• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

open surgery bypass

juni

I have been looking through all the treads...be kind to me I am new at this site... finding out about bypass experiences

I am having open bypass surgery at york hospital on 30th April ....also having a gall bladder removed after years of pain and a hernia fixed ...so a 'three for one'

I wondered if anyone else has had open bypass surgery ...

What was the proceedure like ?
length of stay in hospital?

How did your first days go? be honest!

How was the change of food/lifestyle

I would like to here from anyone waiting to go in for open surgery bypass or folk who have had a bypass

thanks for your support so far

juni

Hi Juni, I'm sorry I can't help you as I'm pre op for banding but just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I'm sure someone will be along soon to offer you loads of advice as there are plenty of bypass's on here that know what they are talking about. Good luck x Gaynor x

I have been looking through all the treads...be kind to me I am new at this site... finding out about bypass experiences

I am having open bypass surgery at york hospital on 30th April ....also having a gall bladder removed after years of pain and a hernia fixed ...so a 'three for one'

I wondered if anyone else has had open bypass surgery ...

What was the proceedure like ?
length of stay in hospital?

How did your first days go? be honest!

How was the change of food/lifestyle

I would like to here from anyone waiting to go in for open surgery bypass or folk who have had a bypass

thanks for your support so far

juni

Hi Juni and welcome to minis I had a open bypass on 2ND Jan the op went good and I was in Hospital for 4 days would have been less but the swollow dept wasnt open at the weekend so had to wait lol.

The first day after op wasnt to bad loads of pain releif, but the fist morning home was hell. I was in so much pain trying to get out of bed all I did was cry. But saying that I have no regrets. The 4 weeks fluid diet for me was ok the puree stage was minging so lived on soup at this stage. I dont think about food now as what can I have, I think oooo I best have something to survive lol

thankyou
Your amazing...keep going

Thanks for being so honest I expected it to be like this ...so will take all your advise onboard...

My husband said for the surgeon...
finding my gall bladder and fixing the hernia....
'it will be like rummaging about in the bottom of a big shopping bag for his keys'...hahahaha...men

juni

Hi I too am having a Bypass and gall bladder removal at the moment it is down as an open procedure but my surgeon has sent a letter to my pct to see if they will change to key hole but am not holding my breath. lol. My op is scheduled for 20th May and feel a lot more positive about than I have done over the last week or so. I have a feeling I will have a drain aswell as the normal cathetar. I am fully prepared to have to stay in hospital an extra day or so.

Hello Terri

I have a hernia under my tummy button size of a bowling ball so that forces them to open surgery...so no choice

I am ready for the days of being sore and the feeling horried but keep thinking of my future...

Thanks for adding a comment and Good luck to you

juni

I had open bypass in july 2008. I was in hospital for 3 days.
The first day after op is ok, there are feelings of soreness with some pain, the pain killers are fairly good.
Once home the first week is painfull at times especially getting up and out of bed. I found sleaping was very hard and painfull as I tend to toss and turn during the night anyway.
My wound opened up in places which wasnt painfull but was a pain in the arse as I had to go to doc's and have it dressed daily for about 2 weeks.
The change in lifestyle for me was dramatic, food wise I couldnt really eat properly for about 6 months, I lived on pretty much soups and cheese spreads..............lol.
It's really only in the last month or so that I can pretty much eat anything other than anything spicey. I have to eat very slowly and chew, chew, chew, chew ...................... lol.

THANKYOU....

wOW...you are doing so well...glad to hear the good and bad ...I am getting ready now..reading as much as I can, chatting to experienced folk like you has been a great help..

Keep up the wonderful work

again many thanks for your comments
Juni

hiya

I had open bypass in August. Had staples in for about a week, then removed. Had part of the scar that just didnt want to heal properly and got an infection. The most annoying thing was trying to keep it dry when in the shower as I became allergic to the sticky waterproof dressing.
Once the scar healed and the scabs fell off it was fine and I felt 100% better, strange how little things work eh?

I had trouble sleeping anyway other than on my back as it pulled my wound. That did ease after about a week to 10 days and I could eventually sleep on my side again ;)

Overall it is a slower healing process but it also reminds you more that you have had major surgery and makes you slow down.

Down sides ? A scar but Im disgusing mine with a tattoo. and its not like Im going to be parading myself in a bikini, heaven forbid.

Good luck

Back