• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New Girl in Town

Hi Twinkle, I'm in Barnsley but I've been referred to Mr Ackroyd at The Royal Hallamshire in Sheffield.
So I'm hoping after your encouraging words that it really is straightforward!
I'm stupidly excited about it, I think I'm driving all my family mad going on and on about it....but as one of my daughters pointed out it stops me from obsessing about Game of Thrones ( which is my pet obsession!).

The best thing I've found out about though since deciding WLS was the way to go is this site, it's full of the most encouraging and lovely people I've ever come across on the Internet :D

Well it is a life altering experience so I guess getting excited can be understood. I certainly was :):) Just don't implode, lol :D
My experience was very straightforward. I asked my doctor about WLS in October 2010, had a letter from the Weight management team in November 2010, did 6 weeks with them & was told at the end of that, that they would refer me to the surgeon. Had my appointment with Mr Patel in June 2011 when he said he would accept me for a bypass, came away stunned but elated & then got a letter for my pre assessment to be on September 19th 2011. They told me it would be around 4mnths from then which I was very happy with :D but then I got a phone call the following Monday (26th) to say they had a cancellation for the following Monday (3/10) with Mr Ackroyd & did I want it :eek: if so to start the milk diet immediately. So that is how it happened for me. I went into The Thornbury Private Hospital on Sunday eve & was out Wed morning. I have had very few problems & feel very blessed. I hope you have things as good as I have :D Lots of people on here have had a hell of a time & still not even been funded at the end of it all. Funding was never at any stage by any one, even mentioned to me & I had no idea this was an issue until & joined the forum. So here I am 6 months down the line & 6 1/2 stone lighter :D:D Good luck, honey ... keep us up to date with your progress :):) xx

Hi all, I've been lurking for about a week now and finally decided to bite the bullet and say 'hi'.
I'm 42 living in Barnsley, with my partner and youngest child.
I've had weight issues since I had my first child at 20 , I've tried Weight watchers, Slimming World and Scottish Slimmers as well as Atkins, Slim Fast and Celeb Slim. I've joined various gyms and bought numerous pieces of exercise equipment and nothing's worked, for every lb I've lost I've put 2 back on!
Anyway after a lot of thought and research I took up my GP's offer to refer me for bariatric surgery.
He referred me last Thursday (5th April) and now I'm already excited about the future with a new stream lined me!

Em xx
Hey Evenstarr,
I'm new here also and I am in the early stages of my surgery. I was told last Friday that my Gastric band will be done within the next 18 weeks and I'm sooo excited about it! Nice to meet you and I hope that we can share our journey together :)

Wowee so soon for you Grace, is that from GP referral or have you had a long wait since then?
The time will fly by for you and before you know it you'll be post op and getting thin!
Lovely to meet you and I'm looking forward to sharing our journeys!
Em xxxx

Wowee so soon for you Grace, is that from GP referral or have you had a long wait since then?
The time will fly by for you and before you know it you'll be post op and getting thin!
Lovely to meet you and I'm looking forward to sharing our journeys!
Em xxxx

Oh hun, it's not been a fast process at all! It took me 4 years and 3 different Doctors to finally be referred! My current Doctor is an amazing man.
It's taken from Dec 2010 when I first got the go ahead for surgery until now to get a date, but 18 weeks isn't long to wait after waiting 4 years already! :D
Most of the wait was for hospital appointments. One was cancelled so then I had to wait a few months for the next.

I think the waiting time from start to finish where I live is about a year, my
GP is great, I'd never considered bariatric surgery until he suggested it, I thought unless you were one of these poor supersize people that TV companies seem to think make good viewing you'd have no chance of surgery on the NHS.
And I knew I'd never be able afford to go private , so I'd sort of accepted that I probably was going to be obese forever, so when my GP offered me a referral I jumped at the chance!
I don't mind if I've got a bit of a wait because it's going to be so worth it!

I think the waiting time from start to finish where I live is about a year, my
GP is great, I'd never considered bariatric surgery until he suggested it, I thought unless you were one of these poor supersize people that TV companies seem to think make good viewing you'd have no chance of surgery on the NHS.
And I knew I'd never be able afford to go private , so I'd sort of accepted that I probably was going to be obese forever, so when my GP offered me a referral I jumped at the chance!
I don't mind if I've got a bit of a wait because it's going to be so worth it!

In a way the waiting is good because you can research and join sites like this and watch videos on YouTube which I now do constantly! :eek:
It makes sense for the NHS to fund our surgery because in the long run it works out cheaper for them. Funding obese people for life who have multiple obese related illnesses such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, Heart issues... etc would cost a lot more. If the first Doctor I ever saw and asked to have WLS was as good as yours I would have had my surgery years ago, but I'm so very grateful it will happen this year and good things always come to those who wait!

18 weeks and counting then Grace!:D
I'm excited for you, and fingers crossed I'll be on my way by then.
Em xxx

Welcome to the site. This is a fab place that helped me so much on my long journey! Ask anything - no matter how small or silly as the likelihood is one of us has already experienced. Good luck on your journey xx

Back