• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Need vegetarian protein ideas!

EmmaLouise81

So I have felt quite sick today and it is no wonder, what with being so busy cooking for everyone else this week I have let my eating slip. I am 6 months post gastric bypass and was told by dietician I was not eating enough a few months back. Got myself into a pattern and seemed to be fine...I did start tracking my calories on myFitnessPal and usually I ate 700kcal or there. Abouts . I did not track myself over Christmas but would be lucky to have ate 500kcal...not good and not healthy I know!

I do a little pilates, weights for my arms but on a scale I would say I am not very active at all.

As title suggest I am vegetarian, and just don't fancy much at the moment. Until this recent blip I might have had a couple boiled egg whites, or Quorn 'meat' snack as protein but can't think of anything new. If I have Quorn 'chicken' or 'mince' , what can I put on it? I think my fear of dumping is my problem too...just afraid I might eat the wrong thing.

If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate hearing them as I need to get back on track!

hun have you tried making a bolognaise sause with the mince, instead of spaghetti have a couple of chips of a potato? or make some mini shepherds pies x

Whilst I happily eat meat I use quorn quote often making the mince into chilli or bolognaise sauce often leaving the pasta or rice out you can stir fry the chicken bits using a little low fat spray or water to prevent sticking on the pan until you add the other ingredients. What about a quorn meatloaf type dish any recipie in your usual cool books will work just adapt to suit the low fat/ sugar guides we have & you'll be amazed at what you can eat freeze down portions as whatever you make it will do you twice as much. A normal single portion now makes at least two meals for me. I used 250g mince to make a bolognaise sauce on Wednesday now that should be about 2 portions I had 4 from it with a little cheese & no pasta followed by 100g of 0% fage Greek yoghurt with some fruit filled me up & I'm nearly 6mths post-op.

Hiya. Have you tried:
Cottage cheese ( excellent source of protein)
Cheese
Nuts, including butters like Peanut Butter. Whole Earths no added sugar one is lovely.
Fage 0% Greek Yoghurt
Double milk added to drinks, soups, mashed spud etc ( Skimmed milk with dried milk powder added-2 tbspn per half pint)
Dried soya
Quinoa- use instead of rice or couscous. It's supposed to be the prefect protein form. You can flavour it in the same ways as couscous
Lentils
Baked Beans
Mixed beans ( makes a great chilli and come in tins if you like a quick option)
Chick peas including Hummus-yum !

xx

Miss Tickle you are a star :) I have the same vegetarian protein problem, nothing much seems to appeal at the moment but when I read your post I felt inspired again.
Do you know who stocks the Fage yoghurt and the Whole Earth peanut butter?

I'm a pre-op veggie, so can't really comment on the dumping thing but have wondered how I'll manage being creative with protein when the time comes.
The Quorn range is really expansive now - so much choice it's mind boggling. I find Tesco seem to have the widest range.
I fall back on the 'slimming world quiche' quite often (Tub cottage cheese, beat an egg into it, add veg of choice and oven bake)

Have you thought about contacting/googling the vegetarian society? they have tonnes of meal ideas to entice carnivores over to our way of living - I'm sure there will be something there!

I guess if not really fancying food is the issue then the short term answer is protein drinks (all this double milk stuff is a revelation to me!)

You talk about a fear of dumping - has this happened to you? if it has, then steering clear of those items sounds good, but don't be scared to experiment as it seems everyone has really different experiences.

Miss Tickle - will you come and stay with me when I'm post op and in need of inspiration??? I've got a lovely spare room!

I get my Fage from Tescos but think most supermarkets sell it. I like it plain or sweetened with sugar free syrups from the sugarfreemegastore.
I think Tesco's do Whole Earth too, if not then I think I get it from Asda. It's very nice indeed and I have to ration myself lol
xx

I get my Fage from Tescos but think most supermarkets sell it. I like it plain or sweetened with sugar free syrups from the sugarfreemegastore.
I think Tesco's do Whole Earth too, if not then I think I get it from Asda. It's very nice indeed and I have to ration myself lol
xx

what is whole earth?

It is a brand of food (like Heinz or Birds eye) tend to do veggie/vegan stuff. Wholefood.

oh ok thanks xx

I'm a vegetarian too and the vegetarian society website is a god send! They have a recipe search tool on there and you can choose what kind of recipes you want ie. vegan, low fat, dairy free, wheat free. It then splits them down into starters, mains, dessert, side dishes etc. Check the low fat options out, there's some lovely recipes on there!

H xx

When I was following slimming world I made a FAB veg curry, all the usuals but no potato as I dont like it in soups or curry - it was things like:
corgette
squash
peppers
onion
I then added passata and enriched with quark and actually sweetened with splenda - it was bloody lush and on the 'free' list, served wth brown rice - mmmmmm it was yummy just wondering if you could do the same and blitz if necessary *Rayne :) ......
Oooo I dunno if quark is veggie tho guys xx

Oooo I dunno if quark is veggie tho guys xx

Yep it is as long as there's no rennet in it. The golden acre stuff you can buy at Asda is suitable for vegetarians :)

Hxx

Hi, no haven't dumped but have avoided sugary things incase I do...will definitely think about a protein shake as that might be the best idea for the time being.
I'm a pre-op veggie, so can't really comment on the dumping thing but have wondered how I'll manage being creative with protein when the time comes.
The Quorn range is really expansive now - so much choice it's mind boggling. I find Tesco seem to have the widest range.
I fall back on the 'slimming world quiche' quite often (Tub cottage cheese, beat an egg into it, add veg of choice and oven bake)

Have you thought about contacting/googling the vegetarian society? they have tonnes of meal ideas to entice carnivores over to our way of living - I'm sure there will be something there!

I guess if not really fancying food is the issue then the short term answer is protein drinks (all this double milk stuff is a revelation to me!)

You talk about a fear of dumping - has this happened to you? if it has, then steering clear of those items sounds good, but don't be scared to experiment as it seems everyone has really different experiences.

Miss Tickle - will you come and stay with me when I'm post op and in need of inspiration??? I've got a lovely spare room!

Thank you all so much, never looked up the vegetarian society before...great idea! Have made a note of all the foods and will get them next time I shop, you have all helped so much. Feel inspired now!

Back