• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

OMG a month today !!!

Tracey ( eyore)

Well a month today i under go my op (a bypass)...today though i have nearly talked myself out of it ....WHY, WHY ????? am i doing this .

I am already on the pre-op diet have been for 4 weeks low carbs, high protein low sugar......since starting i have lost 20 lbs....of course this i am pleased about.

my fear is i have a couple of ops for different reasons and both i had probs with and had to go back under the knife...........of course i know not the same surgeon or op's but the fears there........(Mr Olbers knows about these)

Also hearing people saying about being sick having pain when eating post op i remember this feeling well from when i had gall stones (apparently been told very similiar) also after my bowel was cut through and i was not told to eat fluids then mash stuff first and it caused probs.

Why am i doing this to myself its also very hard as my hubby suffers from depression and he finds it hard to talk about me having this op although he is certainly for me having it as he knows it will help with my health probs. I sometimes walk with crutches even been known to use wheelchair if going far.
i do not have support from my family as have not seen them for years and thats the way that will stay as i can no longer be rejected by them each time it hurts more i cant keep putting myself through this.

Only a hand full of people know i am having this op as more than one friend made their opinions clear on this op and that was no way !!!! and they continued to tell all the downsides of having this op shouting out in the middle of a pub where everyone around could hear .

I know i need this op i have fibromylagia and also high bp, high cholesterol for which i am on 5 tablets between them i have emdema badly in both my legs causing alot of pain as well, i had to have hysterectomy 3 years ago due to bad endometriosis and pcos. My weight took away the one thing i wanted in my life that was kids of my own .............i do have a lovely step daughter my angel......but not the same as my own.
Losing weight should give me back some of my life ...............but why today do i think i dont think i can't do this ......................:(

I think we all do this to ourselves. I had nearly talked myself out of my bypass. Now nearly 7 months on, I can't imagine my life without it. My lupus is under control, my joints no longer ache constantly and I have loads of energy to keep up with the kids. I even just went on holiday and enjoyed myself and didn't gain a pound and still managed to eat out everyday (though finding foods that worked was a bit trickier).

You have done brilliantly on the pre op Tracey!

It's perfectly normal to worry and say why can't i do it the 'normal' way! I'm guessing you like the rest of us are brilliant at the 6 weeks diets but when you get to a size that we are it will take a darn sight longer to lose the excess and sustaining that ability to say no to the nicer nibbles in life is not an option....

Keep your determination and the knowledge in your mind that you are going to rock at this surgery.

Your 'blood' family may not be here supporting you, however, 'us' your cyber family have your back 100%. There is nothing you could say or do to us for us to turn our back or not offer comforting cyber hugs when you struggle.

Your husband sounds like he's doing his worrying on the inside and as soon as you have your op and he can see that you're fine then he'll be more able to talk i'm guessing. Men are funny creatures that really should come with a booklet and a remote, unfortunately they don't we have to work without them.....

Good luck hun xx

Tracey, you've been through an awful lot by the sounds of things. I think each & everyone of us has questioned whether or not we are doing the right thing by having WLS and it's only natural for you to have doubts. You still have 4 weeks to think about this, but please don't worry.

People will always post more about the down side of surgery as they are looking for answers & support. We tend not to post the ups as it could appear that we are coming across as 'how great am I'.

Yes, there are lots of problems that can occur and as you know from your own previous experience, surgery isn't always plain sailing. But, speaking for myself, this was the best decision I have ever made. I'm not even 5 months out yet and can already tell you that my health has improved, my outlook has improved, my confidence is way up. I'm doing more and enjoying my life for the first time in years.

Only you can decide what is best for you, but if you have a good surgeon and support, be that from here or your OH if he's able, I'm sure you'll get through it.

I wish you the best of luck in what ever decision you make x

Try not to worry about the previous operations, before my bypass I had had a few operations and they were all pretty ok except from the last one, the stupid anaesthetist pressed on my throat as I dropped off to sleep, something that they said they were planning to do but once I was asleep enough to not notice it, well they didnt, I was still alert when they did it and I woke up with a VERY sore throat and feeling as though I had been strangled, I had nightmares and flashbacks for so long afterwards. I told the people at the hospital this and they assured me that it wouldnt happen and it didnt, it was fine and went well. So please, try to go into it in comfort, you will be fine I bet.
I understand about the wondering if you could do it another way, I felt the same after my pre-op diet and even waiting to go down to surgery, but you know what, we may well be able to lose weight but we cant maintain it and for us guys that turn to surgery, the surgery really is our last and only choice, so please dont feel bad about going for surgery, we wouldnt be doing it if we personally had another option.
HUGE hugs and good luck wishes from me xxxxxxx
Steph xx

Can't add anymore than the wise words you have received already. I'm 9 months post op and have never looked back, i live a "normal" life and can go anywhere and do anything now. Pre op i struggled to do very much of anything! You have done really well on your pre op diet and it is natural to be questioning your decision at this point but stay strong and focus on your "life after surgery" and you will sail through your op. Big hug xx

thank you so much guys ..i really do appreciate your support .....i thinks its just one of those days x

There is nothing more I can add but I totally agree with everyone on here. We are here for you 100%. I think it is quite normal to be having doubts and am fully expecting it to kick in pretty soon for me. Good luck I will be following your progress as I am not far behind you. Well done with the 20lbs loss so far.

thanks guys

Hiya Tracey
I can totally understand your feelings, as am having my op in 3 weeks, and am so nervous and scared, and I am sure these are pretty normal emotions for people in our situation.
Here's hoping we will both be fine and will be really successful.
I thank goodness I found this site, as I would be doubly worried, but reading all the success stories on here, helps me keep a level head (ish lol).
Good luck hun, wishing you all the very best xxxxxxx

Tracey I know its easier said than done when we say "don't worry". This op should hopefully be the start of your new life. With what you've already been through I bet this op will be your favourite one lol. Just think of the weight loss and the new found cofidence you will gain. Good luck sweetheart and we're all here for you if you need to say things you can't say at home. This is why I love this forum. We're all here for the same reasons and we're all here to support each otherxxxx

thanks so much guys ...............i am feeling lots more positive already ....................you guys i can see already will be a important of my life over next few months xxxxx

Hi Tracey,

From what I understand, a certain amount of anxiety is very normal and most people go through that. Having bariatric surgery is a VERY personal decision. I have found that people who are not very familiar with the struggles that a very obese person goes through will (at least initially) have little understanding or compassion for someone like me who is considering having this operation. For this reason I have not told very many people. I need all the support I can get. Please know that you have a huge support group and a wealth of knowledge here on the website.
As others have suggested, it might be worth phoning Karen (the clinical nurse) and see if you can have a chat with her.
You are doing SO BRILLIANTLY WELL on your pre-op diet! Please don't give up, you seem very determined. Dr Olbers is a fantastic surgeon, I have every faith in him and you.

xx

Back