• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Need advice...stall since starting new exercise regime

EmmaLouise81

Hi,

Thought I might get advice here as I have no clue what I should do.

I had a gastric bypass in June last year and up until January was doing a little exercise every so often. Now I don't want anyone to say I am not doing enough exercise now, I have health issues that limit what I can do. Unfortunately I will never be a gym bunny but I do what I can.

So at start of January I started using a rowing machine for 35-45 mins, followed by a 15-20min walk on treadmill and 15mins on a pilates machine. I get out of breath, break a sweat etc but since starting this my weight has not moved!!

My eating habits did not change and previously my surgeon and dietician have been happy with food intake so this exercise is all that is different.

Afraid to change up my food to much incase I eat the wrong thing...I know protein is important and being vegetarian I do have to push myself with it. Do I keep the same kcals going in but swap for more protein or what?

Hoping someone has had the same type of stall, thought I was doing well then weight staying the same for 3 and a bit weeks has burst my bubble a bit!

Are you drinking enough hun? It's so important to keep up with fluids...I copied this from a website..
There are many reasons why it is important to drink water, especially if you are dieting:

• Initial weight loss is largely due to loss of water, and you need to drink an adequate amount of water in order to avoid dehydration.
  • The process of burning calories requires an adequate supply of water in order to function efficiently; dehydration slows down the fat-burning process.
  • Burning calories creates toxins (think of the exhaust coming out of your car), and water plays a vital role in flushing them out of your body.
  • Dehydration causes a reduction in blood volume; a reduction in blood volume causes a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles; and a reduction in the supply of oxygen to your muscles can make you feel tired.
  • Water helps maintain muscle tone by assisting muscles in their ability to contract, and it lubricates your joints. Proper hydration can help reduce muscle and joint soreness when exercising.
  • A healthy (weight loss) diet includes a good amount of fiber. But while fiber is normally helpful to your digestive system, without adequate fluids it can cause constipation instead of helping to eliminate it.
  • Drinking water with a meal may make you feel full sooner and therefore satisfied eating less. Note, however, that drinking water alone may not have this effect. In order to feel satiated (not hungry), our bodies need bulk, calories and nutrients.
Hope this helps..good luck

Andy x

Most likely you have started building some muscle since increasing your exercise. You could be still losing fat, but building muscle at the same time.

Do not let this put you off -- muscle burns fat at a higher rate and much more efficiently than fat -- so the more muscle you have, the more efficient your whole mechanism and fat burning furnace will become.

Give it a few weeks on the new exercise regime and see if the weight starts to shift downwards again .... you may also notice changes in inches during this time.

You need to look at your calorific intake and ensure you are eating enough to promote weight loss. If your body needs 1500 calories to fuel it each day and you are eating 1000 you will lose around a pound of fat per week. If you exercise burning an additional 300 calories each day your body only has 700 to fuel it resulting in it going into starvation mode where weight loss ceases. So perversely if you are going to increase your exercise you need to increase your food intake.

Log your intake on one of the various websites and see how many calories you are eating against you minimum daily requirement. If you drop below 900 calories a day your weight loss will stop. Make sure you're getting plenty of protein and fluid down your neck and it will start up again worry not.

Really interested in the water post hun.
I'm a month out & my weight loss has been really slow (around 1lb a week!!). I'm worried I'm in starvation mode as I'm barely eating my sloppy foods and that I may be dehydrating myself.
Does anyone have any advice on how I can increase my intake?
Thank you!!
xx

I agree with Karlos. My first stall happened very early on (about 2 or 3 weeks post op) and coincided with me restarting my workouts with my trainer. However, as I was quite a low weight to begin with, (13.10 on op day) I couldn't expect a rapid loss. I didn't mind "only" losing a pound a week, what I minded was staying the same or even gaining a couple of pounds but the latter was pure dehydration..once I sorted that out I lost 2lbs in a single day!

After all, folks, what's the rush? I'm already in the 11s (by the skin of my teeth, ie point 2 of a pound) and I'm only 9 weeks post op as of tomorrow) so I've got plenty of time ahead to get to target.

You need to look at your calorific intake and ensure you are eating enough to promote weight loss. If your body needs 1500 calories to fuel it each day and you are eating 1000 you will lose around a pound of fat per week. If you exercise burning an additional 300 calories each day your body only has 700 to fuel it resulting in it going into starvation mode where weight loss ceases. So perversely if you are going to increase your exercise you need to increase your food intake.

Log your intake on one of the various websites and see how many calories you are eating against you minimum daily requirement. If you drop below 900 calories a day your weight loss will stop. Make sure you're getting plenty of protein and fluid down your neck and it will start up again worry not.

Oh Karlos you are so helpful! I did track my food for a while, before this exercise period and at least I ate 750 kcal and at most 950kcal. Going to use fitness pal to see what I am eating these days.

I panicked so much I started cutting down, guess after 25 years on emergency dieting I fell back into that trap. Time to stop moaning and log my food, up it if needed and get back to losing.

Appreciate you and everyone else giving me advice!

So today I have ate 992 calories and according to equipment, exercise calculator etc I burnt around 400 rowing, walking and doing pilates. I have drank lots of water but should I now eat more and if so how many?

Back