• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie in town

Mynewlife

Hello fellow banders,
had my lap band fitted 5 days ago today, and was wondering if any of you seasoned banders could give me a rough idea of 1) how long does it take for the swollen abdominal cavity to deflate and get a bit more comfy? 2) I have really bad travelling pains in my shoulders and neck still, and again was wondering how long it will roughly take for this to settle down?. Also does anyone have any advice as to how many calories I should roughly be on? I am still on liquids and don't start mashed food until August 1st (can't wait). Is it normal for your stomach to continually be noisy, like I have an alien in there or something. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated;).
mnl

Hi mnl - welcome to mini's :)

I would hardly call myself a seasoned bander - I am only a week ahead of you! But maybe I can help a bit...

I started to feel a lot more comfy after about 5-6 days... It sounds like you are mainly suffering with wind pain with the shoulder pains, the rumbling tummy and the swollen abdomen. Most of us on here have found Gripe Water to be a real help for that. You buy it in the baby section of supermarkets and a couple of teaspoons of that really helps you to release the wind. I found that mine settled after a week or so but I still have discomfort with wind after eating - and now I burp for England!!

As for calories - well it seems we are all told something different here so it's probably worth speaking to your nurse advisor if you have one. For what it's worth, I was put on a liquid diet (to include yoghurt & soup - anything that could be sucked through a straw) for two weeks and was told that I should aim for 1200 calories and approx 3 litres of fluid (inc soup etc) per day. I am only just now reaching anything near 1200 calories - I was mainly having about 700-800 per day.

Hang in there and expect to be feeling better really soon...

I'm sure the other banders will be on in the morning and have some more bright ideas for you!

Alice xxx

Hi mnl - welcome to minis. I am not that many days ahead of you either - I am 10 days post-op today but will try and help. The shoulder and neck pain will subside now quite quickly - I only found it bothered me for the first week. The bloated tummy lasts a bit longer - I still feel quite bloated at times now, even though I am back in my jeans but as Alice said, make Gripe Water your friend and it will really help.
I have been told not to worry about calories at this stage - healing is more important. Aside from tea, coffee, squash etc I am having no bits smoothies, fruit juice, soup with no bits and have over the last couple of days started on custard, yoghurt, egg custard and so on. At the moment I am only managing a yoghurt for breakfast, ramekin of egg custard for lunch and about 200mls soup for tea and that is enough. You will get used to the wind, and find that if you eat too quickly you may get shoulder pain then.
Hope this helps a bit, but any other questions just give us a shout and we will try to help. We are a friendly bunch and don't bite xx

Hello Welcome to Minimins !! I'm a bander had my op 18 days ago and i have no pain, no bloating, no shoulder tip pain, sleep fine, eat fine and everything i had before has gone. So give it time. it does take about 2 weeks for it to settle down. Use a Heat pad on your neck, really helps!! Calorie wise isn't a priority the first 6 weeks. Eat drink what u can in liquid form slimfasts , yoghurts, ice cream, lollies, custard etc and take your multivits. everything the girls said above is correct and were all here for you !!! Just rest, get lots of sleep and do not worry about "Dieting" its a new life , way of eating and just over 2 weeks on i feel totally back to normal...and you will be the same. Anything we can help with just ask were all in this together ....another bander is great too !! welcome to the club and keep in touch :) xxx

Hi MNL, welcome to Mini's! I'm a bypasser not a bander so can't help sorry but just wanted to say hello :)

Thanks ladies for all the advice and support, I am feeling better everyday, and now starting on a slow walking program. I was going to the gym about 4 times a week before the operation, so all being well I hope to be able to pick up that again, although slowly, by the time I go for my 6 week checkup. Take care and once again thanks for the advice, I'll be in Tesco tomorrow stocking up on the gripe water.
MNL

Back