• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

now my next question is this

julia in bath

what can i realisically expect my wl to be?

ideal weight for me according to medical charts is 11 st 5. at my lightest adult weight I was 11 st 13 after crazy dieting 15 years ago. having had 4 kids i have a loose apron even now. and as you can see from my pic ginormous boobs that dont shrink when loosing weight, in fact theses babies are what grew back after a breast reduction in '95.
so will i be able to acheive 12 stone? i am prepared for a tt if i need it (sure I will) and can get it funded.

I'm sure it's possible as long as you follow all the advice from your bariatric team - anything is possible x

The conservative estimate for bypass weight loss is to shed 70% of excess weight within the first 2 years. For you that would put you at 13 stone 8lbs. So what you are asking is if that additional stone & a half is reasonable to expect to lose. Yes, it is probably reasonable to say that you can lose that weight if you are determined and do all the things to help yourself like changing your lifestyle by eating healthy and getting exercise.

From personal experience, I weighed more than you when I started and we are the same height. I now at 7 months post-op weigh 12s10lbs. I eat healthy, avoid simple carbs & get a moderate amount of exercise. I believe that I will reach my own goal of 100% excess weight loss by my surgiversary in October. But that is me and you really can't compare success rates as every body reacts differently.

Hoping all the best for you hun,
Nic:rolleyes:

thanks very much for your really helpful response pg, i'm probably going to be banded tho so probably a slight difference.

Doh!:d'oh::d'oh::d'oh: I totally missed that you were getting a band! Ah well, anyway, if you work it like super bandsters Caz & Liz I am sure you will reach the goal weight you want.

Nic:p

band id say 65% of your excess weight is achievable max but u have to work hard and show total 100% dedication on a long term basis, no days off for a treat ect, i do now but its very rare and i allow for the calorie intake to have that treat. im now in the overweight catogary bmi, but dont ever think id make it to the normal range.

hmmm, thats interesting liz thanks. i really do want to get to that 12 stone and am actually looking forward to starting an excercise regime, really using this to turn my life around. I dont think a bypass would be right for me as i am a volume eater and dont really have a sweet tooth. But if I want to hit my target would a bypass be the better option for me?

Julia

Im sure you will achieve your target, you definatly have the right attitude and the exercise will really help speed up your losses!

Maz x

There are pros and cons to them both, you have to consider them both carefully. It can't be only about how much weight you want to lose, it has to be how you want to 'live' post-op. Banders & Bypassers have different lifestyles due to the nature of each surgery so give it some serious thought. I don't want
to try to sell you on the option I took because my 'happily-ever-after' could be your nightmare!

Best of luck,
Nic;)

hmmm, thats interesting liz thanks. i really do want to get to that 12 stone and am actually looking forward to starting an excercise regime, really using this to turn my life around. I dont think a bypass would be right for me as i am a volume eater and dont really have a sweet tooth. But if I want to hit my target would a bypass be the better option for me?

if your a volume eater with out the sweet tooth the band will be perfect for you, when i quoted 65% thats just a general guideline, anything is achieveable if you want it enough, with the right attitude and hard work and plenty of exercise when you feel up to it im sure you can achieve it. my personal healthy weight would be 11st but its an unrealistic target for me personally and i would be pushing myself to the limit to try and achieve that, im happy being in the overweight bmi catogary. thats just my personal experience and some banders have made it to the healthy bmi, but its very hard going, thats why they quote the percentages thats generally lost with banders.

Last edited:
thanks both very much. I know I have to go for whats right for me in long term healthy terms. I just really want to be able to reach my goal weight and wonder if that would even be possible wit a band. but i think you have answered my questions.

julia if you can show long term commitment and dedication with lots of will power then the band can work for you, the only person that can answer them questions is you, i chose the band as my eating habbits were similar to yours, we all have different reasons for wanting wls, and mine were to be as healthy as i could and so i could be a better mum to my son. i set myself a realistic target to get to and i have nearly achieved that personal target set. Good luck with your decision of which op is best for your personal needs x

thanks again Liz, yes i really want to get myself fit and healthy. as you know i have 4 young kids and i need to loose the weight for them. i came to the conclusion i was slowly commiting suicide with food. and thats not what i want. i want more energy and the ability to get off my butt and play with my kids. so i am prepared to work my ass off and use my wls as a tool, not expect it to do it all for me.
xxx

That sounds like a really healthy attitude hun. I am convinced that a good attitude goes a long way to making people successful post-op. I love my bypass, it is like a wonderful gift that keeps giving. I also love my new healthier lifestyle and it is down to picking the right wls for me. I think you will know when you have made the right choice because it will feel right. :)

Back