• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie needing advice

toastedcrumpet

Hi my name is Amanda and I have been following a strict diet 1200 calories since October at addenbrookes hospital. So far I have lost 22.8 kg. my BMI is currently 40. I now have to make the decision about surgery. The doctor I saw today for my last appointment said they could refer me for the surgery. I am a bit apprehensive though as both my daughters are against the op, hubby thinks as I have lost the weight so far I should carry on that way. I know it is my future and don't get me wrong they will all support me if this is the route I take.

I have been researching the types of surgery and think a bypass would suit me better as I have a VERY sweet tooth. Do you get to choose? I know I have lost weight so far but my will power is starting to leave me and now I don't have a fortnightly weigh ins to keep me on the track I am worried. Sorry this post is so long winded but I really need help.

I just wanted to say hi and welcome, I don't know if you get to choose as I self funded, I can understand your hubby being wary of the op, but if you could have lost the weight and keep it off you would have done it by now, do whats right for you in the long term :)

My decision for surgery was based on this:I can lose the same weight but I can't maintain that loss over time. So I'm now in my 50s, if I lose weight again and put it on again I will be an obese old lady with all the associated health issues, lack of mobility etc. I decided I had no time to give it "one last go", so went for the surgery. I had mixed reactions from family, but it was my choice for me. As for what procedure, you need to discuss what's best with the medics, but read around the subject, ask questions, come on here and read all posts:) I learnt the most by doing that...

Hi Amanda
Well done for doing so well on your strict diet. Has the encouragement to do the diet been that you can then have surgery? Do you think you could continue with the diet? How do you think you would maintain once at target?

Of course your family have opinions but it should be your decision and they will support you - if think surgery will help you with willpower/control you should read up on it - NICE guidelines, nhs choices and anything else you can get your hands on!!

Back