• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

GP is referring me for a TT - Advice please

SacredSilence

Peter Facinelli & I
Hi all, I haven`t been on here for a few months when I posted with a query but I usually live on the WL side ;) Apologies if this is long, I tend to ramble LOL

I went to see my GP a couple of weeks ago as I have had an infected tummy button since August :/ I had tried treating it myself with Daktocort (sp?) which was recommended by the chemist but as soon as I stopped using it, The infection would flare up again.

Whilst there, I decided to bite the bullet and ask her about a refferal and she was lovely and agreed right away! :eek::D She got out her info sheets and afaik I meet all the criteria from when I last researched it (last yr). She said my BMI had to be under 30 and currently it is 27.1

I still have about a stone to lose to reach a "healthy weight" but she said "you`re fine" when I mentioned that I knew I still had weight to lose. So I`m not sure if that meant I`m fine because it isn`t a huge amount or if I`m fine that they have a leway of a stone extra? Hope I make sense!!

She also asked to look at my tummy - How humiliating!!! :cry: and she was lifting it up etc :cry:

I asked her if my tummy button infections could be due to my weight loss and resulting overhang and she said it could be. I have had problems in the past along my section scar - Same scenario, It flares up, I treat it, It dies down. Only to repeat the cycle again! I often don`t go to the Dr tho as I try and treat it myself. It is on record though that I have been about it.

Brief history, I have 4 children and have gone from roughly pushing 18st to my current weight of 11st 9lbs. I am still officially overweight, So would need to get to 10st 10lbs to be a "Healthy weight". I had major abdominal surgery (inc rupturing my bladder) whilst I was 16 weeks pregnant with my youngest for a ruptured appendix and cancerous tumour. I then had a section later to deliver my daughter. Obviously, With the pregnancies, Surgeries and major weight loss my tummy is totally FUBAR!! I also have an underactive Thyroid and PCOS

My Dr phoned me last week to discuss my Thyroid results as my levels have plummeted (I`m worried this may have caused me to gain weight! Though my clothes are still loose fitting) and whilst on the phone informed me to look out for a letter in the post to have photos taken for my referral. As I`m dumb :p I asked her how I went around this, Did I take photos and send them in? She laughed at me :p And said no, They have to be medical photographs and that I will be sent an appt to attend my local hospital to have them taken.

So, FINALLY getting round to asking for advice -

Can anyone please tell me what happens next? At this appt do I just see a photographer? Or is it with my potential surgeon? Do I have to strip naked :eek::cry: or do I get to keep my underwear on for photos (Stupid Q I know, But I NEED to know!). Also, Will they weigh and measure me again at this appt? I`m so worried that I may have gained a bit of weight due to my Thyroid levels being so low :( Though I am back on a higher dose now, so this should help.

I have heard some ppl mention psychological tests, Will I have to do one of those?? I think my referral is mainly for medical reasons - Infections etc.

Also, I forgot to ask my Dr whilst on the phone, But should I try and lose this stone before I go to the appt? On the one hand, I`m worried they`ll say no because I`m still a stone away from a healthy weight. But on the other hand I`m worried that if I do lose the weight, They might say no because I am not maintaining! (I do usually maintain but could lose some more weight if I tried. I just gave up as most of my weight now IS my tummy).

Also, If anyone please has any experience of applying for funding from Surrey PCT, Can you please advise me how difficult it was? I have recently got in touch with someone I went to school with on Facebook and it turns out she is soon going for a gastric bypass on the nhs and it turns out that she is actually at the same Drs practise as me. I don`t know whether this is a good sign or if I`m looking into it too much? I also live in what is considered to be a "well off" area, So presume most ppl would pay themselves for this type of surgery BUT Surrey does cover a huge area so it could work the other way?

(I`m NOT rich enough to go privately incidentally!)

Sorry for rambling, I hope my post makes sense!! ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially if you have been through the process under my PCT.

Thanks, Wishing everyone a great week!

LiSe Xxx

hi lise, first of all, must say you look fab, your hard work has certainly paid off hun. i cant help you with much, but ill have a go with some of your queries.
i dont think you will have to totally strip off, i reckon they will let you keep your underwear on, cos they want to see how much your tummy overhangs, so will probably pull your knickers underneath your tummy.
they should have a record about your thyroid from your gps letter, but i would mention it anyway.
like you say, probably most of the weight you have to lose is probably your stomach, but it wont hurt you to try and lose a bit, just in case you have put a bit on cos of your thyroid, at the very least youll maintain.
dont know about psychological tests, but i would imagine it wont be that scary, to be honest, i personally dont know why they would want them, cos this op is gonna make you feel so much better, and is gonna drastically improve your health, eg, infections. but you never know, maybe your gp can help you with this.
i hope ive been able help you a little, other ppl will be along soon, and may well offer different advice, but im sure between us all we can help you with most of your questions.
all the best with it, and i hope you get sorted out soon.
again well done n congrats, big hugs xxx

Hi there

Ive recently been referred to, and I actually have my first consultation today. I was referred for the same reasons as you, massive weight loss, overhanging skin, infected tummy button and c-section scar. It looks so ugly and its visible through my clothes... yuk.

I'm also hoping for boob reduction but trying not to get my hopes up about that as I cant see the NHS paying for both procedures.

Cant answer any of your questions at this stage Im afraid as I'm too early in the process, but if I find out more today I'll be sure to let you know.

I can only tell you what happened to me but it may help. I had to get funding first before going to see my PS.

Can anyone please tell me what happens next? At this appt do I just see a photographer? Or is it with my potential surgeon? Do I have to strip naked :eek::cry: or do I get to keep my underwear on for photos (Stupid Q I know, But I NEED to know!). Also, Will they weigh and measure me again at this appt? I`m so worried that I may have gained a bit of weight due to my Thyroid levels being so low :( Though I am back on a higher dose now, so this should help.

I have heard some ppl mention psychological tests, Will I have to do one of those?? I think my referral is mainly for medical reasons - Infections etc.

Also, I forgot to ask my Dr whilst on the phone, But should I try and lose this stone before I go to the appt? On the one hand, I`m worried they`ll say no because I`m still a stone away from a healthy weight. But on the other hand I`m worried that if I do lose the weight, They might say no because I am not maintaining! (I do usually maintain but could lose some more weight if I tried. I just gave up as most of my weight now IS my tummy).

I had my photos taken at my pre op and yes you keep on your underware, you have to put your tummy over your knickers though lol :eek:

My pre op nurse asked about my weight but wasnt bothered really what I weighed. When i saw the PS he also asked and noted it down but actually he wasn't bothered either. As long as you are under the BMI guidelines I wouldn't stress about it too much.

I didnt have to have any psycholocial test my Doctor noted everything down for my PCT. Although I do know of someone in a different part of the country waiting for this test. Give your surgery a ring they will be able to tell you.

Well done in getting this far, I have my fingers crossed for you.:)

Sorry I dont know any answers but would also like to say you do look amazing.:)

Thankyou all so much for the lovely comments and helpful advice x

Sorry it`s taken me so long to reply!

Sambucca, I hope your appt went well. I will go take a look now to see how you got on :D

Hope everyone is having a great week Xxxx

Back