering about dumping and alcohol. I've read (somewhere) that sometimes, wls patients can develop an addiction to alcohol. How does this work out (no pun intended) with dumping syndrome? :confused::confused:

tesmaralda

I was a very sensitive dumper in the 1st few weeks post op but whilst away I had angel delight and even a couple of biscuits so I think the sensitivity does wear off but I am not willing to push the boundaries any further just through the fear of dumping.x

tpt

Uber geek
I don't drink so can't help you there - but a few weeks back I dumped on a pink mini-milk ice lolly buy yesterday I had 1/2 a choccy digestive - no probs at all! Either my sensitivity is wearing off or the lolly was a fluke!

iinklii

I dump all the time on nearly everything. I can lose whole days when I just eat dump sleep eat dump sleep. Still working out what causes and what doesn't, cos sometime they do and sometimes they don't.

So I for one do hope it goes away a bit.

phatgirl

Some people don't have dumping syndrome, I fear that I may be one of those people. I have not truly tested my theory but I have had some sugar and been okay. I am actually a little bit sad about that. However, I will not allow that fact to stop me from treating myself like I might dump and therefore avoiding most sugar. I have heard that it does fade over time as your body adjusts.

As for Alcohol, you do not have an increased chance of becoming an alcoholic because of your bypass. However if you have a strong emotional addiction to food pre-op that you don't work on you can develop what is called a transfer addiction where you replace your food addiction with addiction to alcohol, gambling or sex. I have had a few drinks and I have noticed an increased level of rapid intoxication with only a small amount of alcohol. It is wise to proceed with caution with post-op drinking, and by all means don't plan to have a drink and then drive because your body has changed so much.

Silversurfer

I dont dump and never have done, in fact i can and do eat anything i want (within reason) and i'm still dropping weight !

I have though recently experienced what i had thought was late stage dumping, the symptoms of which are shaking, sweats and blurry vision which accompanies a strong desire to eat sugary foods. But dispite my thoughts, my consultant and dietician between them determined that rather than dumping i was experiencing low blood sugar, and after detailing my dietry diary over a week they have determined that my actual calorie intake is somewhere between 1200 and 1600 calories a day. Given that i'm doing a high level of cardiovascular exercise its causing the low blood sugar issues.
So i've been ordered to have a sugary snack mid morning and something around 200 calories post exercise, which so far has seemed to work making me think they were right.

Personally i think i've reached the 'Holly Grail' of dieting, i can eat what i want, i dont dump or have any side effects of the surgery i've had, i'm one stone away from my goal weight and i'm still loosing weight now, plus i've now been ordered to eat more sugar lol :D

hopelesscase

sorry no help here. never experianced dumping but equally never had anything that i effect should cause dumping. Saying that i do think that i am sensitive to sugar as i have a real dislike of the smell of anything sweet so the thought of eating it just doesnt do it for me..