• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie at the Whittington, North London

LisaG

Disappearing slowly
Hi all, I'm new to the site. Was looking for some more info from people who've had their ops at the Whit and came across the site. I'm under Sufi. Had my first appointment (with Heath) this week and have been referred for sleep study. Anyone else had this done? Wondering what goes on. Also wondering how long people have had to wait once on the waiting list - i've been told 8 weeks from then. Should go onto list on 2nd Nov so hoping it will be done in Jan. What do you guys reckon? Am I kidding myself?

Welcome to Mini's

There are lots of people who have had or are about to have their ops at the Whittington...They'll be along soon to advise you I'm sure.

Good luck

(((hugs)))

Hi Lisa and:welcome2: to minis. I'm sorry I can't help you as I don't know how it works at the Whittington. Loads of peeps here have had surgery there and I'm sure they'll be along soon to help you.Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Sadly I can't help you as haven't had my op yet. I will also be going to the Whittington tho!!! Good luck!! Hope someone comes along who is more help than I am!!

Welcome!!!

sorry I can't help you as haven't had my op yet. I will also be going to the Whittington tho!!! Good luck!!
Welcome!!!
there is some other posts on this site though from people that have already had there op at whittington so have a look
and good luck i cant wait till im at the stage ur at xxxx

Hi all, I'm new to the site. Was looking for some more info from people who've had their ops at the Whit and came across the site. I'm under Sufi. Had my first appointment (with Heath) this week and have been referred for sleep study. Anyone else had this done? Wondering what goes on. Also wondering how long people have had to wait once on the waiting list - i've been told 8 weeks from then. Should go onto list on 2nd Nov so hoping it will be done in Jan. What do you guys reckon? Am I kidding myself?

Hi there, not at your hospital, so not sure, had a sleep test via my sleep clinic at my local hospital, was given a box of tricks and shown how to set it up, basically it measured heart rate, breathing rate, contrations of my chest, o2 sats, how i was laying etc, painless!! I was diagnosed with 'mild' sleep apnoea, i stop breathing about 25 x per min (that's mild lol!!), i was give a cpap machine that forces air down your pipes keeping them open as you breathe in and out via a nasal mask (in most cases), the 1st night with the pump was a revelation, instead of waking up tired and irritable, i woke up feeling a million dollars, amazing bit of kit...anyways click the link below.....it'll explain sleep apnoea

Sleep apnea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hello Lisa and welcome,
I too am a Whittington patient, not as far as you yet, I have had my 1st apointment which was the education session and now waiting to have my 2nd appointment with Mr Sufi yep same consultant has you, he is meant to be really nice, lets hope so fingers crossed.
Best of luck xx

Hi Lisa

I had my op at the Whittington in April performed by Mr Sufi who is an absolute star - the best!

I had a battery of tests - blood, ecg, heart echo, sleep study conducted at home - they sent me home with a machine strapped to me (only small) it doesnt make for easy sleeping but they got the info they needed, there is also some sort of test involving an exercise bike but I didnt get that one as I was too heavy for it (thankfully). I went on the list on 5 Jan and had my op on 16 April. Mr Sufi is off for the whole of August so his list might be a bit backed up. If they said 8 weeks to you then I would count on about 12 which is still not long in the scheme of things. Good luck and dont forget to go to the support meetings.

yea me too hun ... i had my op 8th may by Mr Heath..

im aroun 12 weeks or so now and 7 stone lighter..

my life has been fine since i got back on my feet everything is still normal with me .. no dumping syndrome.. i eat as normal just far less.. totaly turned off sweets tho my taste changed loads with op ..

sleep study u can pick to stay in or have machine at home .. i brought mine home as it was quickest way of doing it with out a wait ..

they just attach u to a machine that reads ur heart and breathing .. u take it back next day and results in 3 days ...

my op too from oct 08 till may 09 .. not very long at all ..

good luck xx

Thank you for the infomation on times, I seem to remember being told quiet a bit less but I think they said if it was all straight forward and no test, but to be honest I will be happy to wait a while just as long as they say yes to me!
Yes my appointment to see Mr Sufi was middle of August they then sent me one for end of october:eek: I have now managed to get september 14th so not so bad; I have an holiday before then and some refills for my pump so time will go
quickly, Im just grateful to have the date.
Hugs xx

Hi again everyone,

Thanks for all the lovely replies. It's great to hear how everyone is doing - you are all inspirational and I can't wait till I get to where you are.

As things have progressed I've actually gone onto Mr Heath's caseload. On the pre-op list now so should be just a few weeks really...ahhh...very exciting!

I go to the group sessions too so hopefully will see (or have seen!) some of you guys there - cancelled yesterday wasn't it?

Diana, how far along are you now? Not far behind me I should imagine. How exciting!

Speak to you all soon.

L x

Hi again everyone,

Thanks for all the lovely replies. It's great to hear how everyone is doing - you are all inspirational and I can't wait till I get to where you are.

As things have progressed I've actually gone onto Mr Heath's caseload. On the pre-op list now so should be just a few weeks really...ahhh...very exciting!

I go to the group sessions too so hopefully will see (or have seen!) some of you guys there - cancelled yesterday wasn't it?

Diana, how far along are you now? Not far behind me I should imagine. How exciting!

Speak to you all soon.

L x

Hi Lisa i 2 am at the Whitt i am having my op on march 2nd, have u got a booked op date yet xx

Mr Heath's list is shorter than Sufi's anyway so you should be glad!!!

Hi Lisa, I'm another Whitt girl :D

Nice to see there's a few of us on here! We'll have to meet up at the support groups. Didn't know yesterday's had been cancelled though, just as well I didn't get the train down then lol

Hope to chat more, take care :) x

Hi Twiggie...looks like we'll all have to wear a common accessory at the next group meeting so we can identify each other! LOL. Quite a few of us on here.

L x

Hi Roch,

I haven't got my date yet. I'm hoping it will be Feb as Mr Heath still has space to fit me in. Should find out this week but will let you know.

How exciting that you've got your date? That's great. What type of liver shrinkage are you doing?

Hey,
Hope you manage to get your date this week!!! Good luck!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back