• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New Girl in Town

Evenstarr

Hi all, I've been lurking for about a week now and finally decided to bite the bullet and say 'hi'.
I'm 42 living in Barnsley, with my partner and youngest child.
I've had weight issues since I had my first child at 20 , I've tried Weight watchers, Slimming World and Scottish Slimmers as well as Atkins, Slim Fast and Celeb Slim. I've joined various gyms and bought numerous pieces of exercise equipment and nothing's worked, for every lb I've lost I've put 2 back on!
Anyway after a lot of thought and research I took up my GP's offer to refer me for bariatric surgery.
He referred me last Thursday (5th April) and now I'm already excited about the future with a new stream lined me!

Em xx

Hi Em,

Welcome to the forum! It seems to be only you and me burning the midnight oil logging on at "stupid o'clock" (past 1 am) !!!

If you go to the green menu bar (2 lines of it) on the top left is a section headed "User CP".

Within the "User CP" area you can select "Edit your details" and add a lot of useful info -- ie. your area, the hospital your GP has referred you to, type of bariatric surgery (if and when known), start weight and progress weight etc.

It can be useful to other forum members trying to answer your queries, especially if someone from the same area (PCT area or hospital area) as you might see your post and be able to advise more about timescales in that area.

As a newbie you will find that you cannot yet add much in the "Edit Signature" area, nor the "Edit Avatar" and "Edit Profile Picture" options .... you have to have either 20 posts on the forum, or 50 posts (can't remember which) to build up forum privileges.

Don't feel that you *have* to go mad posting everywhere, but you can take part in the "Word Association" games in the Chit Chat section if you like to help build up your number of posts !!

GOOD LUCK with your journey, your GP, your funding, and the surgery that you choose !!!

Welcome and enjoy the journey :D x

hey Em, welcome to the site, and good luck with yoyr journey, its a tough one, but thats what we are here for :) xxx

Thanks for such a warm welcome xx

Welcome fasten your seat belts cause it can be a long bumpy ride, but we are all here to cushion the fall and be a listening ear and a source of useful information (well most of the time). Good luck on your journey's hope its not along drawn out one like some of us have had. xx

Hi Em
Welcome to the family.

Have a good look around and ask any questions you want.
X

Welcome to the site....theres some newbies on here like yourself too...including me.

Its so helpful on here, you can ask anything you want without fear of feeling silly, and theres so much to read and get advice/ideas from....

Hi ! And a very warm welcome from Kent ! I have found this forum so helpful but most of all very entertaining ! I am on here every day , not always posting but reading and taking in all the tips and advice from the many members who make this the great site it is . I hope you get as much from this as I do x good luck and I look forward to reading your post x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Em, I'm in Bradford so not too far away. I'm due to have a gastric sleeve on 15 May. Welcome to the forum xxx

Hi & a very warm welcome, Em :) I am in Chapeltown, Sheffield so very close to you. Which hospital have you been referred to? If it is Sheffield like me you should have a very straight forward journey. (hopefully) :D:D Good luck, honey xxx

hi em wellcome to this forum, good luck with your journey and i look forward to reading how you get on.xxxxx

Hi Em and welcome. I am quite new too and at the start of my journey. This site is fab and there is always someone to answer any questions you have. Good luck :)

Hi Em, good luck on your journey, im like you started putting weight on when i was 20 after having first child, im 43 now and will be having my bypass soon hopefully.

Hi & a very warm welcome, Em :) I am in Chapeltown, Sheffield so very close to you. Which hospital have you been referred to? If it is Sheffield like me you should have a very straight forward journey. (hopefully) :D:D Good luck, honey xxx

Hi Twinkle, I'm in Barnsley but I've been referred to Mr Ackroyd at The Royal Hallamshire in Sheffield.
So I'm hoping after your encouraging words that it really is straightforward!
I'm stupidly excited about it, I think I'm driving all my family mad going on and on about it....but as one of my daughters pointed out it stops me from obsessing about Game of Thrones ( which is my pet obsession!).

The best thing I've found out about though since deciding WLS was the way to go is this site, it's full of the most encouraging and lovely people I've ever come across on the Internet :D

Hi Em, good luck on your journey, im like you started putting weight on when i was 20 after having first child, im 43 now and will be having my bypass soon hopefully.

I always describe my weight as post baby weight, and then explain my 'baby' is 22 now :8855:

Back