• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Oh No...Here we go!!!! Help!!

Hi ladies (And gents?)

I am post op by 11 days today (Band) but all i have wanted to do this weekend is eat!! Real food!!!
I ate Mashed potato last night (2 tspsns) I bit into my sons toast this morning. Admittedly i chewed the toast and spat it out (sorry...hope your not eating your breakfast!) but i am really worrying now.

I have waited so long for this op and now all i want to do is eat!

Dont really know what anyone can do, but i just needed to get it of my chest! Think i am a bit bored of the liquid only stuff!
Has anyone else eaten stuff before they should or am i the only let down.

:-(
thanks for listening
x

hi, i dont know how long your surgeon wants you on liquids but by this stage banders are usually ready for something more solid to satify and this is why your hungry, the swelling will have gone down and the desire to eat has returned which is part of the normal process, maybe try a soft meal consisting of mash with very soft veg and plenty of gravy, just try a little portion and see how you feel. remember to take it slowly as hunger can make us rush a meal, go slowly and you should be fine x

at the risk of getting shouted at i did do the same as you, i had to bite into something, but i also spat it out! i think it is it has been so long since you have actually used your teeth for something!! liz has given you the best advice ( as always!) i was supposed to wait a month before i went onto sloppy/mashed food but did so a week early (oops) but made sure it was sloppy as possible and only had very small amounts. x

My surgeon has a very different routine to a lot of them.

His regime is, days 1-3 liquids only, days 4-7 very soft foods and then from day 7 go back to normal foods but take it very slowly and carefully.

He does this as he knows the desire to eat comes back within a week to two weeks after the operation and to get back to a normal a life as possible.

I followed this and I was fine.

BUT and this is a big BUT, you should follow your own surgeons advice to the letter.

A call to your team to explain how you feel might progress you through the stages quicker though.

Thanks Ladies... (Liz u r a star!!! - i think we all think that on here! I am begining to think if you dont have the answers then they aren't worth knowing!)
They want me to do 4 weeks on liquid and then 2 weeks on mushy!
I have felt really positive up until this weekend. It may be emotional/comfort eating kicking in (mum dying of terminal cancer) but i really just think it is the fact that i am hungry and bored of liquids!

Thanks again Liz & halfme and for your honesty...i don't feel so alone now 1/2 me!
xxxxxx

Hi Scrunchie

I was supposed to do 2 weeks on liquids but like you became really bored and so moved onto sloppies approx 4 days early. I found that cauliflour cheese with lost of sauce mashed up very well and was so tasty, also home made soups.
I moved onto normal food earlier too, but still made sure there was plenty sauce/gravy. A nice meal was baked salmon fillet with hollandaise sauce.

it probably is better to check with your aftercare team, but as mine is THG...I'm still chasing my dietician appointment (I should have had 2 by now :rolleyes:) so have more or less just listened to my body and checked in at Minis most days for experienced banders information.

Hurrah for all you seasoned banders....your advice is priceless :thankyouthankyou:

Thanks Red.....
I thought i was a let down!!! Al the girls (and boys) on here desperate to get the op and i feel like im moaning :-(
Just didn't expect this i don't think. I should really be on the liquids for another 2.5 weeks?????? Oh god :-( just the thought of it.
I'll try to stick at it for another week and give them a call to see if i can 'go mushy'.
xxxx

cant add any further to what others have said but wanted to add im 10months post op and have been known even now to sneak a bite of sandwich and spit it out lol just that fresh bread smell that does it!

Hehe I did that with rosie's left over toast fingers this morning too, bit into it chewed it and spat it.What are we all like lol! xxx

Thanks Ladies... (Liz u r a star!!! - i think we all think that on here! I am begining to think if you dont have the answers then they aren't worth knowing!)
/QUOTE]

wooooo 4 weeks on liquids you have a harsh surgeon ! personally i think thats to long, but im not qualified so my opinion doesnt count for any thing, follow what they tell ya but these strict surgeons run on the fear factor of scaring ppl from going to the next stage x

/QUOTE]

wooooo 4 weeks on liquids you have a harsh surgeon ! personally i think thats to long, but im not qualified so my opinion doesnt count for any thing, follow what they tell ya but these strict surgeons run on the fear factor of scaring ppl from going to the next stage x

liz you are right i was so scared at first to try anything other than clear soups as i had the fear put into me that if i ate something i shouldnt i would explode (well not literally but you get what i mean!) but i was ready by week 3 to have mushy's and i even discussed this with the dietician on my first post op visit (6 weeks post op) with her where she said my hospital we looking into re-doing the post-op advice to eating mushies when you feel ready and slowly introducing after 2 weeks rather than 4 weeks.
but i will admit to putting things in my mouth before i should have done and biting into them then spitting out :eek: just to get that sinking teeth into something feeling!!! (not that i am advising this!)

[QUOTE/]

wooooo 4 weeks on liquids you have a harsh surgeon ! personally i think thats to long, but im not qualified so my opinion doesnt count for any thing, follow what they tell ya but these strict surgeons run on the fear factor of scaring ppl from going to the next stage x[/QUOTE]

I must have a 'harsh' surgeon also. I am 2 weeks into my 4 week liquid only post op diet. This will be followied by a 2 week 'mushy' stage and then 2 weeks experimenting with normal foods to see what I can / can't tolerate.

I have no idea if its a long time - I am just following my surgeons and bariatric teams advice - given the fact that having needed the surgery in the first place - they know better than me :)

Personally am not finding it too much of a ball ache - experimenting with lots of different soups, shakes, and good old YOG. And 4 weeks isn't a long time in the grand scheme of things - maybe as an ex- Cambridge Dieter its more 'tolerable'?
x

yep all surgeons have different ways so each should follow whats advised to them x

HURRRRRRRAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

You lot are fab! I was so miserable yesterday thinking i was a cheat, a let down and pretty crap really....i couldn't even stick to a diet after spending so much money!!!
Then....like little angels...you all came out to offer your wonderful (and often funny) thoughts and now i feel much better.

Thanks everyone...i'll carry on slurping for another 2 weeks and see how i get on from there....i am craving the mashed potato bit already! (2 weeks to go!)
xxxxxx

I'm with the WLS Group- I was expecting to be on liquid for 3 weeks, but they said i could go onto sloppies on Saturday (which will be 2 weeks post-op) Hurruh!!

I bit into a baby rusk biscuit (wouldn't recommend it!)...then spat it out. I thought i was going insane and felt so guilty that i was feeling like that already, so soon after the op.

I have found that crunching on ice cubes has been my saviour for 'biting'. Cubes made up with juice/squash/sugarfree jelly...

I hope this helps. :)

Back