• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Omeprazole?

Tibs

Hi All,

I'm 9 wks post op and have been taking Omeprazole everyday since the op. My surgeon told me that I'll need to take one every day for life. Just reading online and see that alot of people are off it 6/8wks post op. Anyone else have a surgeon tell them they'll have to take it everyday for life? Should I come off it?
Thanks

I take Lansoprazole which is basically the same thing
i have to take that every day for life too
there is a lot of varied medication you have to take for life after surgery.
It helps with the acid so your best taking it unless told otherwise.
Danni :) x

Do what your surgeon has told you, they have given you advice based on your own surgery. Good luck with your journey

With a band I've only got to take it for a month . So far , touch wood , I havnt had a problem ..

Hi All,

I'm 9 wks post op and have been taking Omeprazole everyday since the op. My surgeon told me that I'll need to take one every day for life. Just reading online and see that alot of people are off it 6/8wks post op. Anyone else have a surgeon tell them they'll have to take it everyday for life? Should I come off it?
Thanks
I have taken Omeprazole since gall bladder surgery in 2008. I have reduced from two to one a day, but any attempts to come off have produced severe stomach acid. Would highly recommend you don't just stop without consulting your surgeon. Haven't had my WLS yet, but guessing excessive acid could be a bad thing for your recovery.

I've been on this lanzaropsole for 6 years since my gastric bypass,2 a day.
I had to stop taking for 2 weeks on doctors orders to have a pylori test done,whilst off these tablets I had the most severe burning pains..soon as I went back on them everything was ok again.

I was on omeprazole for 6 months post sleeve. Came off them successfully, but started getting acid about 3-4 months after that, mostly at night. So I've been back on them for I guess 6 months or so and all is good again. I would imagine it's for life. Small price to pay.

I've been on omeprazole for years and I've not had surgery yet. I agree with others to stick to what your surgeon or medical team have told you. Is it the thought of being on something for life that bothers you?

Do as your told! lol

No, seriously, if your surgeon has told you to its because he is aware you may suffer from acid reflux if you don't.

If you do stop, you run the risk of developing it and damaging your oesophagus and trust me, you don't want to do that.

Every surgeon is different just as we all are but your surgeon is the one who did your op and knows whats best for you xx

Back