• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2 weeks post op-Band- ok to go on mushy/mashed?

EMPRESS PAULA

I am now 2 weeks post op and am doing well, just sick of soup and milk etc, so last night i had chicken and rice mashed up and chewed and chewed it. It went down ok with no problems after. I just wonder if i am being silly by starting early as i should be introducing puree'ed next week, week 3 according to my dietician, so i have not only started early but i have also bypassed the puree stage! I am not trying to run before i can walk but does anyone think it will cause any problems by doing this as i notice that different hospitals give different guidelines compared to my hospital of when to introduce mashed up food!
I want more chicken and rice tonight(approx 6 tablespoons) but now unsure if i should! Thanks x

Hi Paula

I dont really know if you will have caused any damage by eating what you did and nobody on here is in a position to advise over this.

You really should be following the advice given to you by your team, yes the advice varies for people but you should not deviate without clearing it with them first.

Maz x

every team gives different advice i dont know if it will do damage eating that so quickly or not follow providers advice if your desperatly hungry go for mash gravy with mince as it easier to get down

Im not a bander, but would agree with the advice you have already been given. Try if you can to stick to the advice you have received from your surgical team.

Also, as I understand it, as you have fills you may not be able to tolerate foods that you are managing now. If you can wean yourself off/limit these foods in the early stages you will have a much easier time later on.

I'm about 10 weeks post op & i haven't eaten chicken or rice yet but thats through choice........When i had my 2nd fill last week & was told to go on liquids for 24 hours then mushie food for 24 hours otherwise the band could stretch!! But we're all given different advice so it's up to you to do as you see fit.....Good luck :)

Hi there, you should not be having rice at this early stage thats for sure.

I am a year out and I only have rice once in a blue moon.

I was on solids by day 7, so no harm will come to you if you are very very careful. Chicken is a good source of protein.

Hi Paula, ask your team for advice on this. I doubt you'll have hurt anything as some are back on solids within 7 days post op. I have had rice today for the 1st time since my band in may as I was told to be very wary of it. It was only because the dietician I saw on thursday said it was ok to try it now, that I did try it. You may be able to tolerate mash and gravy or weetabix better which should'nt hurt. Give them a ring and tell them you're feeling hungry and they should help you get through this stage.Good luck sweetheartxx

Hi Thanks all for the advice given, I think you are all right, I never realised that rice was such a no no or i would not have had that! I hope i have not done any damage now!! Why is rice so bad?

Rice and pasta can swell in the pouch and basically can be very hard to digest or keep down.

Hi Paula I am 2 weeks post op and am meant to be on sloppy food but have been having some other things as am hungry etc... was worried I might have done some damage - ie. had some cheese well chewed and had some other things - like crab protein sticks well chewed etc as it is hard to stick to liquids and then mush for 2 weeks... I also did research and some people who get banded do get to go back onto solids sooner - I am meant to after 4 weeks but finding it really hard as hunger pangs awful... drinking lots of water though so not sure what is going on - first fill not for 4 weeks!!!! How are you getting on?

Hi Paula I am 2 weeks post op and am meant to be on sloppy food but have been having some other things as am hungry etc... was worried I might have done some damage - ie. had some cheese well chewed and had some other things - like crab protein sticks well chewed etc as it is hard to stick to liquids and then mush for 2 weeks... I also did research and some people who get banded do get to go back onto solids sooner - I am meant to after 4 weeks but finding it really hard as hunger pangs awful... drinking lots of water though so not sure what is going on - first fill not for 4 weeks!!!! How are you getting on?

Hiya
sorry only just getting back to you! I am also hungry but after the rice episode decided to be a bit more careful, but can not do just sloppy anymore so now am having milkshake for brfeckfast, soup and slice of bread for lunch and then a small meal for evening, today it was chicken, potato and ved. It seems to be filling until after 7 at night and then i want to eat!! I realise this is the time i used to overeat so trying to be careful, have eaten silly things some nights unfortunately! But feel it is still alot less than i used to eat!!
The weigh scales will soon tell me !

Ime not a bander but I realy do stress in what Mazza has said. Although Ime not a bander I do still have a lot of knowledge on the band as thats what I opted for originaly so I did read and researched quite a lot. But I have read on hundreds of threads that rice & pasta can swell and some are quite uncomfortable with it moments after comsuming it. But hey ho we all learn by our mistakes Ime the worlds worst believe me LOL Gail.x Ps try some porridge that fills you up!!
Rice and pasta can swell in the pouch and basically can be very hard to digest or keep down.

Hi Paula, without restriction its very difficult not to revert to old habits so know what you mean about old eating patterns time etc.

Has your provider not given youany written advice on keeping a mod ,food dairy as this has been said many times when we see patterns we can then choose to change them.
We are working with a tool, but behaviours we have to change . Keep coming on here and saying how it is it helps us all.

I am back on normal foods, could eat a lot more than i do, but now noticing a sensation in top of chest( not unpleasant ) very early after eating food.

The suggested amount on my plan is 60gs per meal, with a 1/4 of that protein.

Good luck avoid the carbs especially the hard ones rice, bread,pasta

Mia

Hi Pauls,just read your food diary, no wonder you are reaching out to food , Take good care hugs Mia

Back