• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Operation Details

Peterborough Guy

Luton and Dunstable
Well, here is my operation details for anyone that would like to read it, I have also included some pictures so you can see me in the different stages of the operation.

So it all started on Tuesday 21st June 2011, when we arrived at Luton and Dunstable hospital at approx 3.30 pm.

We were told to go to the Waiting List reception, where we received further instructions to go along to the Arrivals Lounge and we would be directed from there to our ward, where they should have a bed available for me.

Once we booked into the Arrivals Lounge, I was taken in a room, and had my blood pressure taken, which was all fine and then was told that there wasn't a bed available for me yet. So we decided to nip downstairs and grab a coffee from the shop.

When we returned to the arrivals lounge they said there was a bed available on ward 21, but it wasn't ready yet, so we sat and waited, then we were told a change of plan and I would be going up to 22, but again the bed wasn't ready yet so would I like to sit in the comfy chairs in the day surgery unit until my bed was made available.

After another 90 minutes passed, we where then told another change of plan, I would be back on 21 and would be told when the bed was ready.

About another half an hour passed, and was told the bed was ready. Much to my delight I had got a side ward, which meant I could just relax and enjoy the moment, so I took to the chair and started on my word search, and then was offered a coffee, and that was my night basically, no obs were taken and no one came to see me all night.

The next thing I knew was being woke up at 06.00 for my blood pressure to be taken etc, and then given a gown to wear. It was only at this sort of time, it had dawned on me, that today was my big day, still very excited by this thought, and with no nerves setting in, I dived in the shower, and then put my gown on.

At about 07.30 I was collected to go and walk to the theatre. That was a bizarre feeling, walking up to the theatre, but upon arrival we were told to sit in the waiting area.

At this point I was seen by a few different people to go over the final details and was told I would be going into theatre before 09:00.

At 08:15, my name was called, and the weirdest feeling ever of walking to the theatre and being asked to take my dressing gown and slippers off and sit on the table, you guessed it, this is the table they would be doing my operation on.

My last look at the clock in the theatre was just before 08:30, and at this point I was told to hold the oxygen mask to my face, funny oxygen lol

Within a few seconds, I couldn't keep my eyes open, the room, just didn't seem to be there, and my last thing I remember is when someone said to me, let go of the mask Gary, and put your hand down by your side, that is all I remember from the theatre.

The next thing I remember is waking up in the recovery department, being told to keep my oxygen mask on, which I was naughty, I remember that I kept taking it off, and then my mouth was dry that I couldn't talk. I did ask for a drink but was told that I couldn't have one, but then was given a swab t wet my lips and mouth. When I could focus properly, I looked at the clock and it said 12.30.

They wanted to move me to HDU, but there wasn't a bed available so was stuck in recovery for ages, in fact two hours.

Eventually I was moved to HDU at 14:30 and they put me in a side room, all to myself again, this was great but with no TV or anything, I only had two blinds to look at all day. I have to say my nurse, Samantha was a star, and make me feel comfortable and made sure I have the morphine if I wanted to give myself any.

At this point, I felt very comfortable and didn't use the morphine. I felt so awake that I even text a few friends and my family to let them know I was OK.

About 18:00 Mr Jain, my surgeon popped in to see me, and said everything went extremely well and he was very pleased with the operation.

I stayed in that room all night looking forward to having a good nights sleep, however this wasn't meant to be, as they had a poorly patient in the room next to me, and was working on him most of the night with the lights on, not only that but my equipments alarms kept triggering, and then when I did drop off, the nurses woke me up to do the obs etc.

On the Thursday the surgeon saw me in the morning and said I would be moved to ward 22 when the bed was made available, I eventually got to the bed at 20:00, just in time to go to sleep, well that was unless I got woke up on the hour, every hour for my obs again.

Then Friday morning arrived, and Mr Jain came round at 08:00, and told me he was happy with me and would let me go home, so once again I showered, got dressed and got my wife to pick me up, and left the hospital about 13:00.

I would like to thank everyone at Luton and Dunstable for all there work and commitment to there job, but a special thanks must go to Mr Jain, Samatha my HDU nurse and also Susan, the sister on Ward 22.

Thank you for that Gary. I hope you have a speedy recovery x

very interesting post..thank you

Hope you a speedy recovery

Great insight Gary mate...Thanks for this,especially as i've decided that L&D is the place of my choice to be operated on.
Will certainly keep up with your posts for any info that i need.
Cheers
Andy

Great insight Gary mate...Thanks for this,especially as i've decided that L&D is the place of my choice to be operated on.
Will certainly keep up with your posts for any info that i need.
Cheers
Andy

Andy if you want my mob number, then just ask mate, and if theres anything you want to ask me, away from the forum, I will answer it as truthfully as I can, this goes for anyone as well.

Back