• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not WLS related.. Just need a bit of advice >>>>

claire-anna

Im having a bit of a bad time of it of late.. And feeling very anxious and annoyed..

Last Monday I stupidly left the keys to my new BMW on the windowsill of my house after having a brief discussion with my neighbour .. (I live in a mid terrace house and my car is parked directly outside)

In the morning I panicked and couldn't find my keys anywhere, so I instantly remembers what I done and arranged my car to go to BMW to block the old key and get a new key... However the old key would still be able to used to access the car, but the car would not start and alarms would go off..

I used my spare set of keys and when driving off the display showed the boot open.. So I went in the boot and noticed my old number plates had been stolen. At this point I thought I best report the whole incident to the police just Incase the plates are used in a crime.

On Thursday I had my car back from BMW. It was 11pm I was just going to bed, I heard a door slam and alarms go off.. I quickly run downstairs. A man walking up the street gave me a description of the 2 people who had attempted to steal the car...

I'm not from the area where I live and don't know many people. I must admit its not the nicest of places and there is a lot of druggies up here that don't work and make a living off stealing from innocent people. My neighbour however has lived up here all her life and knows most people. I asked her to put a note on her Facebook saying £50 reward for the stolen keys... I just wanted the useless fob back, so that I don't have to worry about kids setting my alarm off every now and again.

On Friday night I had a knock on the door from 2 guys that apparently found my keys.. They looked very much like the people that was running away after the failed theft attempt the previous night. I didn't have the £50 on me for the reward so I gave them £10 and told them to come back (I took the key from them)

My neighbour had an incline of who it could be, she knew the guy walking up the street and asked him for descriptions.. She showed me a face on Facebook.. I knew it was that person.. So I informed the police...

Now that person is messaging my neighbour on Facebook going mad asking why I got the police involved, saying that I should be thankfully he didn't steal the car etc... My neighbour doesn't want to get involved.. That guy is demanding I give him the rest of the reward and intends on coming up this evening...

What shall I do? I'm worried I will be victimised, my car damaged, wheels slashed etc.. I don't know wether to give the thief the money but to. ME it feel like I'm rewarding him for a crime he committed..

The police understand, they know what the area is like... If I make a statement then I have to drag my neighbour into things if it goes to court. I asked the police for their advise about the reward.. And the only advice he could give is that I need to do what I thought was best... :(

I haven't slept since Thursday.. And worrying all day today... Any advice would be greatly appreciated ...xx

Don't succumb to blackmail. Tell your neighbour she will have to be prepared to testify. Stand firm. Personally if I had a BMW in a shady neighbourhood I'd arrange for it to be garaged somewhere so it wasn't standing outside my house asking to be nicked or vandalised. It's your second most valuable possession unless you are renting your house, in which case it's your first. So look after it and don't let it be vulnerable. Leaving your keys on the windowsill wasn't your finest moment, but move on from there and work out the best way to protect yourself and your car in future. If it gets too rough maybe moving is an option?

Yes, a right pickle.

Seems very strange that the first time the keys went missing all that was taking was "old" number plates that you kept in the boot - I would have thought the boot and the rest of the car would have gone at that point.

Are you sure about the man who gave you the description of the other two - the internet is full of urban legends of how the culprit frames others - just because they have the neck to do it. Perhaps this guy has a grudge against those two?

I'd end up paying up the reward - it's what I offered - and be thankful that the car isn't keyed later.

I agree a bit of a pickle sorry to say your neighbour should not have got involved if she was not prepared to go all the way court if necessary kind of a hard pill to swallow if you pay the reward who is to say they wont come back again anyway and also agree garage the car if the area that bad I for one would sure be moving out

Ruthiep said:
Don't succumb to blackmail. Tell your neighbour she will have to be prepared to testify. Stand firm. Personally if I had a BMW in a shady neighbourhood I'd arrange for it to be garaged somewhere so it wasn't standing outside my house asking to be nicked or vandalised. It's your second most valuable possession unless you are renting your house, in which case it's your first. So look after it and don't let it be vulnerable. Leaving your keys on the windowsill wasn't your finest moment, but move on from there and work out the best way to protect yourself and your car in future. If it gets too rough maybe moving is an option?

Yes agree. Very stupid of me with they keys... I may look into renting a garage.. Thanks good idea..
I already am looking at buying else where.. It's a shame I bought my little home cheap and it's now like a little showhouse.. But I am thinking of the future and my well being and living here make me feel ill at the moment. :(

I suppose it is a kind of blackmail. I didn't quite see it like that..

Muttley1900 said:
Yes, a right pickle.

Seems very strange that the first time the keys went missing all that was taking was "old" number plates that you kept in the boot - I would have thought the boot and the rest of the car would have gone at that point.

Are you sure about the man who gave you the description of the other two - the internet is full of urban legends of how the culprit frames others - just because they have the neck to do it. Perhaps this guy has a grudge against those two?

I'd end up paying up the reward - it's what I offered - and be thankful that the car isn't keyed later.

Yes.. They had the opportunity there and then to take the car! My only thought on that is it is slightly unusual to start, it's a key fob and a push button that you have to put your foot on the break to start.. Maybe they did try but got flustered.. I'm very lucky in that respect. I only bought the car 3 weeks ago and I have had my private plates added.. So the original plates were in the boot..

Well the man lives 4 doors up from me.. I don't know him personally but then perhaps im nieve to what goes on up here.. I kept myself to myself for 2 years and only now I have seen the other side of the area.. Albeit its my fault for being careless with my keys..

Thanks for your advice.

tartanlady said:
I agree a bit of a pickle sorry to say your neighbour should not have got involved if she was not prepared to go all the way court if necessary kind of a hard pill to swallow if you pay the reward who is to say they wont come back again anyway and also agree garage the car if the area that bad I for one would sure be moving out

I think she would if the push came to the shove... I just feel bad for putting her in this situation.. Me and my careless self!!
I think gargling is an excellent idea and I am looking into this now...
The area in not the worst, I live in the nicer part of the village, but there is some rather dodgy council flats (nothing against council homes, but these are known rough) just above me... I am looking to move...

Exactly if I pay it, they could still get pissed off as I've called the police so it's a sticky situation..

Thanks for your advice..

It's been going over and over in my mind.. Just needed to get it off my chest, where I know people will be frank

I am looking to move...

Exactly if I pay it, they could still get pissed off as I've called the police so it's a sticky situation..

Yea, there is no easy answer to this as I'm sure the police will not be interested unless the car was stollen and then not for very long.

BUT, the main point is that you are safe - cars can be replaced / repaired and walking back from some lock-up garage with the darker evenings approaching yet again, does not appeal.

Yep, get out of there.

Last edited:
Muttley1900 said:
Yea, there is no easy answer to this as I'm sure the police will not be interested unless the car was stollen and then not for very long.

BUT, the main point is that you are safe - cars can be replaced / repaired and walking back from some lock-up garage with the darker evenings approaching yet again, does not appeal.

Yep, get out of there.

Thanks I agree with everything.. Just have to wait now and see if he turns up.. Ive been rehearsing over and over again what I'm going to say.. I'm quite a tough person, run pubs for 10 years so I have got a fiery side.. But to be honest I'm crapping myself.. :(

Maybe you should record the conversation in case he threatens you? Just a thought if you need to take it further. Hope things go ok.

cafh said:
Maybe you should record the conversation in case he threatens you? Just a thought if you need to take it further. Hope things go ok.

Yes.. Another good idea thanks :)

Phone the police, tell them that he's blackmailing you. Arrange for him to come round and have the police there waiting to arrest him.

Paula Lewis said:
Phone the police, tell them that he's blackmailing you. Arrange for him to come round and have the police there waiting to arrest him.

I'm going to wait and actually record what he says.. He hasn't physically blackmailed me as such.. Only via neighbours Facebook.. So if he acts out of sorts then I will be straight to the police. Apparently he is well known .. I just want it over and done with...

Part of me think I should just give him the rest of the reward and hope I never see him again..

Don't give him the reward. He'll know your an easy touch and carry on blackmailing you. Why put yourself in a dangerous situation by having him in your home and recording him? What are yu going to do if he catches you? At least phone the police for some advice and think of your personal safety xx

Paula Lewis said:
Don't give him the reward. He'll know your an easy touch and carry on blackmailing you. Why put yourself in a dangerous situation by having him in your home and recording him? What are yu going to do if he catches you? At least phone the police for some advice and think of your personal safety xx

Thanks Paula... I'm going to have an early night and ignore any knock.. I have an old friend that has said he will stay with me for the week and he is coming down tomorrow.. I would never allow him into my house..I have a rottie also, and she can be quite intimidating at times.. I will go down the station tomorrow again... I can't spend another day petrified in my own home :( X

Ohh unrelated really, I just noticed your from Crumlin. I'm from Neath originally, but moved to nottingham 3 years ago. Nice to know another welshie xx

Paula Lewis said:
Ohh unrelated really, I just noticed your from Crumlin. I'm from Neath originally, but moved to nottingham 3 years ago. Nice to know another welshie xx

Yay... Well I do love Wales just not this village lol :) I hope you still support us in the rugby x

Just read this post & am really worried for you, honey :( Is there no one to stay with you tonight? Or could you go to stay with someone else? I would not pay him but you are the one who has to live there :sigh: Good Luck, sweetie xxx :wave_cry:

TwinkleTwinkle said:
Just read this post & am really worried for you, honey :( Is there no one to stay with you tonight? Or could you go to stay with someone else? I would not pay him but you are the one who has to live there :sigh: Good Luck, sweetie xxx :wave_cry:

I think everything is going to be ok... Word has got about what this guy has done to me, and I'm shocked that someone has actually stuck up for me and warned him away.. This somebody is a person I would not associate myself with but he is a good friend of my neighbours and apparently is very "influential" in the village.. he has paid the thief a little visit to warn him off.... I'm not into bully tactics.. But if someone had fought my corner I feel a little happier.. My neighbour has assured me she will support me and told me that I'm not to give them any money and also the man has given me his number just Incase the thief does try it on.. The thief is only 17 too.. Terrible...

I feel a little better and not so alone now.. A good friend is coming to stay for a few days tomorrow.. And the police have been in touch and will be coming to see me tomorrow.

My car is only an object.. However a valuable object!! If he does try anything to damage the car, he's just setting himself up for trouble..

I'm relieved now.. And hopefully tomorrow I will not be so anxious and may leave the house..
In the mean time the hunt is on for a new property and I have an estate agent coming to value the house on Thursday... Think is time for a move.... I only bought this 2 years ago.. :(

Xxx night

Back