• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Open Surgery or Keyhole

I assume it may be cheaper than laparoscopic for the PCT :)

I had laparoscopic, which is what the majority seems to have. The post about the PCT funding only open surgery (think it was in the walsall manor hospital thread) was the first I've heard of that, but there are a few surgeons about who prefer to do open.

I'm in Leeds and had mine as open surgery. I know that the recovery is longer but for me, scar wise it makes no difference as I already had a scar from previous weight loss surgery. My surgeon Mr Pollard actually used the same scar and cut the old scar out as it had n't healed very well and I had alot of keloid scaring so my skin is tighter there now too.. Bonus lol

I dont know about it being cheaper though as the recovery is longer and people having open surgery tend to stay in longer and need more intensive care (i mean as in kind of care not going to the intensive care) so any money saved would be used on the aftercare. I'm 6 weeks post surgery and still have the District Nurse coming twice a week, who funds that I wonder?

Obviously doing keyhole is going to suit most people better than open for me but I was fine with the open. Just think it depends on the surgeon and what he prefers. From what I know, Mr Pollard at St James in Leeds and Shaw Summers are the main ones that do open (correct me if I'm wrong about Shaw, I've seen him loads of times on the discovery channel doing open surgeries but they make no reference as to when those surgeries actually took place so he may have changed his way of doing the surgery now)

Also I've heard of a few people that started out having keyhole but due to problems during surgery they had to end up having open anyway.

Alia

Just read your 5 1/2 month post op catch up.
Your weight loss is fantastic. Well done.

thank you :)

hadn't thought of it that way Alia, d'oh me! Not sure why they only fund open then.

Hi, Everyone,
I've read on here, somewhere, (sorry, can't remember where) that Sandwell PCT will only fund open surgery.
Has anyone got any idea why this is?
Hiya, I'm with Sandwell PCT and they will only fund me for an open procedure. I don't know if that applies to all. They may take individual needs into consideration. An open procedure doe's not bother me though, i'm just thankful to Sandwell PCT for the funding they have given me, as a lot of people are not so fortunate to get funding at all.

Hi there
I had Mr Pollard too so I was done as open surgery. Don't worry about it though, I know it seems quite scary having a long scar but mine is almost gone and I'm only 5 months out....Bio-oil and lots of body lotion are my top tips!
I don't feel that my recovery was any worse than keyhole, aside from the staples which can be uncomfortable but they are out before you know it!
Good luck with everything! x

Hi there
I had Mr Pollard too so I was done as open surgery. Don't worry about it though, I know it seems quite scary having a long scar but mine is almost gone and I'm only 5 months out....Bio-oil and lots of body lotion are my top tips!
I don't feel that my recovery was any worse than keyhole, aside from the staples which can be uncomfortable but they are out before you know it!
Good luck with everything! x
Thankyou Cat, I'm definatly gona get some Bio-oil, I've heard that thats good for scars before somewhere. You take care too.

Back