• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

ninewells dundee?`

kanky

So I'm new to here and not 100% sure how this works but today i had my meeting with the dietician to see if i had reached my goal of 10% and I DID :D

In October I had my meeting with my surgeon Mr Patel at Ninewells and he said that if the dietician was happy with my weight loss then the next meeting i had with him would be with the whole team to decide what surgery i would get and to set a date. ;)

So after my meeting today all i have to do is wait for my letter to come through for that meeting, oh and keep the weight off! :rolleyes: i really hope it doesn't take too long!!

Mr Patel said to me in October that once the dietician was happy that the next step would move very quickly and i hope he's right! The dietician is emailing him today/tomorrow so i should get an appointment through some time in the next 2 weeks :D fingers crossed!

What I'm wondering is, is has anyone had their procedure done in Ninewells? Or heard of anyone who has?

feel free to email me on [email protected]

Hi Kanky!

Congratulations! I live in Dundee and had a bypass in Feb this year, although privately. Can't say I know much about the processes at Ninewells but I have a friend who is in the very early stages of having it funded by the NHS.

There's a massive amount of support and information on this site, everyone is so great! Feel free to message me if you want a buddy to support you throughout your journey.

The journey, pre-op and post-op definitely isn't easy. I've been extremely fortunate not to have any major complications but the hardest things based on my experience are the mental/emotional issues to overcome, definitely helps to have people to talk to who have been there. It hits you hard going from eating anything you like (and any portions size) to virtually a tiny amount of food and physically unable to eat certain foods. Not being able to eat certain things just makes you want it even more so you'll have those psychological issues to contend with.

My portion sizes were so little, I could have fit my meal in the palm of my hand.. but 10 months later, I can tolerate bigger portions now but no where near as big as before. I don't cope well with any meat now so I'm pretty much vegetarian. Things like vomiting is very difficult now (it is for me anyway) due to considerably less muscles in your pouch - seems trivial but when a piece of food gets 'stuck' and causes you pain and discomfort, you'll be wanting that piece of food out of your pouch pretty quickly for relief.

The dreaded excess skin! Everyone will tell you that their excess skin is unsightly but they'll also tell you that they'd rather have excess skin than be their former, overweight and unhealthy selfs so it's a good and tolerable compromise.

My stats at the left of this post is out of date but I was 21 stone pre-op and I'm currently 11 stone now. I'm considered 'healthy' on the BMI chart. I'm more than happy at my current weight but ultimately, I want to get to 10 stone which would still leave me within the 'healthy' range.

Last edited:
So I'm new to here and not 100% sure how this works but today i had my meeting with the dietician to see if i had reached my goal of 10% and I DID :D In October I had my meeting with my surgeon Mr Patel at Ninewells and he said that if the dietician was happy with my weight loss then the next meeting i had with him would be with the whole team to decide what surgery i would get and to set a date. ;) So after my meeting today all i have to do is wait for my letter to come through for that meeting, oh and keep the weight off! :rolleyes: i really hope it doesn't take too long!! Mr Patel said to me in October that once the dietician was happy that the next step would move very quickly and i hope he's right! The dietician is emailing him today/tomorrow so i should get an appointment through some time in the next 2 weeks :D fingers crossed! What I'm wondering is, is has anyone had their procedure done in Ninewells? Or heard of anyone who has? feel free to email me on [email protected] thanks :) :p
hi there just wondered if you can give me some info on your process and what you had to do and things that would be great here's me email feel free to email me [email protected]

Back